PDA

View Full Version : full skid needed for mx?

tants
07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
right now im not running any skids...

would you recondmend a full skid? i plan on racing mx. and most mx bikes i see run full skid. could this be because if your bottom out your frame would hit the ground?

:uhoh:

toby400ex
07-07-2003, 03:53 PM
i always thought it was because of deep ruts in turns, but my frame did hit the ground when i broke my wrist from overshooting a double:mad:

tants
07-07-2003, 03:54 PM
ill probly get a skid... normal or heavy duty... hmmmmm :scary:

trx400ex
07-08-2003, 05:36 AM
you dont need one, but they help when your frame hits the ground that its doesnt smash the tubes in ...i dont run one

400grl
07-08-2003, 05:48 AM
I don't run one either....I know my rotor has made grooves in the deep stuff before, though! :)

AtvMxRider
07-08-2003, 08:44 AM
I run a frame skid but I don't run a swing arm skid for mx. The swing arm skid acts like a shovel when you go threw deep ruts and mud it just digs in.

Rip_Tear
07-08-2003, 01:49 PM
For mx they should make a "ring" like polaris does for their trails blazers (and what ever other crap they make...) on for the chain and one for the disc, just to take that damage... JMO

MxDale71
07-08-2003, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't run skids. If you have them on your a-arms, mud will pack up on top of them and it will make your front end very heavy. I didn't run one on the swing arm either because it will make it easier for the quad to high center in corners when there are deep ruts. Sure it might be a little better on your chain and sprocket to run skids, but *****... if you plan on racing MX, that stuff isn't going to stay perfect very long anyways. I also never had problems w/ my rotors. The way I see it, skids are just extra weight, and we all know that quads don't need any extra weight.

RIDER11X
07-08-2003, 05:14 PM
The chassis skid will help if you case a jump to keep the frame from grabbing so hard and possibly launching you over the bars, but that is about it.:)

racerx573
07-09-2003, 04:20 PM
I dont run one right now, cuz my old AC doesnt fit my Laeger, but I ran one last year. sure its a b1tch to clean, but it protects a lotta stuff. Hey Jones runs one..lol....I am gonna either make one or order a plastic one from Maier. theyre pretty cheap too.

07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
when you bottom your shocks ur frame should not hit the floor no matter what. If it does there is something wrong with the shocks. Most people dont run a arm skids bc i dont know of a company that sells one for extended a arms. I run a belly and a swingarm skid. Its cheap insurance. Why risk bending sprockets, rotors, breaking chains, etc. If you got the money to keep replacing these parts then dont run one but i sure dont have enough to. And its not like its that much trouble to have one. Its more of a headache to not have one. And i know some people are not just groomed MX tracks so if u wanna do a little trail riding or rougher terrain you will know u still have some protection. JMO :cool:

breaks-alot
07-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Running with out a chassis skid is like racing without a helmet on. If you have a Laeger chassis we just make our own. oh yeah when you have a skid plate what you do is put that foam tape where it hit against the frame. Matt Bartosek went through like 3 or 4 a year. But if he didn't have them on that YZ motor would have been trashed (broken cases). If you boys are still ridding without them good luck.

Later,
Ben Gunter

hondamxer161
07-10-2003, 03:43 PM
i always run a chassis skid, and the one i have is TRASHED. so that means its hittin something!
Protect those cases boys and girls!

mike

quadracer99
07-11-2003, 04:06 AM
i ran a chassis skid but no s-arm skid. and i wouldnt consider AC for a chassis, my friend has one on his Rapt. and one day of mx, the thing was so dented, it was up into the case:mad: :scary:

QuadTrix6
07-11-2003, 08:52 AM
i am yet to find an MX track without a rock or two and in jack frosts case a few boulders :rolleyes: , but anyways zack i would definetly run a skid, with my a arms i had to notch my prm skid for the zerks but it was no big deal, try to find a deal i actually got my skid off this site for FREE from a member who didn't need it anymore :D

tants
07-11-2003, 05:12 PM
thats sweet... free stuff is always cool

i can get a full skid for a great price from ac under the sponcorship thing... ill probly order it in about a week

TCracin440ex
07-11-2003, 05:23 PM
i got a skid on my 400ex but its a bash plate....its light weight plastic maier bash plate it does just as good as the alu. plates...but not the extra weight

Scott-300ex
07-12-2003, 08:59 AM
if you do get a skid i would get a light one, for the weight savings since you don't really even need it that much, but i would be a good idea, also it will give you a hair more ground clearence than a heavy duty.....lol

MxDale71
07-13-2003, 02:07 PM
If the frame shouldn't hit the ground, then just about every quad I have seen around this area has something wrong w/ the shocks. I see the quads do it all the time.

muff
07-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
If the frame shouldn't hit the ground, then just about every quad I have seen around this area has something wrong w/ the shocks. I see the quads do it all the time.

if mike walshs frame hits the ground, and my friend with quad rate LT elkas and my quad with standard travel tcs all hit the ground at some point, i dont see anything wrong

yes it would be awesome if the shocks would stop before they get that far, but from the looks of it the suspension companies arent that advanced yet :rolleyes: