PDA

View Full Version : Taking Out A Chain Link

Ryan
07-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Ok, I basically know how to do it........ Except im having problems getting the master link off the chain. I toke off the clip and lightly banged the master link studs with a punch. It still does not want to come off. Can anyone give me some input on the this? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

XANDADA
07-07-2003, 08:08 AM
You need to grind off the end of one of the pins before you can punch it through. Make sure you got it sized right before you grind it cause there's no going back once you do...

Ryan
07-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Well all of the other studs look like they are punched with a hammer (To keep them from comming out). The Master Link has smooth studs and it looks as if they do not need to be grinded :confused:

XANDADA
07-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Oh, I thought you were shortening the chain. One of the plates on the master link (the side with the clip) should just slide out with almost no effort.

XANDADA
07-07-2003, 08:28 AM
After removing the clip it should slide right out. If the chains old, maybe it is rusted a little. Spray it with some penatrating oil and let it sit for a while:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/gallery/web/insert-master-link.jpg

Ryan
07-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Ok, thanks. My chain is a bit old, but not rusted..... That sucker just doesn't wanna budge. I'll throw some WD-40 on there and see what happens.

tprender
07-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Sometimes the pins on the side plates are very tight. I have used a flat screw drive to get the side plate off. It will cut the o-rings. If you are trying to take a link out to get the chain tight it will not work. You can only take out an even number of links at a time. If the chain is that lose, most liky it is worn out(stregthed out) and you need a new chain. When replacing the chain do the sprokets at the same time or you will only get about half the lift out of the chain.

Ryan
07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the input. I finally got my chain off. I ended up breaking a perfectly good flat head screwdriver but eventually, it came off.

As for taking out the links...... I have done this before with bicycles, minibikes ect, so I know how to do it.

Thanks again.

07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Thanks for the input. I finally got my chain off. I ended up breaking a perfectly good flat head screwdriver but eventually, it came off.

As for taking out the links...... I have done this before with bicycles, minibikes ect, so I know how to do it.

Thanks again.

Unless its a new chain thats just got an extra couple links your idea is only going to work short term (very short if its a high hp macnine thats ridden a lot).

What happens is that when a chain stretches to the point that you can not tighten it properly thru the normal adjustment the chains pins and bushing have worn.

Once the pins and bushing wear enough to show obvious signs of by way of a strecthed chain there is now enough clearence between the pin and bushing that the actuall pitch of the chain (the length from pin to pin) has increased and isnt going to mesh correctly with the sprocket.

When the chain doesnt mesh properly with the sprocket it will wear the teeth down very quickly and now you will need both a new chain and sprockets.

SO if the sprockets are somehow still within spec and not allready damaged just pick up a new chain b4 you do need the new sprockets.

As advised earlier you are best to replace everything after the chain has obviously streached since mixing old worn out and new stuff will just wear the new ones pre maturely.

Hope that explains why though you may know how to do it you may not be exactly understanding what and why to do it.