PDA

View Full Version : parking brake block off

R-Crazy
01-14-2002, 08:54 PM
what would a parking brake block off do? why do a lot really suped up quads have them?

dave

01-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Most emergency brakes on quads just burn up pads and most people don't use there parking brakes,,I know I don't...I took mine off about 2 days after I bought the quad.

R-Crazy
01-15-2002, 09:36 PM
how much do they cost

dave

RideRed400EX
01-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Don't pay any more than $25.00 bucks. They are all the same except for the brand logo. Most people go with an after market clutch lever after putting one but I think you will lose reverse by doing this.

01-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Yeah you will loose your reverse lever mechanism if you go with a block off on a 300ex I beleive.

01-17-2002, 06:41 AM
Does anyone have instructions on installing a parking break block-off on a 300EX? Is it the same as the 400EX that Rico replied to? Will you loose reverse if you change the perch or by just installing the block-off?

Scott
01-17-2002, 07:21 AM
You will not lose reverse, the gear, you will eliminate the need for the little red button with the "R" on it.

I'll see if I can talk you through this...

You're eliminating two cables, the parking break cable and the reverse cable. Follow the reverse cable around to where it connects on the right side of the engine, beside the right footpeg. Push the R button and pull in the clutch while watching the end of the reverse cable. Notice how the cable rotates the shaft going through the side case? Now that you know where it connects, and what it does, remove the reverse cable. Rotate the countershaft just like the reverse cable did and safety wire it in place. This allows you to still use reverse. You'll have to shift to neutral (just like before) and then pull up on the lever on the left side (just like before). Take the reverse cable and get rid of it, you don't need it anymore.

For the parking brake cable, look at the rear of the 300. On the inside of the caliper assembly (side toward the shock as you're standing behind the quad), you'll see where the parking brake cable attaches to a small lever. It's a gold anodized finish if I remember correctly. Disconnect the parking brake cable from this lever, disconnect it from the clutch perch assembly and get rid of it. If you look at your new block off plate, you'll see how it matches up with the back of the caliper assembly. Two bolts and the parking break actuating lever (the one I thought was gold colored), worm gear and the rubber dust cover all come right off. Put your block off cover on using these same two bolts and you're done back there.

Next thing would be to temporarily secure the parts on the clutch perch that are now vibrating around with safety wire, or just replace the clutch perch and lever right now.

As for the parking break block off's, I got mine for $12, and I'm pretty sure RedRider is selling them for about $10. The same block off plate fits the 300ex, 400ex, Yamaha Wolverine, and I don't know what all else. A lot of quads use the same Nilson brake parts.