PDA

View Full Version : My dog attacked a little boy today.

DREWS400EX
07-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Ok, this 5 year old comes over to play with my daughter everyday and taunts my dog. Today he was messin with the dogs food and got bit on his cheek and on his back(had to have stitches). I was right there and grabbed the dog b4 something really bad happened. The cops called me and said Im gettin a couple tickets for not having his shots up to date. The cop also said to bring the dog in tomorrow and I have 2 choices, 1- put the dog down and they will do some testing for rabies, or 2- dog stays somewhere for 10 days to see if its bad(mean), if he is then they put him down, if not they do some tests and give him shots then I get him back. I guess my ? is will my homeowners insurance pay for the kids hospital bills, or is it even my fault since the kid was messin with the dogs food? Someone help me out I dont know the first thing to do:(

Castor-426ex
07-06-2003, 05:53 PM
was the dog chained?

by the dog not being up to date on his vaccinations thats not good

homeowners insurance may cover the damages depending on if they knew you had pets to begin with

TC17
07-06-2003, 05:55 PM
if the kid was messin with your dogs food is natural for the dog to protect it's food. almost all dogs are like that. if you touch my dogs food, he'll bark at you and if you take his bone, he'll bite but he's the nicest dog in the world. if the kid was taunting it, good for him, that's what he gets. learn the hard way. did the kid walk into your yard? was he on a leash or tied up? fence? if he was and the kid came in your yard and the dog had a leash on it then it's not your fault, it's the kids. if it was on the street with no leash runnin wild which i doubt then it was yours. SOME cops always find a way to screw you even if it's not what they're looking for and that does NO good at all but piss you off and those cops are arseholes and those are the kind that don't like kids riding trails and having fun...sorry off subject.

batgeek
07-06-2003, 06:00 PM
wow...that kinda sucks.

does your dog usually freak out when you go for his food?

thats one of the first things i break my dog from doing.

did you tell the kid not to mess with the dog, or the dogs stuff(especially his food). not that it will remove your liability, but it sure tells me that the kid aint to bright.

that stuff isn't defaulted in general homeowners insurance. that is usually a special add on, so you would definitely know if you had it.

SGA
07-06-2003, 06:01 PM
What kind of dog is it? Big dog or little dog? I would bet you will be responsible because it is your dog, at your house. You should have had the dog locked up away from the kid, or told the kid to stay away from the dog. Maybe you told the kid and he did not listen? How many 5 year olds listen anyway?, you need to keep tabs on them.

My dog is getting old and grouchy. Shes a sweet dog, but may snap if a kid grabs/surprises her. I keep her locked up if we have a BBQ or BD party. I also tell all visiting kids not to run up behind her and grab her or pull her tail. Never had a problem. Well, yes I have...She has snapped at kids twice. Thats why I take the precautions.

Martin Blair
07-06-2003, 06:01 PM
is the family pressing charges? if they are or if the cops say he needs to be put down i would fight it, if he was messing with his food any dog is goign to bite if i doesnt know the kid to well or any perosn adn there mesing wiht his food.

roostin_dale
07-06-2003, 06:02 PM
oh jeesh!! I wouldn't know what to do! It is a dog's natural instinct to attack when someone messes with its food!! My dog attacked my 6 year old neighbor but she was ok!

Hope your dog turns out ok!

Honda4trax250x
07-06-2003, 06:09 PM
wow ur in quite a pickle!

DREWS400EX
07-06-2003, 06:12 PM
The kid just walks into my yard and taunts my dog and yes he is always chained up to a tree. I tell EVERY kid that comes over to stay away from the dog. I dont know what he weighs, but when standing on all fours hes about 2 foot tall(medium size). I havent got a chance to talk to his mother after they got back from the hospital I dont know if she will sue or not. I just finished putting together a chain link dog kennel(6 foot by 14 foot) till this blows over. Heres a pic. I just took hes half black lab half dalmation.

JOEX
07-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Hope the kid is ok....
Call your insurance agent...Review your policy... I wouldn't be surprised it the agent tries to back out of the the situation.....

That is why it is very important to review your policy and admendments..... I would think the incident should be covered on the homeowners policy minus the deductible...

Joe

Chanman420q
07-06-2003, 06:16 PM
my dog is very protective of everyone in the family, but by dog has bit me, when i tried to move him, we used to not leave him in the house if no one was home and put him in a cage in the garage. well 1 day before i was going out, i was telling him to go into the garage an he wasnt moving, so i grabbed his collar like i usually do when he doesnt listen and he had a fit, my holy god! the sob bit me in the leg, well i got mad did some thin........ got him in the garage, well when i went to his bed i relised he had a bone that he was defending......... so i wasnt to mad, but i did bleed :o

i would explain to her/his family that u had told there child not to mess with the dog serveral times, and this time they went to far. I dont think its ur fault when by nature every animal is like that.

DREWS400EX
07-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Everyone I talk to says the boy deserved it, but when I was carrying him home and looked at the "stuff" hangin from his cheek I was ready to shoot the dog right there. Now I cant see gettin rid of him.

K2Snow
07-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Ah, how familiar is this? When I was little, I was laying down next to a dog petting it. I went to move his food bowl so I could pet him and he bit me right in the face. I had to go to the ER and get like my whole face stitched together! The dog was a pitbull and was put down shortly after the accident. Fortunately, after all of the stitches I have no permanent marks or scars, I got lucky. That doesn't answer your question bro, but I just felt like sharing my childhood trauma ;) Good luck though. I'm sure everything will turn out alright once allt he facst are staightened out.

TeamC&GRacer
07-06-2003, 06:34 PM
its had to belive a dog like that, half lab and dalmation, would do that even if you were touching its food, i know its the instinct, but it looks like a sweet dog. I have a yellow lab, shes the sweetest dog ive ever had, whatever mood shes in she will never growl or show signs of discomfort.. before that i had a male lab, and it was also sweet, although it did bite me a few times when i tried to move him when he wasnt feeling well.. i dont think you should be responsible for the accident. The boy was told numerous times not to irriate it and it was on a leash. I hope everything turns out ok and you get to keep your doggy :) best of luck to you!

derekhonda
07-06-2003, 07:45 PM
whenever i come to a situation like this, i always try and look at it from a different perspective. If you had a poisenous snake, in a cage, and the boy stuck his hand in and got bit, would you be responsible. I wouldnt think so, but it really puzzles me. best of luck to you.

Big400EX
07-07-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by SGA
What kind of dog is it? Big dog or little dog? I would bet you will be responsible because it is your dog, at your house. You should have had the dog locked up away from the kid, or told the kid to stay away from the dog. Maybe you told the kid and he did not listen? How many 5 year olds listen anyway?, you need to keep tabs on them.

My dog is getting old and grouchy. Shes a sweet dog, but may snap if a kid grabs/surprises her. I keep her locked up if we have a BBQ or BD party. I also tell all visiting kids not to run up behind her and grab her or pull her tail. Never had a problem. Well, yes I have...She has snapped at kids twice. Thats why I take the precautions.

Thats not right, it's his house. If he wanted to have his dog out(which is perfectly fine) then so be it! Dogs usually act a little strange when they dont know someone, so if maybe you or someone in your family touched the food it wouldn't matter, but since the strange touched it, someone he is unfamiliar with the dog he will get pissed!

Ben
07-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your problem :( The legal fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter that the child taunted your dog, because a court would say that you have a duty to protect a child from your animal. It is ashame, but that is the way these things are viewed from a legal standpoint.

Good luck with the process and please keep us informed on what happens.

Ben

SGA
07-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Im glad Ben cleared that up. Kind of off subject here. From what I understand, anyone that is hurt on your properties, for whatever reason, you are responsible. If you have a loose brick on the patio, and you point it out, and that person still trips on it and hurts themselves, you are still responsible.

I think if a thief is climbing through your window, and it drops on his head, you are responsible. Is that right Ben?

Bottom line, have good liability insurance. I keep a good bit on the house, and a million for my business.
Also, be very careful who you let drive your car. If they are in a wreck, I think you can be held responsible.

Ben
07-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Im glad Ben cleared that up. Kind of off subject here. From what I understand, anyone that is hurt on your properties, for whatever reason, you are responsible. If you have a loose brick on the patio, and you point it out, and that person still trips on it and hurts themselves, you are still responsible.

I think if a thief is climbing through your window, and it drops on his head, you are responsible. Is that right Ben?

Bottom line, have good liability insurance. I keep a good bit on the house, and a million for my business.
Also, be very careful who you let drive your car. If they are in a wreck, I think you can be held responsible.

I would say you are probably correct Howard. Liability insurance is a necessary evil these days, helps protect you from those who view accidents as a lottery system (i.e. they can get lots of money from someone else for no work at all). The duty one owes to visitors in his home or business is huge, but the one owed to a child in your home or business is even greater, especially when it comes to animals attacking children. Once again - this is a sad situation, I hope it works out for you....

kaneman23
07-07-2003, 03:00 AM
Sorry your in such a mess. However it's your dog, your house, and your responsibility. The SPA, Vet, or law enforcement will probably want to test the dog for food aggressivness and if he is they will probably destroy him. Do you have any family that can take care of him? If you trully love him get him out of your house ASAP. If the law comes for him, then you can tell them you destroyed him. You may want to contact a lawyer in case anyone tries to file a law suit.

Honda4trax250x
07-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by kaneman23
Edit because I posted twice..

did u know u can just delete it???

anyway about the dog, call the parents and explain to them that u constantly warned him about taunting ur dog, but tell them u still feel responsible and would like to pay the medical bills, and settle this out of court. otherwise in court the parents lawyer is probably gonna try to hit u for a lot more money

kaneman23
07-07-2003, 04:21 AM
done and thanks!

stace609
07-07-2003, 04:41 AM
As long as it's not a pit bull, your homeowner's should cover it. When we were getting a dog, i found a puppy that was half pit bull and hte lady warned us if something happened most homeowners ins. doesn't over pit bulls.

250x#93
07-07-2003, 05:32 AM
That sux man, sorry to hear:( Good luck wit the whole deal:cool:

dirtmomma
07-07-2003, 05:33 AM
Man that sucks......VERY sorry to hear what happened. I hope you get to keep your dog. I have a Chow that I have to keep in a kennel when we have company, but if my son has friends over I tell them if they tease the dog they WILL get bit & it WILL hurt. It's more than pit bulls that the homeowners ins. worries about it's also dobermans,shepards,rots,chows, our insurance person has not seen our Chow:eek2: but I also have beware of dog signs posted all over the gate so I figure if someone comes in w/o my permission they should have read the signs, they are there for a reason. GOOD LUCK I hope you don'thave to destroy your dog that would suck!!!

DREWS400EX
07-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I took the dog to the vet today and they said I can pick him up in 10 days:D Its going to cost me $10 a day plus whatever shots and gettin him fixed costs. I dont know yet what is going on with the boys parents, but they know what the past 2 years have been like for me(cancer, wife passed away leaving me with 5 and 7 year old daughters to take care of, then got both my hips replaced....and I'm only 28), so they might take it easy on me.

zephead400ex
07-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Drew, good luck man...horrible situation! Hopefully the kids parents will be somewhat understanding and take it easy on you and your wallet!

My story:
My roommate has a little dog that was his sisters. His sister got rid of the dog b/c her little boy who is only 1yr, would pester the dog to no end and the dog was starting to get p*ssed off and jumping on and trying to bite the little boy. Well, she gave the dog to my roommate (we live in an apartment that is connected to his sisters house). Tanner (the little boy) was looking in the trash can one day, not provoking the dog in any way, and the dog jumps up and clings on to Tanners face, ripping his left cheek wide open and had to have 13 stitches. My roommate still has the dog...end of my story;)

peace

250x#93
07-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Well I hope it all works out man:devil: This has to really suck to have this happen now, sorry to hear about ur wife and ur other troubles:( Sounds like u have had a ruff time

honda350r
07-07-2003, 04:43 PM
That same thing happend to my nephew,he was at his uncles house and got bite on the face.. Cost his uncle 75,000.00!!

You had better hope you neighbors are more understanding than my nephews own family!

I hate dogs that bite !!!!!!!!

Can you say lawsuit?

SGA
07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
You have had it bad, I hope it works out for you.

cool 300ex
07-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Man i hope every things go's ok.I would do number 2 if i wear you.Man i hate to see you lose you dog like that i am sure you love your dog just as much as i love mine.I hate to see you lose a nice dog like that.My dog wont bite you when you mess with his food but my moms dog who is old he will nip at you.Well sorry i can't help you out because i am only a kid and don't know much about this stuff.But like i said hope you get out of this ok and don't lose your dog.

Big400EX
07-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Thats not absolutley correct, throughout all of the land in the world that people go on, if they get hurt it's their fault. So basically they cant have every piece of land secured so they cant come around and sew you if people go on your property when they are asked not to..

phatswinn
07-07-2003, 04:52 PM
i think all kids get bitten, i got bitten by my dog when i was 5 cuz i used to rid on his back and one time i got on him while he was eating and he bit me in the face, fromt he roof of my mouth to on the top of my head...his name was bear can ya guess why?

but i think u should talk to the kids parents and explain what happened, after they cool of allitle i think they'll uunderstand, just make some kind of agree ment and say that ull keep the dog in a crate when he comes over or something

Jay300ex
07-07-2003, 05:17 PM
I hate to hear about bad things happening to people. Anyone for that matter.

Here is a messed up story, but it goes to that legal issue thing..

My neighbor has a rotty, and someone was breaking into his house one night and the dog attacked him. The burlur sued and one.

ISNT THAT SO F*CKED UP?!

Sorry I had to..

Jay

hondafox440
07-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Hey man, I know exactly what you're going through. We recently got rid of my dog, after he bit my sister's boyfriend. He was the nicest dog to any of us in the family, but he was over protective, and wasn't around too many other people while being raised (my parents figured it would be easier to keep him away from people than to train him to get along). The dog also went nuts when the doorbell rang, and it was Halloween, so trick or treaters were constantly ringing it so he was already hyped up and eveything. It was a freak accident how the kid got bit, because he was leaning around a door frame watching TV, and he bent his face down (which you shouldn't do regardless of what kind of dog it is), and as he did that the doorbell rang and the dog jumped up to bark and caught his lip with either his paw or eye tooth (we still dont really know). Anyways, my sister (who is a huge hypocrite to begin with, and loved the dog prior to this, she was the one who insisted on getting it) was "afraid" of him and wanted him gone, even though she continued to walk him :confused: . So after looking for about 6 months my parents found a new home for him. I tried hard to let my parents keep the dog, because he really grew on me during those 6 months, but to no avail. I don't really know the details of where he is now, and never bothered to ask my parents, because even now after a few months I'm still pissed at my parents and especially my sister for it, but whatever. I know no charges were pressed, but the cops did have to come down and make sure the dog wasn't rabid and such.

I still miss him.. :(

Dune Surfer
07-07-2003, 05:46 PM
I hate to sound like a parent...but if your dog attacked one of my kids, for any reason I would kill it and sue you. I love pets but any animal that hurts a person should be put down.:grr: :grr:

KASCHAK
07-07-2003, 06:31 PM
that sucks. hope everthing works out for you. there was a robery on a blind man that had a chainlink fence around here. when the robber was leaving he caught his leg on the fence and broke his leg. the rober sued the blind man. and he won.

Nausty
07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
i know a kid who got 10k from a insurence company because he got bit by a dog.:o

Good luck man! I hope everything works out for you.

To me though it just seems like one of those freak accidents.

wyotrey
07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
oh man, i hate to hear things like "for whatever reason, i'd sue you." everyone is so damn sue happy anymore. when i was younger, everyone had been bitten by a dog once. and if you were, it was usually your own damn fault. for example:

a guy down the street owned a little bar. my parents would hang out there on the weekends, and me and my sister would go with. he had this dog named toby, and the dog loved his m&m's. i had been told many times not to take toby's m&m's from him, but did i listen? no. so one time i took them, and that sob sure bit me, and my dad stood there and watched him do it. i learned my lesson too, never did it again. did my parents sue? heck no, it was my own fault for not paying attention in the first place.

drew, good luck with this. i hope it doesnt turn out bad. i couldnt imagine getting rid of my dogs. i have two black labs, and they are always with me. heck, one of them even loves to ride on the 300ex. let us know how it works out. i know if someone tried to take my food, id bite the hell out of them too.

toby400ex
07-08-2003, 01:55 AM
I dont see the point in sueing, its like, while where at it we might as well get some cash. And then its like to the kid, heres some cash to make u feel better.:huh

kaneman23
07-08-2003, 06:02 AM
That's a rude but typical statement coming from you. You don't even know the circumstances or details but you want to sue and kill.

sly400ex
07-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I hate to sound like a parent...but if your dog attacked one of my kids, for any reason I would kill it and sue you. I love pets but any animal that hurts a person should be put down.:grr: :grr:

Yeah man, I generally respect what you say or think, but after that comment, which was very immature, I no longer respect you. You shouldn't just come off and say something like that, that was totally uncalled for.....I'm not trying to flame.....but that was wrong.........

kaneman23
07-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Tell me about it... I don't have any respect for him either...

UglyMotha™
07-08-2003, 06:51 AM

well that was a really good coment if coming from any other pathetic money hungry human being that takes any chance he gets to make a buck for nothing, i can understand wanting the dog put down but the comment about suing was very low of you specially coming from an adult animals are animals they always will be no matter how well they are trained they will always still have there wild instict and that's a fact if this was your kid in this situation you should have been more of a parent and taught your kid right from wrong and that dogs or any other animal are not be teased the dog was even chained so there's no excuse and if the child was to young to know better than he should have never been out of you site in the first place that is what is wrong with todays world we seriously lack punishment and no matter the situation we always blame everybody else but ourselves and that's exactly what you just did dunesurfer i would have expected more from you but after your statment to me your no better than all those fat slobs that trying to sue mcdonalds for there overweight problem

TheRedRebel17
07-08-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
well that was a really good coment if coming from any other pathetic money hungry human being that takes any chance he gets to make a buck for nothing, i can understand wanting the dog put down but the comment about suing was very low of you specially coming from an adult animals are animals they always will be no matter how well they are trained they will always still have there wild instict and that's a fact if this was your kid in this situation you should have been more of a parent and taught your kid right from wrong and that dogs or any other animal are not be teased the dog was even chained so there's no excuse and if the child was to young to know better than he should have never been out of you site in the first place that is what is wrong with todays world we seriously lack punishment and no matter the situation we always blame everybody else but ourselves and that's exactly what you just did dunesurfer i would have expected more from you but after your statment to me your no better than all those fat slobs that trying to sue mcdonalds for there overweight problem

Wow, thast alot of run on setences, but i agree with you 100%

UglyMotha™
07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
Wow, thast alot of run on setences, but i agree with you 100%

grammer never was one of my strong points back in school :(

plus i was just typing how i felt i wasn't trying to type and english paper ;)

TheRedRebel17
07-08-2003, 07:09 AM
grammer never was one of my strong points back in school :(

plus i was just typing how i felt i wasn't trying to type and english paper ;)

that explains it all...:blah:

honda350r
07-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Wait till you guys have kids of your own,then see how you act when you 5 yr old comes home with a ripped off face and scared for life! Tell me you would kill the dog ! I would!!

UglyMotha™
07-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
Wait till you guys have kids of your own,then see how you act when you 5 yr old comes home with a ripped off face and scared for life! Tell me you would kill the dog ! I would!!

i said i could see putting the dog down, the sueing comment is what i'm refering to, i can't see why you didn't pick up on it i can tell you right now if my kid came home with a gash from a dog yes more then likely i'm goin to grab my 870 and head down the street, that will be my first intent i won't deny that but then again it's more my fault than anybody elses that i hadn't taught my own kid better and further more what on earth was i thinking letting my 5 yearold play down the street unsupervised, i think any parent that would even think of letting there 5 yearold go down the street unsupervised should be hung as an example, i mean come on what were you thinking when i was a kid i wasn't even allowed to leave my yard until i was 13 (little sarcasm) because you know why, because my parents were actually doing there job, don't hand this crap wait until you have kids, cause i already know what it's like to have kids which brings me back to the example of unresponsible parents once again putting off the blame

250exer
07-08-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but based on personal experience, if you get sued on this, your insurance company will lose. $10K would be getting off easy. My boy was bit on the face when he was 9 (13 years ago) and it cost the neighbors insurance company about $65K. And that didn't include medical bills. They were paid by my insurance company.

My wife and I struggled with the lawsuit. 100% of the money went to my boy so there was no conflict of interest, but we still weren't sure if it was the right thing. He had a total of 3 operations to try to minimize the scars. Very hard to see now.

In retrospect we wouldn't do it (sue) over. But if you have a neighbor like me, you will lose the on this. Even if your dog bites a burglar I don't think you're necessarily lawsuitproof.

By the way, in my case the owner had brought the dog home from being neutered that day. My boy did nothing to provoke it. It's a drag when you go to get your 9 year old from the screaming neighbors house and there's holes in his face and his lip is hanging off. No long-term damage though.

Good luck and I hope your neighbor makes a better choice than I did.

kaneman23
07-08-2003, 02:47 PM

WERD Brother! I wanted to write some more but time wasn't on my side today @ work. Anyhow, I couldn't have said it better myself. While my 1st instinct would be to destroy the dog, I would want to know the whole story. If it were my kids fault then I would blame myself and leave the dog be. Now if it were some POS pitbull that someone fights or a mongrel then it would be eating some lead.

Now in this guy's case it sounds as if this kid kept provoking the dog. All dogs have a threshold and will bite no matter WHAT! Like you said they are animals and will do what animals do... I think the kid was in the wrong and the blame should be placed on bad parenting.

DREWS400EX
07-08-2003, 02:58 PM
When I got the kid home his mother kept saying "I told you to stay away from that dog". Kids will be kids, they dont always understand the or think ahead about everything.

Im calling my insurance company tomorrow and see what they think I should do. I would think they would know best since they have probably went through situations like this many times.

I live in a small town(100-150 people) and its already all over town. People driving by real slow all day. Im going to try to keep my dog, just have to keep him caged up during the day or whenever kids come over.

Dune Surfer
07-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by honda350r

Its pretty easy for those of you without children to dis my statements, but when you do you might understand where I'm coming from. Animals that attack humans have no reason to exist. You are so worried about this guy and his dog you forget about the child that was injured because the dog owner could not contain his animal. The kid could be scared for life and your worried about the dog??
If you don't like my statements try being the kids parent when he came home after being attacked. THEN tell me I'm wrong for believing in protecting children and thinking their should be consequences for the owner of the poor doggie. For the record I have NEVER sued anyone, not even the school where my daughter broke her hip. So kaneman as far as what you think of me, I couldn't care less. What if it was you kid that was hurt...... Every time you get the chance you attack me. Pretty brave hiding behind your computer are you?

Dune Surfer
07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda 350r, thanks for getting my back. I guess your the only real man here.:D

RIDER11X
07-08-2003, 07:18 PM
I would get a lawyer ASAP!!!!! No doubt about it!!!:ermm:

kaneman23
07-09-2003, 01:20 AM
[i]So kaneman as far as what you think of me, I couldn't care less. What if it was you kid that was hurt...... Every time you get the chance you attack me. Pretty brave hiding behind your computer are you? [/B]

In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only one on the board that has noticed your bad attitude. I'm not hiding behind anything and if I lived in CA I wouldn't have any problems telling you what a POS you are to your face.

Dune Surfer
07-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by kaneman23
In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only one on the board that has noticed your bad attitude. I'm not hiding behind anything and if I lived in CA I wouldn't have any problems telling you what a POS you are to your face.

anytime, anyplace, I hope you have enough arse to back up your mouth.

Pappy
07-09-2003, 02:03 AM
ok ...im a parent and pet owner and based on what ive read ill say this....

if the child was being properly supervised by a parent or gaurdian and the dog malitiously attacked the child without provocation then yes....the animal should be put down.

if the child went into the dogs area unsupervised and the dog attacked over its food or from protection of its area then i dont think the dog should be put down.

many docile pets turn mean around food...its plain and simple to understand. i have trained my dogs not to be. my kids can walk up and take food straight from my dogs mouth:p

id suggest monitoring the animal and building the enclosed area ASAP. and i wish you and the child the best of luck.

RAGE
07-09-2003, 02:04 AM
An un-nuetered dog is a time bomb waiting to go off.
They feel a need to dominate and no matter how much training you give them those little balls will make them aggressive as hell.

Even though I have no kids I can understand where dune surfer is coming from. Your kids end up being your entire life and to see anything happen to them would no doubt push me over the edge as well.

kaneman23
07-09-2003, 02:38 AM
anytime, anyplace, I hope you have enough arse to back up your mouth.

See what I mean toughguy? You've got a bad attitude!

Let me give you a free piece of advice; You shouldn't write checks that you can't cash! If you are seriously up for a trip to N.VA I would be happy to serve you up a can whoop *****.. It's a long ride/flight back home to CA when your all busted up though...:D

kaneman23
07-09-2003, 02:41 AM
I agree that the dog should be put down if it wasn't provoked. However, this kid has been known to tease and provoke the animal. None of us know all of the details, yet we're playing armchair quarterback. It just irks me when someone immediately claims they would kill the dog and sue the owner when not knowing what really happened...

bansheeguy77
07-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Its pretty easy for those of you without children to dis my statements, but when you do you might understand where I'm coming from. Animals that attack humans have no reason to exist. You are so worried about this guy and his dog you forget about the child that was injured because the dog owner could not contain his animal. The kid could be scared for life and your worried about the dog??
If you don't like my statements try being the kids parent when he came home after being attacked. THEN tell me I'm wrong for believing in protecting children and thinking their should be consequences for the owner of the poor doggie. For the record I have NEVER sued anyone, not even the school where my daughter broke her hip. So kaneman as far as what you think of me, I couldn't care less. What if it was you kid that was hurt...... Every time you get the chance you attack me. Pretty brave hiding behind your computer are you?

but wait was it your daughters fault for breaking her hip at school? or did the principal come up with a bat and start wackin on her? you forget that even tho a dog is not a human being it has a right to exist. my dog is part of my family and touched him i would kill them. but now from what it seems the kid was one that had no disipline and did not listen very well. one who thinks he knows everything and the world revolves around him. well ya go screw with a dog thats tied up and eating your making a mistake. if a dogs tied up its usually tied for a reason. but hey it tought the kid a lesson in life which is good cause it sounded like he needed one. now if the kid was calmy sitting on a chair watching the clouds and the dog tears his collar off and goes and attacks the kid well then yes introduce the dog to mr. .357. ya get where everyone is coming from?

UglyMotha™
07-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ok ...im a parent and pet owner and based on what ive read ill say this....

if the child was being properly supervised by a parent or gaurdian and the dog malitiously attacked the child without provocation then yes....the animal should be put down.

if the child went into the dogs area unsupervised and the dog attacked over its food or from protection of its area then i dont think the dog should be put down.

many docile pets turn mean around food...its plain and simple to understand. i have trained my dogs not to be. my kids can walk up and take food straight from my dogs mouth:p

id suggest monitoring the animal and building the enclosed area ASAP. and i wish you and the child the best of luck.

exactly :o

kaneman23
07-09-2003, 03:34 AM
Well said but we are wasting our breathe.. BTW Happy B-DAY!

Baley69
07-09-2003, 03:42 AM
The missing point here is the chance it could be bad parenting. I'm not saying in this case, just I hate all these people saying "put the dog down, damn dogs anywase." My dog is a third of my life, if some kid comes and disobeys the rules of my house, guess what lesson learned.

bansheeguy77
07-09-2003, 03:58 AM
thanks kaneman :cool:

stiffy
07-09-2003, 04:16 AM
I hope the kid is Okay. That would suck if it was my kid but I don't think the dog should be put down it was in it's own yard tied up. Here in Vegas a couple months ago two pitbulls where running around a neighborhood and got a hold of a little boy and tore him up bad he is okay now just a few scars but those pitbulls had to be put down. I have two Jack Russells and my niece was playing with my oldest one and she wanted to give her a kiss so she grabbed my dogs face and squeezed it and my dog bit at her. But what if a burglar broke in your house and fell down the stairs could he sue???

DREWS400EX
07-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
id suggest monitoring the animal and building the enclosed area ASAP. and i wish you and the child the best of luck. [/B]

I put up an enclosed area within an hour of the bite(those chain link kennels r expensive). The next day the dog was taken to the vet to stay for 10 days. If he isnt agressive then I will get him back after all his shots and getting fixed. If I get him back I really hope he calms down around strangers. I dont want to keep him locked up in a cage for the rest of his life.

As for the kid he didnt deserve what happened to him, but he was told by his mother and me several times to quit pestering the dog and to stay away from him.

If I get sued then I get sued, I feel like it was my fault for not keeping a close eye on the kid while he was around the dog, but Im not someone elses babysitter when I have two little girls running circles around me every second Im home.

I dont know what I would do if the same thing happened to one of my kids, but I wouldnt sue anyone. I work 6 days a week for my money and if I need more I just sell chit on ebay. Seems like alot of people are looking for an easy way to drain someone elses wallet for their own convenience. The kid should get the money if they sued me, but the next day his parents would have a new car and he will still be running around town like nothing changed.

250exer
07-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Drews400EX

The money goes to the person that is bit. If it's a minor, it goes into a trust until the child is of age.

All the parent can do is provide input to the supervising judge on how the money gets paid out. We structured my boys payout for 1/8th at ages 19, 20,21,22 and 50% at age 25.

At least this is how it worked in MN 13 years ago.

Again - If I had it to do again I wouldn't, but I did and I can't change it now.

Sorry for your bad luck.

yellowex01
07-09-2003, 10:19 AM
The first thing I taught my Rottie, Is nothing is hers. It doesnt matter if its food or a pillow. Nothing belongs to her. Anyone can take anything away from her. Now dont get me wrong she is one protective sob over my family and house, but she knows that the food bowl isnt something to protect. Her food to her is a pleasure not a necessity (sp). For the record if someone broke in god help them, but if someone is over my house whether it be a kid or adult and she bit them for what ever reason, I would kill her myself. There is a difference in a dog protecting its family and home (food or bones arent one of them). And kids just dont know any better, I dont care how many times you tell them, for some reason they like to play in the food and water bowls. And I do have kids (3) if one of them got bit by a neighbors dog, I would have to put it down myself.. But sueing isnt an option. As long as they covered any medical bills.

Good luck to ya..

Todd
07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
My daughter loves animals , our dog is one someone dropped at the house . One day another stray came up with collar but no i.d , she put him on a leash and walked him around the neighborhood looking for his owner after being told to leave him alone . When she got back to the house i told her to turn him loose but nooooo , she had to push it and thought it would be great if our dog and the stray were freinds and we could keep them both. Turned out the stray wasnt to friendly around other dogs . After she got stitched up i asked if she learned her lesson and would listen to me next time i got a lowered head yeah.
The dogs owner was out of town and someone else was supposed to be looking after the dog , the dog got loose by accident and the rest is history , chalk one up for painful education! Thats my little story but with the dog chained and the child warned by their parents and you i wouldnt think they would sue you unless they are just sorry! I wish you the best of luck.
todd
p.s. the dogs name is max and he alive and well back with his owner.