PDA

View Full Version : idle probs & jetting help

zlam27
07-06-2003, 05:43 PM
aight, first of all my 01' will not idle. if i dont adjust the throttle cable to where its giving it just a little gas, it wont idle. i have a 42 pilot, but its not in yet- i figured it was too big for a stock setup. all i have right now is a K&N. i assume i need to mess with the air screw, but does anyone have some guidelines?

next question. im putting a T-4 on my 400 real soon. im at about 750ft above sea-level. im just putting on the slip-on, but i think ill take off the airbox lid and just put an outerwear on my K&N. what jets should i be running? what is stock? i have a banshee and i can jet that- but i just dont know jet sizes and jumps for the EX.

zach

JOEX
07-06-2003, 05:56 PM
First, check the plug,...i'm sure yu knew that....
Second, adjust the idle screw, the big screw on the left side of the carb. I'm sure you knew that too...;)
42 does sound a bit big for a stock set up.
Try a 40 pilot 38 is stock.
152/155 main
And maybe raise the needle one notch....

The mains run 148 (stock), 150, 152, 155, 158, 160. After that I don't know.

Joe

Baley69
07-06-2003, 06:49 PM
How do you raise the needle?

JOEX
07-07-2003, 04:47 AM
You get to it throug the top of the carb. I don't remember exactly what needs to done, it's all in the repair manual.

Joe

cals400ex
07-07-2003, 09:27 PM
for the needle, take the top of the carb off (3 skrews). look inside and you will see this lever or arm that has a bolt holding it on. take the skrew out. use a phillips skrewdriver and remove the two skrews you see about two inches down or so (this is kind of a pain). now, pull the arm or lever up and out of the way. the arm won't come all the way off but you can pull it up. now pull the circular piece out of the carb. you can see this circular piece holds the needle right in the center of it. the needle will come right out of there. on the needle you will notice a c-clip with five notches on the needle. the clip will be in the 3rd (center notch) from the factory. go ahead and move the clip in the 4th notch (one down from factory). now just reinstall as you took it apart. however, when you go and put the skrew back in the arm/lever, you will have to take the black plastic piece off the carb. this is on the right side of the carb and has two skrews holding it on. what you will need to do when you get this piece off is: push the metal piece that holds the arm/lever on back towards the left side of the carb in order to get the skrew to go back in that holds the arm/lever in place. everything else is the same as you took it apart. good luck

hondarider2006
07-08-2003, 10:40 AM
this should help you out a lot. step by step....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832