PDA

View Full Version : Paintable Parts

doctor_915
01-14-2002, 07:56 PM
Sometime in the near future I plan on painting some parts white just to make them look better. I planned on painting the gearshifter, wheel hubs, air box and air box lid, rear brake pedal and maybe some other little parts. What kind of paint should I use to paint these? Will the paint stick well? I planned on using RustOleum and using 2 or 3 coats on each part. Anyone who has done this befor help me please, and anyone with suggestions on other parts to paint or how to do this please reply. Any help is appreciate, thank you.-Jared

"BLAHH"300!!
01-14-2002, 10:17 PM
....here's how i do it.....rustolium white paint
.1..paint it...i flood what ever it is i'm painting...gett it all drippin off
so it fills the crackes real good....(.(cracks) where metal meets metal) not broken cracks....
..2..let it dry all night....i paint it early in the day and let it sit all night....
..3..paint it again...i try and get up around a decent hour and paint it again.....once again.i flood it...fill em' up...
..4..that after noon when i know it's dry..i'll take my thumb and in one place press down and twist...do it in a place you wont be able to see becouse if it's not all the way dry..that place isnt going to be leavel with the rest.....
..5..if it is dry..i put it back on the bike...
..6..just make sure you get any kind of oil or dirt off what your going to paint or it will chip and look like........
here's what i have painted so far....all white rustolium
.....REAR SPROKETT.....REAR HUBS....FRONT BRAKE MUDSCREEN...(that thin piece of metal behind your front rim)..looks good with the red hub behind it...whats drying right now is.....MY FOOTPEGGS and that little bar that connects your NERF BARS together in the front..where the u-bolts are....it was rusty looking and im sure your's and everyone elses is too....there and where they (D.G.) goes behind your foot pegs and bolts to your frame..
....it's all holding up good....and keeping it's nice (WHITE) look..no chips or scratches (so far)...i like the sprockett the most.well that and those front brake mud screens.....i'm getting some sheet metal work done for it also.....full skid plate..not rear.too weak..bend ..hit the chain..it's over.....and on my stocker bars...behind the headlight..i'm getting a piece tht will have a slight bend to it and bolt up where the old stock bar plastic went...and i'm putting a hole in it for the gas breather hose....air box is next.....
if you do paint it..take your time.and make it look good..don't paint every piece that will come off either....it wont be bullet proof but it will hold up for a while...i don't mud ride or ride in water so i can't judge there

crday98
01-14-2002, 11:06 PM
i wouldn't really "flood"it.you will get a longer lasting and nicer/more shiney finish if you are patient and apply the paint in thin layers.i'm not saying to just give it one swipe at a time just do not to spray until it is dripping.you could press your thumb and it will seem dry but you would be suprised.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-14-2002, 11:12 PM
i shoulda pointed out a little clearer...that i flod the cracks..
my bad....i flood the places where metal meets metal..so it wont look too bad when it's all said and done....you know.. start with a piece of black metal paint it white and have black corner's....dudin't leew' goo.'.

01-14-2002, 11:36 PM
I used to paint cars for a living and i'm not to sure about painting parts off of a 4 wheeler but as for cars and every part on them we always used a scuff pad and scuffed up the surface before we painted them. This allows for the paint to stick without it flaking off down the road. As i said i don't know about painting 4 wheeler parts but if it were me i would scuff up every part that u were painting with a scratch pad and then paint em. just my 2 cents though

RideRed400EX
01-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Always scuff/sand first - then paint.

doctor_915
01-15-2002, 05:10 PM
thnx 4 the help. I planned on scuffing them up first but just now I thought that primer might help it too. it might, might not. The shifter will prolly get scrathed easy though as for the brake pedal. Thanks for all the help on this subject.

01-15-2002, 11:34 PM
another thing that i just thought of is that if your going to paint parts that have never been painted before ( just bare steel) is that we always used etching primer after we scuffed em let that dry and then paint them. but this was all for car parts though but it makes it stick better. sorry i forgot to mention that earlier.

Juggalo
01-16-2002, 03:52 PM
heres my friends ex he has painted:
1. silencer
2. left case
3. front brake fluid cover thing
4. rear caliper
5. tie rods
6. that cooler thing that goes to the battery
7. his tool case (chrome spray paint)
8. heat sheild (chrome paint)
9. front bumper (chrome paint, didn't last very long)

he might have more but i don't remember..looks pretty sharp tho.

Juggalo
01-16-2002, 03:54 PM
ok now that i look at the pic (lol) i see that he has repainted his heat shield red, and he has his oil filter cover red as well.

heres another angle:

Juggalo
01-16-2002, 03:56 PM
last pic:

that tool holder looks pretty good doesn't it?

"BLAHH"300!!
01-16-2002, 04:59 PM
:p ...I DON'T LIKE IT MAN....
i do like to tool box though....he shoulda found another color for the rest of those parts though

doctor_915
01-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Ya some of those parts are just a little too colorful. I did my toolbox in that chrome paint a few months ago, it held up good till I rolled it. I just have to keep spraying it over and over. Did he have any trouble keeping that heat shild paint on? Wouldnt it just over heat and chip?

doctor_915
01-16-2002, 06:25 PM
Ya some of those parts are just a little too colorful. I did my toolbox in that chrome paint a few months ago, it held up good till I rolled it. I just have to keep spraying it over and over. Did he have any trouble keeping that heat shild paint on? Wouldnt it just over heat and chip?

Juggalo
01-16-2002, 08:25 PM
yeah i didn't like the silencer myself (he doesn't have it anymore cuz he got an r-4 exhuast). the paint on the case has rubbed off quite a bit and the heat shield is ok cuz it is heat paint. we did try to paint the headers but it melted off in seconds.

Live2Ride300
02-02-2002, 04:48 PM
My first quad was an 87 Suzuki Quadsport 230 (LT230S). I learned alot on that quad, i learned how to ride, and i especially learned how to wrench on quads, becuase there was always something to fix on that quad. Well anyways onto the subject of painting parts. I stripped that Quadsport down to the frame, so i could paint it, i painted the frame, front brake disc guards, a-arms,
tie-rods, spindles, motor mounts, foot pegs, swingarm, axle, sprocket drive hub, maybe more things, i forget, but after i was done with it, it looked brand new, especially with new plastic and everything. The best way to paint parts is to first get some degreasor, and degrease the part if it needs to be, so it is nice and clean and theres no oil or grease or dirt on it. Then you want to sand it down, you dont need to get all the paint off, but u wanna sand the whole thing so the paint will stick to it. After your done sanding, then you can start painting, but if you want the paint to stay, then first you give the part a good 2-3 coats of primer, let that dry for the time it says on the can, then put a good 3-4 coats of the color paint you want, let it dry and there ya go! I'll post some pics of my old qs up here, thanks

charlie

Live2Ride300
02-02-2002, 05:18 PM
Heres some pics of my old 1987 Suzuki Quadsport 230:

Live2Ride300
02-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Heres some more

Live2Ride300
02-02-2002, 05:26 PM
pic of quad all together:

Live2Ride300
02-02-2002, 05:27 PM
I'll get the pic of the QS up here as soon as possible

"BLAHH"300!!
02-03-2002, 05:29 AM
_LIVE2RIDE300...
........try and get that pic of your lt230 put together and painted on here....i've heard of this bike but never seen it....someone was telling me it wsa fast and this and that and the only thing i could think of was a...lt230..that had racks' and stuff..was a utility bike my uncle had for huntin....very slow...show me what this bike looks like...

_CHRISWATER'S......
........nice bike man....i like your 88'r also....you take good care of your stuff i can tell.....i wish those pics had better sunlight to em' so we could see the differant color's on the frame....a guy around here got his mustang painted in that "flip flop" paint....(thats what your talking about right..?..) well it was like $700.00 a quart or something like that....little too much for me to be painting a quad with but it would look nice...

400exRacerX
02-03-2002, 09:13 AM
What color powdercoat is that? I did mine yellow, its not expensive to powdercoat your frame its the time and effort that is put into doing it.

CBW
02-03-2002, 09:38 AM
The color is mirror black with prism powder added. the frame looks black until bright light hits it, and then the prism powder changes color as the viewing angle changes. Red, to purple to green to blue etc.....................

My wifes 86R has the prism powder in a translucent red powder over almost chrome powder..............looks really cool in direct sunlight.

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 01:08 PM
chris waters-
That looks really cool, Id like to do something like that to my EX sometime in the near future, thanx for the info

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 01:12 PM
EX-CITING 300-

I'll have that pic up soon I have to get it off my other computer, it should be up here tonight,

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Heres the old beast.....

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Heres another pic...

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 06:00 PM
pics without plastic...

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 06:02 PM
pic of swingarm ......

Live2Ride300
02-03-2002, 06:05 PM
My neighbor welded that swingarm a few times, lol, I cracked it about 5 times. With the combination of a bad rear shock and weak swingarm , doing a big jump with no landing isnt the best idea, lol, but when i did this rebuild, i put brand new shocks front and rear,

02-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Some painting advise or just my .02

If you have the cash pay for the powder coat on most parts and try to only paint the accent items that you can get to easy for when you need to do it again.

if your painting plastic use a clear adheasion promoter it will stop most peeling problems and is available in spray cans at many places.

If you paint plastic that bends or moves it would be a great idea to use a flex additive but then you need to use a spray gun as it must be mixed with the paint. This should be done by professionals as they will have the right spray and safety equip.

If you are forced to use spray cans you can still get a great finish and even one thats lasts but you still need to prepare properly. Sand rather than scuff, use wax and grease remover, use a tack rag before paint or prime, USE LIGHT EVEN COATS (heavy ones cause many problems) and you can even clear over parts that see abrasion.

The kameleon type colors 200- 300.00 qt.

have any questions pm me.

02-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
My neighbor welded that swingarm a few times, lol, I cracked it about 5 times. With the combination of a bad rear shock and weak swingarm , doing a big jump with no landing isnt the best idea, lol, but when i did this rebuild, i put brand new shocks front and rear,

jesus charlie, remember the good old days of turning wrenches on that thing??? endless hours of new parts, old parts, this wont fit, swearing like crazy when everything went wrong and slapping hi fives when we got it back together after the 685452 million time of having it apart. those were the days, a lot of memories went with that thing when you sold it.

Live2Ride300
02-04-2002, 06:34 PM
ya man, that thing was priceless i learned everything on that thing, how to ride wrench, ride, wrench, wrench , wrench, wrench ride, wrench some more, ride , wrench...................