PDA

View Full Version : switching gears in air

blasterkid
07-06-2003, 02:46 PM
hey when i was watching some of these guys on dirt bikes i saw that they would switch gears in the air i also saw doug gust do it a couple times what does this do

YamaWarr0121
07-06-2003, 03:11 PM
well say there is a smaller double right out of a berm, then followed by a bigger jump

at the track i race at there is a small 15 foot double then 20 foot of leadway then a huge 60 ft table which i love to clear, the only way i can do this is to hit the first lil double sitting down, shift from 2nd to 3rd in the air land with the gas on and go

if i didnt shift in the air i would lose so much momentem by coming off or powershifting even up to the jump, plus it looks cool and is really fun once u get good at it!;)

400grl
07-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I love shifting in the air - it's easy and smooth and when you land you can get on it and haul *****!!!! It's easy - I did it on accident the first time, and then after that I couldn't stop!!! There are only a few places on my tracks where this makes sense - but it's niiiiiiiice when the timing is right!! ;)

Martin Blair
07-06-2003, 04:48 PM
i was thinking about this today and thought it might torque the bike to the right when you pull up, does this affect the attitude of the fram at all?

R-Crazy
07-06-2003, 05:04 PM
as long as u dont really JAM the shifter up, u are okay. but it doesn give you a boost, just make sure to give it gas when you land, or you will get jerked foward.

1000th post!!!!!!!!

dave

07-06-2003, 05:20 PM
when ever i try shifting or hiting my rear brake my feet are always too far out any tips besides keep them in?

YamaWarr0121
07-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
when ever i try shifting or hiting my rear brake my feet are always too far out any tips besides keep them in?

ride with your heels actually on the peg directly behind the brake/shifter pedals..and just keep your toes pointed outwards from the quad, and just move the front portion of your foot in to hit the pedal in the air, instead of moving your whole foot at once..

just always keep your heels locked tightly on the pegs and ur ok, its easy once you get the hang of it...

if you want practice, try to pull the clutch in first off off jumps, and let it out, then throw your nose up real high, and just tap the rear brakes and you learn easy how it works..

works best while going up hills...

trx400ex
07-07-2003, 05:34 AM
no ones said anything about down shifting so ill throw that in, on a track i race at last weekend there is a big table top and the a tight 180 corner, i would hit the table in forth then pull in the clutch shifting down and hitting the rear brake at the same time, dont forget and let off the gas too much but what this does is help you slow down for a corner instead of landing then shifting down..if your gonna shift up make sure your in the midrange of your powerband atleast...also i never tap the rear brake when im just practicing or playing around, but during a race i use it alot just make sure the first time you mess with new stuff that you do it on a familiar jump and better is a tabletop