PDA

View Full Version : 22" tires ?

Rip_Tear
07-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Well I am debating when I have the money to get 22" tires (probaly maxxis Razrs) and I was wondering if it is worth it? The only reason I want to do it is for ground clearance. What are the disadvantages to this? (I would be changing sprokets to adjust for power).

So would it be worth it just for ground clearance? Thanks

ex kid
07-06-2003, 02:01 PM
i run itp holeshot xct's in 22''. awsome tires. good hookup in all conditions. i like the ground clearence with them ,im going to try 20'' razars soon tho.

JOEX
07-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Are you riding on terrain that you high center on with th 20"?
Another issue you might consider is weight.

Joe

250EXking
07-07-2003, 01:33 AM
im running 22inch razrs on the 250. great ground clearance. but they rob me of some power because of the smaller machine. yeah if you got em for your 400 i bet they would be great.

07-07-2003, 04:55 AM
22's are great but you most definitly will need to put a 14 tooth up front...:cool:

400exbiggun
07-07-2003, 10:46 AM
i am running 22' maxxis all traks, and the ground clearence is awsome compared to stock, but i have stock gearing on now, and would going down to a 14 tooth loose me some topend????

wilkin250r
07-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Taller tires weigh more. It's more significant that a simple "power/weight" ratio because it is rotational inertia, so even with the same gearing, you will lose some acceleration.

Likewise, taller tires tend to "roll" more in the corners.

That's not to say it's a bad idea. I run 22's for clearance also. My girlfriend has already eaten 2 swingarm skidplates with 20 inch tires, and I'm still running the stock skidplate on one of my quads with 22's. I'm just bringing up some of the effects of taller tires that most people don't think about.

Rip_Tear
07-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Taller tires weigh more. It's more significant that a simple "power/weight" ratio because it is rotational inertia, so even with the same gearing, you will lose some acceleration.

Likewise, taller tires tend to "roll" more in the corners.

That's not to say it's a bad idea. I run 22's for clearance also. My girlfriend has already eaten 2 swingarm skidplates with 20 inch tires, and I'm still running the stock skidplate on one of my quads with 22's. I'm just bringing up some of the effects of taller tires that most people don't think about.

Thanks I was wanting the bad effects too. What if I got bigger rims (That would be more weight...but...) would they still want to roll? I would probaly have to get bead locks because I know I would be blowing them with the bigger tires and such. My skid plate is biting the dust right now, I got a 1/4" peice of steel welded infron of the disc brake right now so it doesn't break! Its working well so far, I just weave though the rocks... when I can...

What about just going to 21's do you think it would still be worth it, or just go with the 22's for the full 1" ?
Thanks for all your comments! :D

wilkin250r
07-08-2003, 07:20 AM
If you need to weld a piece of steel in front of your skidplate to protect it, I'd definitly say the added gound clearance will far outweigh the negative effects of the larger tires.

It makes sense that larger rims won't roll as much in the corners, but I don't have a whole lot of experience. The only 10-inch rims I've ever ridden are on my paddle tires, so I don't have much problem with roll in the soft sand.

07-08-2003, 07:37 AM
22's also give a rougher ride I think. If there 6 ply's they beat the chit out of ya too....:(

But the ground clearance is sweeeeeeeet..:D

wilkin250r
07-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Rico
22's also give a rougher ride I think. If there 6 ply's they beat the chit out of ya too....:(

Bangin' rocks off yer skidplate ain't exactly what I'd call a smooth, plush ride :blah: :D

Rip_Tear
07-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Rico

So this is what I look forward to, becasue I want the 6 plys because I get thorns though my stockers so I need thicker ply, and I really want the ground clearance... Maybe I will just go with 21's.... though. I welded that steel there because it was already cracked when I got it... (used...) but I have hit it pretty hard a few times and now it is bent kinda sideways not touching the disc yet... While I will have to see, I need to save up for a skid plate and tires... Skids first though...

Thanks for all the help though guys, now I know what I am getting into ! :D

remlapr
07-08-2003, 01:35 PM
You choices in 21" are limited, razr, holeshots, etc. only come is 20 or 22, but another thing you have to take into account is that listed size and actual size isn't not always the same. example - holeshot xcr's are 20", so are holeshot xc's - but the xc's are about an inch taller then the xcr's.

trueblue450
07-09-2003, 07:04 AM
look how dumb 20" tires look I hated my 22" stockers.. but to each their own...