PDA

View Full Version : Triple Rates or Quad Rates?

Narly R
07-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Ok I WANT Quad Rates, but I dont think i can run those shocks on stock arms?! So I was thinking Triple, but I want Long Travel a-arms, but I cant afford Long travel a-arms and shocks right now, so can I put LT shocks on stock arms? What would you guys go if you were me? Go with the triples or wait it out and get the LT setup? If I get Triple rates can I still use +3 arms without bottoming?....................... man i just dont know what to do I really need some advice here!:( I can get LT shocks for cheap! I dont know if I can get a-arms or not. I will get them threw my sponser, i MIGHT be able to talk my parents into LT arms and shocks but i dunno if that will happen!:ermm:

Anyone............:(

Black400
07-06-2003, 01:20 PM
the quadrates wont fit caus ethey are 3 inches longer.

JOEX
07-06-2003, 02:26 PM
If you think you can get the arms soon go ahead and get shocks if the offer is for a limited time. I have a set of +1 a-arms sitting on my livingroom floor for over a month waiting for shocks:rolleyes:
I really hate passing up good deals.....

Joe

AndrewRRR
07-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Wait, save up and get LT arms and shocks. You'll be glad you did. Anything else is a serious compromise (LT shocks with std. arms, or vice versa)

416exmx
07-07-2003, 01:57 AM
the number of springs have nothing to do with being long travel. long travel shocks (19inch) come in dual, tripple and quad rate. standard travel shocks (16inch) come in a progressive, dual and tripple rate. Elka is the only LT shock i know of that comes in a quad rate. The LT shocks would bolt up to your stock a-arms i guess but would put your frontend way to high and they would be stiffer than a mofo it they were valved for +3 a-arms. you can get tripple rate standard shocks now, get them valved heavy, then later get standard +3 a-arms. or get LT shocks and save up for the LT a-arms. If i were you i would wait and get a-arms, front and rear shocks at the same time. this way you could run a zps or ssd system and it would be a sweet setup. i run LT houser and elkas all around. hope this helped you some.

Ty's400
07-07-2003, 07:01 AM
416exmx Do you have any pictures of your quad, so I can see the setup? Thanks Sounds sweet!

wilkin250r
07-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Long travel arms and shocks kinda go hand-in-hand. LT shocks are 3 inches longer, so they don't really fit on standard arms, which are made for 16 inch shocks. LT arms have the bottom shock mount in a different location, so they really don't work with standard shocks. You pretty much have to buy a full LT setup as a package deal, both shocks and arms, you can't really do one or the other... :ermm:

Narly R
07-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Ya i kinda figured that!:rolleyes: But today I decided to order Elka LT shocks and +3 arms!:D But sorry I have one more question, would I bet better of getting +3 or +3/+1 arms? I ride everywhere, but I would make the setup for mx.

Hey 416exmx, pics of your bike would be awsome!;)

wilkin250r
07-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Narly, this is for a 250r correct? What year? What length swingarm are you running?

From what I gather (but I'm not an expert) you would want +3 on an 88/89 chassis, with standard length 88/89 swingarm. Or, if you have the 86 chassis, go with a -1 swingarm and +3/+1 a-arms.

The chassis difference, in a nutshell, in 88 and 89, the a-arms were moved up 1 inch, and the swingarm was shortened by 1 inch. So basically, using an 86 chassis and going +1 foward a-arms and -1 swingarm, you it basically becomes the same as as the 89.

Narly R
07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Well I have a 86 r and I did get the +3/+1 arms, and i have a stock swingarm. With Elka LT elites!:D O baby I CANT wait!:D

416exmx
07-07-2003, 02:07 PM
here is a pic of my front end. i am in the process of buying a axis/roll/laegers/pep 440ex. i am ready to test out the famous lobo2 that everyone thinks is da bomb.

not a very good pic but its all i had and i cant find the dig cam.

416exmx
07-07-2003, 02:12 PM
oh yeah, these are +3+0 houser on the 400ex. my buddy has the same setup only +3+1 on a 88 250r with stock length swingarm. he loves the setup. they say +3+1 for an r and +3+0 for 400ex. Narly R - what a-arms did you go with?

Narly R
07-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Um i went with Lonestar! I HAVENT ordered them yet cause I need a pipe and stuff and Im gettin a rear shock too, but it will be around $3,000 for everything! Which is a hech of a deal, but my parents are payen for it kinda and they arnt too happy, but Ill bribe them!:D One way or another, Ill figure it out!:ermm: :rolleyes: