PDA

View Full Version : 400ex/Z400 vs. 125cc 2 stoke

micah
07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Could anyone tell me how power and acceleration these two compare? I am getting ready to buy a 125 in a couple months and would like to know how much faster its acceleration will be and where the top speed is.

I see some guys at the tracks on 125's going super slow in acceleration and top speed, but i figure it is just a slow rider because some of the little 80's fly compared to them.

.:01_eXrIdEr:.
07-05-2003, 08:41 AM
before i got my 400ex i had a yz125 and there is a huge difference. the 125 revs quicker and flys all over the place, it is so light and fast its crazy. the guys at the track that putt around on their 125's are probably just poons that dont' wanna get crazy and let it open. 125s are really fast bikes and they are a lot of fun.

07-05-2003, 08:45 AM
never underestimate the power of a 125. my friend has a decked out rm125 that will take shees. it does have lots of aftermarket goodies though. 125's will out accelerate a 400ex/z400 and will also outrun them in a drag. not bashin 400ex's at all but it is more likely to compare with an 85cc 2 stroke, whick haul balls for little bikes. 125's are quick and pull hard in mid to top. im almost positive they will take a 400cc 4 stroke. hope i was a little help....king

fasterz
07-05-2003, 08:48 AM
well u might not belive but w/e here it goes, i have a z400 wit no air lid, k and n, and hmf pipe, and i had 20's on it at the time, well i raced my buddies rm 125 wit procircuit pipe. it was prolly 500ft or so, im not to sure. well i beat him in acceleration, at the finish line i was like 7 ft in front of him. he said he wasnt toped out yet though, and i was. so thats my experience wit 125cc dirtbikes

kxrider
07-05-2003, 11:20 AM
my kx will put it on a 400, and raptor, i never raced a z yet

FourFiftyFour
07-05-2003, 11:25 AM
a 99 kx125 and my dale were very close to each other in a race... almost dead even in the holeshot......

micah
07-05-2003, 12:28 PM
cdalechick- from what I understand, the Kx's are by far the slowest dirtbike of the major producers.

Atvking- I would think that a stock 125 rm would take shees. Shees dont accelerate all that great and get everything on the top...I think the bike would smoke it in the acceleration and then add some more on the way up to top speed do to the light weight.

FourFiftyFour
07-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by micah
cdalechick- from what I understand, the Kx's are by far the slowest dirtbike of the major producers.

Atvking- I would think that a stock 125 rm would take shees. Shees dont accelerate all that great and get everything on the top...I think the bike would smoke it in the acceleration and then add some more on the way up to top speed do to the light weight.

are you sayin this from this year??? this is a 1999 kx125 and several ppl have said that this kx is a fast bike........ and not amateurs.... actual motor builders and people such as that...... so no i dont think that this bike is categorized as the slowest.......... anyways I have even videos of the dale and kx goin head to head for a holeshot........... so im not lying........

K2Snow
07-05-2003, 12:53 PM
How would a raptor compare to one of those? Also, how would a raptor compare to a banshee? i don't think a 125 dirtbike could outrun a banshee witht he right riders, a banshee is a 350 2 stroke, more than double the bike... it may be a little heavier but it compensates in power

micah
07-05-2003, 12:56 PM
cdalechick- Im not for sure on personall experience, but from all of the forums and magazines I have read trying to get info on what bike is best for me....everyone seems to agree that the Kx's before 03' or 04' areare missing in a lot of departments and one i believe is power.

FourFiftyFour
07-05-2003, 01:09 PM
cdalechick- Im not for sure on personall experience, but from all of the forums and magazines I have read trying to get info on what bike is best for me....everyone seems to agree that the Kx's before 03' or 04' areare missing in a lot of departments and one i believe is power.

HMMMMmmmmmmm from wut i hear about racin magazines.......... everything is TOTALLY TRUE.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: meaning that the Z400 is the best quad b/c its more comfortable..... so I guess everything in dirtwheels is true??? so i guess everything in a MX magazine is gonna be right?? and forums..... everyones had personal experience with every quad and dirtbike and has an expert opinion and say so????? :confused: :confused:

micah
07-05-2003, 02:00 PM
your right....the opposite of what every mag says is true.

Mags can be biased,..but they dont lie about everything.

07-05-2003, 02:57 PM
a 125 should have no trouble smoking a quad if you know how to ride 125 power, if u suck *** then the quad will give you a run the weigh difference compared to hp is what you have to look at a worked z 400 has what low to mid 40s? and a STOCK 125 has around 30 , the z weighs what? 370-380 wet ? and a cr 125 weighs around 200 pounds thats almost twice the weight and only a 10 hp difference

kxrider
07-05-2003, 08:26 PM

ooo dude u got it all wrong, my kx is fast, and actually honda is the slowest bike on the market, magazines call them' gutless pigs', ktm is fastes, the yamaha, then suzuki, then kawaski

and as for a stock rm takin a banshee, screw that when my bike was on race gas with performace head i barly beat mildly modded shees, no way as stock rm can do it, i am totaly with cdale chick on this a cr has always been slow they just ahve the best suspensoin, and carmicheal always road kx back in the day u think he is goin to ride hte suckiest bike???????

Flip)(stick
07-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kxrider
ooo dude u got it all wrong, my kx is fast, and actually honda is the slowest bike on the market, magazines call them' gutless pigs', ktm is fastes, the yamaha, then suzuki, then kawaski

and as for a stock rm takin a banshee, screw that when my bike was on race gas with performace head i barly beat mildly modded shees, no way as stock rm can do it, i am totaly with cdale chick on this a cr has always been slow they just ahve the best suspensoin, and carmicheal always road kx back in the day u think he is goin to ride hte suckiest bike???????

heh wow where have u been, carmicheal as been riding the cr for the past 2 years i belive. and he always wins on it. Most you guys dont understand all the 125's r about the same theres no drastic differance, its always the rider. o and jeremy mgrath rode the ktm and he sucked *** on it. So whats this tell you?

kxrider
07-06-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Flip)(stick
heh wow where have u been, carmicheal as been riding the cr for the past 2 years i belive. and he always wins on it. Most you guys dont understand all the 125's r about the same theres no drastic differance, its always the rider. o and jeremy mgrath rode the ktm and he sucked *** on it. So whats this tell you?

man jermey mcgrath sucked *** anyways he won for like 7 years straight and then just dissappears then tryed to make a come back i would have retired a long time before he did........and wat im sayin is that carmicheal was on a 99, 00 01 kx and he seem to do pretty good if you as me, and if you think ther is no dif between stock bikes, like up a stock ktm, stock cr, and race them then swith drivers, ktm will win both times, unless one suckes really bad

Flip)(stick
07-06-2003, 05:42 AM
Ricky is doing beter on the CR right now than he did on the KX's , are you even following the races

07-06-2003, 05:55 AM
do you remeber how carmicheal bad mouthed kawi when he left?he said his honda is head and shoulder above kawi, thats why hes been winning too, of course rc isnt gonna ride the suckiest bike thats why he switrched from kawi, as for banshees you should have no trouble walking away from one IF you know how to ride, however some worked banshee pushc around 50-60 hp and will run even or have a lil edge on a 125

honda does have the slowest 125 but they havent been concentrating on the 125 with there new crf 250 coming out, who wants to ride a 125 when they can ride a 250f;)

dabombdale
07-06-2003, 05:58 AM
then again, look at bubba, he is doing well on his kx, same with lusk

07-06-2003, 06:00 AM
yeahup, there all pretty close to the average rider but when you at rcs level i guess you can tell, lusk is riding for them only because thats the only factory ride he can get, he had his best years with honda if u remember, look at windham he rode for kawi years back rides for honda, mcgrath had his best years with honda, id bet in a few years when bubba is running the 250s honda will lure him over, you gotta rember alot of these guys came up through the team green program straight into a factory deal with kawi, they havent really been on the market

micah
07-06-2003, 08:01 AM
comparing the bikes that the pro's run makes no sense at all. Thats like saying that Pontiacs are great cars because some pro drivers win with a drivetrain with a fiberglass pontiac shell on it.

The bikes that the pros ride probably are so different from the stock ones at the local dealer has that it doesnt matter what the pros ride.

Flip)(stick
07-06-2003, 09:55 AM
comparing the bikes that the pro's run makes no sense at all. Thats like saying that Pontiacs are great cars because some pro drivers win with a drivetrain with a fiberglass pontiac shell on it.

The bikes that the pros ride probably are so different from the stock ones at the local dealer has that it doesnt matter what the pros ride.

What I and the other guys here are trying to say is that its not really the bike, its the skill level of the rider.

kxrider
07-06-2003, 10:50 AM
just becuase honda has a new 250f is no reson to let the cr suck, look at kawi, and suzuki both just came out with new 250f, and kawi was voted most improved for 04, and honda wsas lest changed, as for walkin away from a shee, i know from experience that they are fast i raced a midly modded on on wet dirt, not mud, and we both got good hook up and i barly took him, and dont even try to say it was my bike cuase i will roost a stock 125 espcially a rm, i have before, my dads friend and dont say he cant drive cuase he used to drag race bikes pro.........

YamaWarr0121
07-06-2003, 11:14 AM
i agree with cdale chick where as my dale stock against a 2003 and 2002 yz125 with sst pipe/silencers filters, and reeds is dead even until top speed comes to play, the 2003 with the reeds will pull ahead slightly in the higher portions of the gears, but its dead even

micah
07-06-2003, 11:18 AM
so you are saying you think that your stock canninbal will accelerate as fast as a piped yz 125?

kxrider
07-06-2003, 01:15 PM
so you are saying you think that your stock canninbal will accelerate as fast as a piped yz 125?

no way it is the rider, cuase the hp to weight ratio

07-06-2003, 03:10 PM
honda said themselves

everyone knows in a few years 2 strokes will be obsolete, honda being as smart as they are knows where the market is shifting and they have been focusing on there new 250f

honda does more testing and r and d than the other manufactuers especially kawi and suzuki whos bikes dont stand up like a honda

kxrider
07-07-2003, 05:42 AM
hey freeride 2 strokes will be banned except for race use, that means they will quit makin bikes themselves, but parts will be availble for ever, and all you have to do is enter 1 or 2 races a year and your fine, but weed eaters, and stuff will be gone...... so in 2 years 2 strokes will not just dissappear of the face of the earth, it will be a really really reallly really long time before they are gone, ,proly never be gone in the pro racing circuit, and this is still no reason to let the cr slip, they should make it bad***** for the last 2-4 years

swap
07-07-2003, 06:59 AM
why would you want to race a 125 against a bunch of 250 four strokes anyways?

kxrider-your modded out 125 now needs more mods to even run with a 250f.

a modded out bike means absolutely nothing. stewart and carmichael would win if they had stock pipes on. To many people think you gain so much if you buy a pipe. ride some more instead, and learn how to go faster instead of trying to buy faster.

kxrider
07-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by swap
why would you want to race a 125 against a bunch of 250 four strokes anyways?

kxrider-your modded out 125 now needs more mods to even run with a 250f.

man my neighbor has a 02 250f with jets filter, and cut pipe, and i can spank him, and i dont even have my performace head on, i took it off cuaase i dont need it, and it cost to much to run race gas, and i dont think it is fair that they alow 250s to run in the 125 class, i dont care if it is equal power its a 125 class, if power dont matter, run them with all the other 250s

swap
07-07-2003, 08:11 AM
i race my 125 against 250 two strokes and 450 fourstrokes in the 16-24 class. you can pull 450's up hills if you carry your speed faster through the turns.

it is more the rider than the bike.

I have had a cr 250 and a kx 250, i am faster on a 125.

lillemux
03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
yeahup, there all pretty close to the average rider but when you at rcs level i guess you can tell, lusk is riding for them only because thats the only factory ride he can get, he had his best years with honda if u remember, look at windham he rode for kawi years back rides for honda, mcgrath had his best years with honda, id bet in a few years when bubba is running the 250s honda will lure him over, you gotta rember alot of these guys came up through the team green program straight into a factory deal with kawi, they havent really been on the market

All of you guys are amazing, your all bad mouthing all of these factory riders. they ride pro for a reason, THEY ARE BETTER THAN ALL OF YOU!!! And the guy who was bad mouting McGrath, what are you thinking? he He was on top every year he raced exept when emig beat him a few years back. He Retired because it was time to let carmicle to step up, and plus he screwed up his leg.