PDA

View Full Version : How many have done this to their oil tanks, very poor design???????

400exBro
01-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Well i was doing and oil change and and losing up the bolt to drain the oil and i heard a snap and all the oil started running out and i thought it was all good until i picked up the screw and found this.

400exBro
01-14-2002, 04:03 PM
what would be the best to do, i am e-mailing honda tonite and see what they do but if they don't do anything i will have to buy a new oil tank, what should i buy a over sized or the stock one????
what else should i check for
thanks a bunch
400exBro
I am so disappointed right now :mad: :grr :(

rydes400ex
01-14-2002, 04:09 PM
the exact same thing happened to mine.. I just welded it.

Tommy 17
01-14-2002, 04:09 PM
if u have a warranty they covered my friends... if not buy a pingry... for the extra 100$ if u can...

canadian400ex
01-14-2002, 05:40 PM
I did the exact same thing to mine this summer!:grr I thought I was going to burn the quad that day I was so mad!...I got my tank welded for the remainder of the summer but I will put one on order soon because with all the weld on it it doesn't fit in the fitting on the frame very well....They are $269 cdn. from honda!

01-14-2002, 05:44 PM
I had to take mine off and weld on it. Mine didn't break completely off but was leaking oil. I would never buy another stock tank.

01-14-2002, 05:54 PM
get a pingry oversize, its hevier, but it holds alot more oil, i want one after my carb

Dave400ex
01-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Get the Pingry Oil Tank. It does all the stuff Red440exRacer said and cools the Engine down 10-12 degrees.

crday98
01-14-2002, 11:18 PM
i am fortunate that it has not happend to me so far but i think all of those that had them berak should email honda and complain and suggest a recall on them.yes,it is highly unlikely but maybe you could get them to pay the cost of the new one.

3hondas
01-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Just curious... are you using a torque wrench to install the bolt?

one of the best investmnets you can make for servicing your bike is a torque wrench. I picked a Husky down at Home Cheapo for about 50 or something bucks right after i bought my quad. You will ALWAYS overtighten bolts if you do not use a torque wrench.

RideRed400EX
01-15-2002, 11:15 AM
I use a torque wrench quite a bit but I don't agree that you will always overtighten bolts. Always consider where the bolt is... Will the metal expand as the engine heats up? The fact is too many people think the tighter the better but these are also the people with broken oil filter cover bolts, cracked cases, stripped oil drain bolts... etc...etc... Use some common sense.

SLB400EX
01-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Yep, been there, done that too. I cracked the bottom of Rob's oil tank last summer. I'm waiting for mine to crack.
We tried to get Honda to pay for a new tank but they wouldn't have anything to do with that idea.
When he called Honda and griped...the guy told Rob he had NEVER heard of the tanks breaking like that.
HUH?!?!? Bullsh*t.
Maybe, just maybe, if more of you call Honda and explain about your tanks..they'll do something about it.
(I seriously doubt it though...)

01-15-2002, 07:50 PM
The stock Honda oil tank is $124.74 from www.Servicehonda.com I broke the drain from mine due to contact with a tree, but I am always careful when tightening it.

knighttime
01-16-2002, 07:25 AM
I'm sure this bolt breaks most of the time because of overtightening it. Get a torque wrench. You will be very surprised at how little effort it takes to properly torque the bolts to the correct specs. If you dont use a torque wrench you will overtighten.

indygncc
01-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Did it to mine last week, Absolute junk design. Wasnt even that tight.

knighttime
01-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by indygncc
Did it to mine last week, Absolute junk design. Wasnt even that tight.

How do u know how tight it was? Were u using a torque wrench?

400exBro
01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
i did use a torque wrench and even wnet 2 foot pounds under what was recommend by the honda service manual and it still happend
Well i bought a new one for 260 and honda will talk it over maybe i get the money back hopefully:D
thanks
400exBro

400exRacerX
01-16-2002, 03:16 PM
Thats why honda puts torque specs on everything, I use a torque wrench for everything ever since I snapped one of my oil filter cover bolts and had to pull the right side of the motor off to get the bolt out.

indygncc
01-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Some people tend to be smart asses when all a person is doing is clearly just stating a problem.( Knighttime )
Yeah I admit I had a dumbass attack and didnt use a torque wrench. I have changed my oil countless number of times in my life with out one. I dont think you should have to have a torque wrench to tighten your drain plug.

400exRacerX
01-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Some people tend to be smart asses when all a person is doing is clearly just stating a problem.( Knighttime )
Yeah I admit I had a dumbass attack and didnt use a torque wrench. I have changed my oil countless number of times in my life with out one. I dont think you should have to have a torque wrench to tighten your drain plug.

All those countless times of tightening that bolt without a torque wrench put stress on the oil tank and this time it actually gave and snapped, even though it wasn't even tight. And yes everyone should use a torque wrench for tightening critical parts.

400exdad
01-16-2002, 06:39 PM
There is no way I am going to drag out a torque wrench to tighten an oil drain plug! I'm too busy gassin' on it! (In the words of Goochy... Rockosmith) I use a 1/4" inch rachet set for most all of the bolts on my quad. Aluminum is too easy to strip with anything else. :macho

knighttime
01-16-2002, 09:01 PM
I dont think you should have to have a torque wrench to tighten your drain plug.

That's wonderful that u don't think a torque wrench is needed to tighten a drain plug. Honda's service manual though, states otherwise. The correct torque on that bolt is 2.0 kgf.m which takes barely any effort at all to get to. My point kinda is that a $25 torque wrench and a $50 manual is a wise investment. Sorry if i offended u, well not really, lol, but I can understand how frustrating it is when things like a freakin' stripped drain plug happen.:(

400EXPILOT
01-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Man does that Pic bring back Bad memories. The same thing happend to me last Summer on my 2nd oil change and yes I do use a Torque wrench. I called the dealer in about 1 sec and told him what had gone wrong. To make it short they put a new tank on for free because it was still covered by Honda. The dealer said this was the 2'nd one he seen that broke like that.

Chef
01-18-2002, 10:37 PM
If you do it again, get a pingry, it would have costed you 15 bucks more..:huh

400exBro
01-19-2002, 08:09 AM
hey HOTT440ex
Is the pingry oil tank the same design as the stocker at the frain bolt part, because if it is it will probably break as well as the stocker.
An how much more oil goes in the tank???
thanks

Chef
01-19-2002, 10:17 AM
its the same design, but it is better quality. and it has those little things that go through to get better cooling. I think another quart goes in.

400exBro
01-19-2002, 05:44 PM
thanks a lot
But i all ready got a stock oil tank for free from honda, first i paid the 260 cdn. then complained to honda canada and the gave us a refund so either way it was a good deal.