PDA

View Full Version : Gearing question----

Fuchs42
07-04-2003, 01:34 PM
gearing for 20inch real holshots,, i race MX and tommrow is a race and i want a little more low end power... i have stock gearing but they are sunstar sprockets what should i use.. I really want to gear up one in the rear will this be a signifigant notice? thanks for the help...

Texan32
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
1 in the rear won't show that much of a difference. It will help, but not alot

Fuchs42
07-04-2003, 01:51 PM
so what are your ideas? anything is appreciated

Texan32
07-04-2003, 02:20 PM
there was an article in a mag about sprockets. It said that though it is usually more expensive, it is getter for the engine and the chain if you change the rear sprocket.

the front sprocket is attached to the main output shaft and only has 15 teeth. Up or down one, that a dramatic change in gearing. Going down one (more low end) put alot more stress on the shaft. It also changes the pitch in which the chain sits between the teeth. This leads to premature wear.

The rear sprocket had 38 teeth. If you go up or down 1(or even 2), that is alot less dramatic change. It also doesn't put the added stress directly on the tranny.

Since you race MX mostly, have you thought about going to 18 rear tires? If so, you need to consider that as well. most who run 18 inch rears and stock gearing say that 1st gear is pretty much useless (too low).

Personally, here is my plan. I like to trail ride, mx and just play around. I have a set of factory tires and wheels. I am about to purchase a set of mx tires (18's on the rear) and new wheels. Along with the tires, i am gonna go down 1 tooth on the rear. That way, 1st gear is usable when i mx and when i have my factory tires on, i have a little more top end than the other guy

Hope this all makes sence....

....this is something i wrote in another post....if you cna get your hands on a 14 tooth front or a 40 tooth rear, those would do the trick, but refer back to what i wrote above....