PDA

View Full Version : 250X Tranny Problem

TRX300X
07-04-2003, 06:40 AM
Ok, first off no it's not the 2nd gear problem. What I have is I just got done doing a complete rebuild on my X which included the whole 80mm kit, cam, valves, piston all gaskets, clutch etc... you get the idea. Basically I tore the engine completely down and put it back together but with new stuff so now it will work. :D

Now today I was doing some jetting runs to get my carb dialed in and she ran, shifted, wheelied, everything just beautifully as it should all the time. Well I got back to the truck and put it in neutral and there was a ticking noise in the tranny, sounded like 2 gears were trying to mesh but they were just bouncing off eachother. Now it never did this before I ran it today. So I did a little investigating and when I put it in reverse it does the exact same thing, souinds like the 2 gears trying to mesh.

My question is what exactly could this be? could I have the ratchet pawls in the shift drum a little out of place and that could cause the drum to move a little or what?

Other then that it runs great, it shifts buttery smooth and the clutch does not slip at all. I appriciate any help you guys can give me.

4TraxRider
07-04-2003, 05:51 PM
The engagement dogs or something to that extent might be off a little.

TRX300X
07-06-2003, 01:43 AM
Do you think it's something that I should worry about and tear it down right away or do you think it will hold up a while? I was just thinking of not using neutral or reverse for the time being, I very rarely ever use reverse anyway. Either way the engine is going to come apart this winter like I usually do when I check over things.