PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket problems....

bandit390
07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Today I looked and noticed a little burnt oil around the head gasket area. It's not blown yet... at least I think its not. The last time it blew I noticed it by all the smoking and it got REALLY hot. So far everything seems normal, other than noticing a little burnt oil in that area.

Now, should I do anything?

Would it be worth the time to tighten the studs back up? Or just go ahead and replace the head gasket?

4TraxRider
07-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Wait until it gets a little worse, and keep a gasket around for if it does. Mine weeps a little and has been fine for a few months now.

tprender
07-04-2003, 12:42 AM
From what I have found out from talking to the different engine builders is that the gasket is not blown. But, the studs are coming out of the head. It is a poor design by Honda to put the studs in the cyclinder not the case and they are to small in diameter. If you get the larger studs this will take care of your blown gaskets.
People will tell you that this or that gasket is better, maybe. but, the studs are the cause of the problem. If you have a big bore it is best to do them anyway.

bandit390
07-04-2003, 02:53 AM
What larger studs are you talking about?

tprender
07-04-2003, 08:07 AM
The ones that I got were from TC Racing with 12mm bottoms instead of the regular 10mm. there are some other places to get them also. they cost about $100 for the set of 4. I tried heli-coils and could not them to hold.

chad502ex
07-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bandit390
Today I looked and noticed a little burnt oil around the head gasket area. It's not blown yet... at least I think its not. The last time it blew I noticed it by all the smoking and it got REALLY hot. So far everything seems normal, other than noticing a little burnt oil in that area.

Now, should I do anything?

Would it be worth the time to tighten the studs back up? Or just go ahead and replace the head gasket?

Id think about compression loss if it were my motor.

Chad502EX.com

Chris400extreme
07-06-2003, 10:24 AM
i am telling you the 12 mm doesnt salve the problem oin the big bores. cal for dirt only and get the 7/16 course thread studs put in. the are extremely trick looking and you wont have any problems from them. i have them in my 500 motor