PDA

View Full Version : to all you people who think

650ex
01-14-2002, 01:51 PM
ok, the only reason any bike would break is because of the rider abusing it, ive got a 99 400ex and love it to death and i also have a raptor and love it to death to, ive had no problems at all with both bikes, i treat them so that they last me for a while, ive had the raptor for about 6 months now and nothing has happened and ive had the 400 for what 3 years and nothing has happened to it, so how do the bike break, because the rider pushes it. my opinion but still all high performance quads are good if u treat them good.

Scott
01-14-2002, 02:18 PM
So how would you explain my swingarm cracking while I was riding with my wife this weekend? Each on our own quad, 2nd and 3rd gear trail riding, no impacts or collisions. The quad has never been raced MX or hare scrambes. I don't jump. So how did I abuse it or push it too hard?

400MXer
01-14-2002, 02:32 PM
What fun is it if you don't push the machines. I always push mine,....down the driveway, around my barn. I push it everywhere. Good workout.:blah

Scott
01-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Good for the environment too. No emissions. Quiet, unless you grunt and groan. Never runs out of gas (you might, but the quad doesn't).:square

BANSHEEadam
01-14-2002, 02:34 PM
You must've gotten a bad apple:D

650ex has a very good point- a pretty hard one to disagree with. Sure there are some instances where you get these bad apples but for the most part, the intervals between buying a new quad, or any vehicle, depend on how you treat it.

Guy400
01-14-2002, 03:13 PM
He's right, to a point. While not abusing your bike will prolong it's lifespan it won't guarantee a perfect service career. Look at Scott's swingarm, look at the countless blown Raptor trannies. Some were from rider abuse and some were not. One guy was simply trail riding and it threw him over the bars suffering broken bones. These are SPORT bikes and should be built as such. Their expressed purpose is to be ridden fast and hard (including jumping). They were designed to be pushed. Honda certainly doesn't market the 400EX to be a slow, Sunday afternoon cruiser.

650ex
01-14-2002, 05:38 PM
I push my bikes but not like a bat out of ****, oh and to scott, your swingarm problem, may have been from a bad piece they used when making it or a bad weld, u know there always is the chance of a bad weld, my brother bought a warrior and when they were loading it the frame cracked and i noticed there was a bad weld, it didnt penetrate, so think before you say something

dirtclog
01-14-2002, 05:56 PM
you can make it last forever...stick it in your garage and never ride it...just kidding...

I bought my latest quad because I had a jeep that I used to trailride with and didn't have the stomach for it...It was my daily driver...so I thought :

"i'll sell the jeep buy a pickup truck and a fourwheeler and if the quad breaks on the trail i can drag it down to the truck throw it in back and go home..."

bottom line is: I bought my quad to ride and wrench on...half the fun is wrenching on it! so if it breaks take the opportunity to learn something and share it with the rest of us when we bust up our quads

:)

01-14-2002, 07:21 PM
I push my bike but i don't push it that much that it will break, It all depends how much you push it. Everyone has found a good jump that they wanted to push their bike to make,you and everyon(no offense ). :devil :grr :huh

650ex
01-15-2002, 04:43 AM
well guys, im trying to is, as long as you somewhat take care of your bikes they wont break, but if they do, dont dissing it, i had an 89 warrior that i could take apart in less than 30 minutes and have it put back together in 40 flat, if u dont believe me ive got alot of witnesses, i know where every bolt, nut, flange, bolt whole is on that bike, so yes i know the wrenchching part.

Scott
01-15-2002, 06:04 AM
My swingarm did not crack at a weld. If it was a bad weld that didn't penetrate, I'd know what the problem is, wouldn't I?

No need to be a smart *****, I was just giving you an example that didn't fit your theory of why things break.

Without getting into a pi$$ing match, I understand what you're saying. If Rico breaks a piece by casing a 90ft triple, he knows what caused it and I'd bet $$ that he's not going to say 400's are trash because something broke.

Now the people with the Raptor tranny problems, I could see how a new owner could get upset and bad mouth their bike, especially if they're getting stuck with the repair costs. I'm not flaming Yamaha's either, I own 2.

nuff said.

crday98
01-15-2002, 10:05 AM
i'm sorry but if you think things only break because of rider abuse,you are sadly mistaken.if your theory is true,there would be no such thing called "a warranty".i think we could all start a lengthy list of common problems with every popular atv that have nothing to do with rider abuse;)i don't understand how you could base your judgement just because you were furtunate enough not to have any problems with your two quads:confused:

mitty_ex
01-21-2002, 03:01 AM
Most all quads are built with a certain amount of abuse figured in. If you don't push the envelope, what's the point? Nothing is perfect and no one can guarantee a part to 100%. Things happen, stuff breaks, it's a fact of life. All you can do is maintain your machine and hope for the best.

01-22-2002, 08:52 PM
stuff will break it will happen. if your not using the power why have it? if i was going to baby my 4wheeler, go slow and not ride somewhat aggressively i would have bought a Foreman they have a much softer seat.

phatswinn
02-16-2002, 05:46 PM
im gunna go 110% on this one with dirt clog

02-16-2002, 08:37 PM
I have a raptor that I push hard sometimes but I never have any trouble with it.What exactly can happen to the raptors tranny?Do the gears go or what?Does this problem occur when someone doesnt use the clutch or does it happen for no apparent reason.If so I think it is time to think about getting rid of the quad.

Nausty
02-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Check on bluetraxx.com they will be able to tell you a lot more but I heard it had something to do with the 2nd gear and maybe 3rd and the shift fork?

02-16-2002, 10:04 PM
I checked it out.It gave me alot more info about it,I have a warranty so I hope there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks

RideRed04
02-17-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry, but this has to be the most pointless thread I have ever read! The 400ex was designed to be jumped, raced, and abused. That is why it is so reliable. The raptors are great, but they chose a poor process for making their gears. I figgure it is better to ride it for fun and upgrade every x amount of years then to ride one bike for 20 years like a grandpa.

400MXer
02-17-2002, 10:12 PM
MXing is pretty hard on quads, and that's all my quad does. I break thing, and push my quad hard. but it's an excuse for me....if i break soemthing...it's an excuse to get something better.

But i have to keep the breaking to a minimum this year because, i'm a poor college student, and i just blew all my money on a arms, shocks,and massive motor work.

02-18-2002, 10:33 AM
I don't understand why you guys are pushin your quads,,,why don't you ride them,,that's what the motor is there for along with the wheels and handlebars,,etc, etc, etc....:D :D

Sorry I just had to say that after reading all the pushin comments.