PDA

View Full Version : Jumps after corners?

dabombdale
07-03-2003, 03:35 PM
ok, here's the story, i was at a track and there was this corner that lead to a double, about 35 feet long or so, but i couldn't clear it for the life of me, so on the corner i decided to wail on the throttle and try to clear this damn thing, well my back tire hit the top of the landing ramp causing it to bounce up and i landed in the flats on my front tire. my tire turned suddenly and i got the bars in the neck and i hit my head on the ground, after a concusion and not being able to stand up withought falling for about an hour my friend drove me home.

well my question is how can i get more speed for this jump? more clutch work in the turn or a faster rate going into the turn, my bike allows me to be in 3rd when i should be in second, but even some guys on 80's were clearing it. then again this was my 4th time riding a dirt bike and my first time on a mx track. your response is greatly appreciated.

tants
07-03-2003, 04:22 PM
:eek2:

dabombdale
07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
here is a pic of the jump, that is not me lol, but you get the size of it, i should have took the pic a bit furthur away so you could get the whole picture.

dabombdale
07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
i forgot the pic :p oh, and how long do you think it is?

toby400ex
07-03-2003, 05:02 PM
thats a really smoot landing ramp, its amazing u could wreck on that. Just push it as hard as u can in the turn and wail on it.

micah
07-03-2003, 07:00 PM
that looks more like a table then a double to me. By the slope of the landing it looks like you should have been fine even if you did hit your back tire. Maybe you should check all of your suspension settings.

Or you could always follow people who are clearing it and then let off and roll it.....once you feel like you can keep up with the speed of the people who are clearing it ....just go for it.

dabombdale
07-04-2003, 01:28 PM
i think my suspension need to be on a harder setting because it would bottom out a lot

Joecool1264
07-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Hey check your rear shock settings It sounds like it my be rebounding to fast. Dial in some preload, and slow the rebound some. I had a friend go over the bars from to fast of a rebound rate. Just my two cents.

muff
07-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Joecool1264
Hey check your rear shock settings It sounds like it my be rebounding to fast. Dial in some preload, and slow the rebound some. I had a friend go over the bars from to fast of a rebound rate. Just my two cents.

yup

also try to preload your shocks to get a little more pop over the jump

dabombdale
07-04-2003, 04:31 PM
i heard of something called seat bouncing, can someone explain it to me? an how do i adjust the shocks and stuff, i had a blaster and this is my first bike, so give me advice on what to adjust

R-Crazy
07-04-2003, 04:42 PM
i think u can do it on a quad too when u just put all ur wieght bac on the bike to compress the rear shock and bring you out farther and higher. i read it in a dirtbike mag once and it sounds like it oculd be done on a quad too. correct me if i am wrong.

dave

Fuchs42
07-04-2003, 04:49 PM
didnt u ever play atv offroad fury or fury2 jesus guys yes preload and work on your cornering you can keep ur speed in the turns and can go faster...

dabombdale
07-04-2003, 05:07 PM
i adjusted my suspension a bit too, i was talking to a guy and he said it might be too stiff for me so i will have to play with it at the track and see, i will keep trying that jump if it kills me, and since it was my first time at a track, i wasn't going that fast in corners, so i shall work on that also.

400exBro
07-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by R-Crazy
i think u can do it on a quad too when u just put all ur wieght bac on the bike to compress the rear shock and bring you out farther and higher. i read it in a dirtbike mag once and it sounds like it oculd be done on a quad too. correct me if i am wrong.

dave

yes it can, just look at this pic of jasmin plante, i believe he is sitting down as he is about to clear the table top...

it is a strange felling, i have tried it... and almost crashed...

muff
07-05-2003, 02:38 PM
i lean back as far as I can, if you try to sit down on the seat all of the way you'll get bucked off

MxDale71
07-06-2003, 08:49 AM
DaBombDale - Hey dude, I made the switch from quads to bikes and I'm pimpin the YZ 250F too. I could probably help you out a little. My AIM s/n is MPeteyPabloX . I know suspension pretty good and I have lots of really fast bike rider friends that have given me a lot of racing tips, so holla at me and maybe I can help you out.

micah
07-06-2003, 09:26 AM
MxDale- how do you like going from quads to bikes? Im thinking about doing the same thing. Just cant justify putting $4000 into a quads supsension and exhaust when a motocross dirt bikes come with that good of a suspension stock...plus faster

MxDale71
07-06-2003, 09:59 AM
I was out at Athens MX about a week ago w/ my friend Jake, who rides 125 Int and Open Amt on a KTM SX 125 (just one of my really fast friends) and I told him that I wish he would have convinced me to make the switch a lot earlier. I was faster on the C-dale than I am on my bike right now but I haven't been riding bikes very long (I've only ridden about 4 bikes w/ about 30 minutes seat time total before I bought my 250F) so I still have to get used to the bike, but I get faster every time I go out there and I love it more and more after every ride. Ya, the suspension for quads is insane. I've ridden 250R's w/ TCS suspension (set up for the rider that weighs about the same as me) and that suspension was NO better than my factory stock suspension on my bike and I'm not even done dialing it in. It runs through the breakin bumps smoother and I can ride longer on the bike than I ever could on a quad. It jumps better, it's funner to corner, accelerates better, lands better, lighter, cheaper, and chicks dig the bikes.

Sorry for all the rambling, but I seriously love racing the bike more than I do quads and I was the biggest quad fan you could ever meet. I just didn't have that kind of money to make a race ready quad.

micah
07-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Sounds like we think the exact same way. Im going to keep my quad and buy a 125 in less then six months. I just dont want to get rid of the quad until i am sure that i like the bikes more.

Everyone seems to look down on quads. At the track, anywhere. When you watch the dirt bikes and then watch the quads on the track its kinda funny.

norrisboat
07-06-2003, 10:21 AM
I think quads are more fun in my opinion. Its too late to switch too. I already spent that 4000 dollars in suspension.

MxDale71
07-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Ya, I was a little scared of that myself. I thought I would make the switch and end up hating bikes and regret doing it. But I couldn't afford to keep both, so I had to take the risk and my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

I don't want anyone to think that I am tryin to make people switch. If there is anyone out there tryin to decide between bikes and quads, please, go w/ the quads. Quad racing could really use more numbers and I want to see it become as popular as bike racing. It is fun if you have the money, but my style matches the bikes much more. I don't like to square off the jumps out of corners and stuff like that and that has caused me to have some bad wrecks from the quad getting thrown all sideways. On bikes you can hit jumps at angles.

Anyways, all I'm really saying is that for some people that can't afford to build a completely aftermarket quad and their current quad is holding them back, bikes may be the answer for them. Bikes suit me better, but I"m not saying they are better or worse. Thats up to the rider.

MxDale71
07-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Oh, and I also, I highly recommend you guys stickin w/ quads because I don't need any more competition. Even the 125 beginner class hauls *****. :D :macho

ROGERS
07-06-2003, 01:06 PM
I think the quad gods are punishing you for switching to an evil rut-making two-wheeler.

killer03_300ex
07-06-2003, 01:17 PM
feathering the clutch into corners helps alot

MxDale71
07-06-2003, 03:52 PM
I think the quad gods are punishing you for

Either that or the bike gods are punishing him for riding those quads that flatten the ruts that we use to rail the corners w/. :p

killer03 - Feathering the clutch is a trick that's used to keep the RPM's at a certain range so that the bike stays in the powerband. That is a 2-stroke trick because they have the short snappy powerbands. 4-strokes have broad powerbands and will pull off the bottom much better so the clutch feathering isn't very necessary on them. Not to mention that feathering the clutch on a 4-stroke is also he11 on the clutch. Thats like driving a truck w/ the clutch halfway pushed in for a long time... it won't last long. If you find yourself in a situation where you way to low in the RPM range on your 4-stroke, you should shift down a gear and be more aggressive coming out of the corner and practice cornering so that you can run that corner fast enough to keep it in that higher gear.

Duncanracer
07-11-2003, 08:52 AM
on seat bouncing, I kind of sit farther forward on the seat(sitting all the way down) basically past the center fo the seat..and after launching the jump I stand up and tap the break to bring the front down.. I havent come close to crashing on seat bouncing yet(knock on wood)..

and you're on a 250f and an 80 clears it but you canta? aw naw...j/k..takes time...I doubt I could clear that on a 800cc two stroke bike...on a quad i probably could..

dabombdale
07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
that was my first time riding a bike, i was shacky. i am going again this saturday and will try to get pics.

Duncanracer
07-11-2003, 03:05 PM
cool, and I was just joking with ya...How does a 250f handle? my experience on dirtbikes is limited to yz125's and old old old vintage bikes i.e. Penton 125's.

Evan400ex
07-11-2003, 03:18 PM
I am just opposite of MXdale71. I started out on bikes, first a PW80, YZ80, KX125, and then a YZ250. Then I got my quad,...a 400ex. In just a years time I am whole lot better on quads than I ever was on my bikes. Quads are so much more fun than bikes, but everybody has there own opinion. I don't think I will ever go back to riding bikes. Quads for life!

TCracin440ex
07-11-2003, 05:37 PM
dude next time u come to this track stay with a group of bikes thats bout in the same ccs as you and listen to their motor and do what they do....you should clear it....also that 4 stroke proally wont accelerate fast as the 2 strokes thats why these kids on the 80's are clearing it...and if its your 1st time on the track you shouldnt be trying to be pastrana, mcgrath, carmichel and them pro riders...do what you can do...my suggestion to newbies is to crooze arround the track at practice and get accustom to the track and the rythem...after u get your rythem man ull be ok

07-12-2003, 04:56 AM
i cut the corner tight, and im sitting down still turn on the face , once im in the air i stand upstraightent the quad out and land, if ur no"one with your quad" id be a lil cautious about trying it, i can jump pretty much any jump on are practice track or the race track sitting down if i want to

07-12-2003, 05:00 AM
forgot to add , dont forget to hold on with your legs

i learned how to do it on a dirtbike , you can sit right down on the quad and turn on the face i know it for a fact...because i do it all the time, just get to know your machine and youll be ok

Tommy 17
07-12-2003, 06:43 AM
1st off ur suspension shold be perfect for u if u got it set up by pro action... if its not take it back... if u bought the bike used and its not set up for u thats y u wrecked;)

the 4stroke bikes are easier to clear jumps out of the turn then the 2stroke...

what kinda turn is it??? is it a off camber turn or a no berm turn???

if its off camber (a nice size berm thats banked) u wanna be in 2nd gear... come in with the clutch half way in so it still revs have the gas on a lil with the rear brake on and sorta slide into it... put weight on the outside peg lean the bike in and stick ur inside foot out a bit... about 1/2 though the turn let off the rear brake and front brake and let out the clutch and crack the gas so its rpms are hight don't let off and grab another gear... stay on the seat till u hit the face of the jump and throw ur weight into the face and it will preload the rear shock for u... when u start to preload ur also gonna have to learn how to whip the bike in the air to stay fast and low...

thats how i use to take jumps out of turns... its hard to do and it feels like ur gonna die but it works...

and lookin at that jump u should be able to clear that in 2nd gear on a 250f no problem...

dabombdale
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
thanx guys, your help is greatly appreciated. I am going to the track tomorrow and will try and get pics, it is a different track, but still good. that turn wasn't burmed, it was just flat.

MxDale71
07-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

if its off camber (a nice size berm thats banked) u wanna be in 2nd gear... come in with the clutch half way in so it still revs have the gas on a lil with the rear brake on and sorta slide into it

Clutch half pulled in and be on the gas on a 4-stroke? Um... that clutch won't last very long doing that. Thats more of a 2-stroke technique.

If there is a jump that you are just coming up short on, go way outside, like off the track, and just get a good long run at the jump so you can see how fast you need to go to clear it right. When you get that figured out, just rail the outside and try to get up to that speed. You'll just need to practice your cornering.

Sit on the outside of the seat, weight on the outside peg, inside arm fairly straight and outside arm bent, sit up on the front and have your head over the handle bars. If the corner is slick and you spin a lot, don't sit forward so much. Go into the corener hard adn do all your breaking before you come into the corner. AND REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR ELBOWS UP!

crap-banshee32
07-13-2003, 11:14 AM
yeah, just preload the shock and u should have to prob making it!

dabombdale
07-13-2003, 01:35 PM
i just came back from a different track and after some suspension adjusting i was doing great. I almost jumped every jump there except for 1, but i was doing some 50 foot double, i just needed to go fast.