PDA

View Full Version : if u know bout engines read please

wanaraceme
07-03-2003, 12:59 PM
sup thanx for reading, i had to take my engine apart for a few reasons and i got it started but there is a knocking noise coming from the front right of the head. im thinkin its either the valves arent set right or my timings off or can it be the decompressor. hell maybe i just suck at fixin stuff but please ne output would be helpfull. thanks alot.

Big400EX
07-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I think it's the valves? I would get your owners manual and check out how your supposed to do it and redo them..

Good Luck, I hope you figure this problem out.

4TraxRider
07-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Is it a tick or a knowkc, because if its a knock, somthings really off. Valves when off, usually only make a tick tick noise.

wanaraceme
07-05-2003, 01:32 PM
hey thanx for the answers i adjusted the valves and it still made the ticking noise so i took the head cover off and my timing was off. i just adjusted the spocket and cam and all that and its running good. the only problem is its smokin quite abit by where the head pipes go in the engine, i rode it for about 15 mins and its still smokin a lil is it just spilt oil burning off of do i need to change my exhaust gaskets for the X-6. please help me out guys thanks alot. lata

JOEX
07-05-2003, 03:27 PM
If there are "puffs" of smoke coming out the gaskets need replacing. If the smoke is just "floating off it is probably just spilt oil on the pipe.

Joe

RoadkillerRyan
07-06-2003, 03:03 PM
Different problem- didnt wanan start a new thread

when i start my quad and dont rev it enough it will make it tick tick tick nosie then shut off, is it the values or what?

wanaraceme
07-06-2003, 03:15 PM
hey man the reason mine was ticking was my timing was off, i adjusted the valves and set the timing right and its running good so make sure you are TDC open the 2 caps on the left of the krank and turn it counterclockwise till it gets to the T. then put the cam lobes facing down and the lil line up on the sprocket. if its hard to get the sprocket back on the cam. take out the chain tensioner then its prob best if you adjust the valves. try this and talk to me later if you got some more problems. good luck lata man. and a service manual for the ex is prob the best 30 bucks u can spend on your bike.