PDA

View Full Version : how to tighten chain

BigDave
07-02-2003, 02:43 PM
How is this done. I loosened the two allen bolts, got a screw driver and hammer, beat the shiit out of the nut on the right side of the sprocket. It didnt budge either way, up or down. Anymore ideas?

300ex

Evan400ex
07-02-2003, 02:53 PM
It takes me forever to tighten the chain on my 400. I used a allen wrench and put on a pair of gloves and pushed down as hard as I could on that adjuster by the sprocket. It wouldn't budge the first few times but then I got p*ssed,...then I got it to move.:devil:

BigDave
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
ive actually gouged the alloy. I am scared to break it :ermm:

JOEX
07-02-2003, 05:18 PM
There is probably some dirt or chit in between the carrier and swing arm. If you have the time, tools, manual and mechanical inclination i'd suggest removing the axel and carrier and clean things up then reinstall. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the carrier bearings while your at it.

Joe

BigDave
07-02-2003, 10:51 PM
which way does it spin to tighten...if im looking at it from the back. Up or down?

Braff1
07-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Be careful beating it with a hammer. That is cast aluminum and it will not take much to break it.

I have to agree with Joe about taking it out and cleaning it. If you do a lot of riding in creek bed and/or sand this might be good idea.

I use along screw driver about 18 inches long to move my stocker.

you should move the carrier down ( If behind the quad pull the carrier toward you).

muff
07-03-2003, 06:08 AM
do what JOEX said

also before you try turning the carrier wiggle the brake caliper...it should wiggle a little bit, that plate that the caliper is on needs to be able to slide forward and back when the carrier is turned, if the round thing on the stud is cocked then it would keep the carrier from moving

if i were you i'd take my rear sproket off, then pull the axle and carrier out and grease em up good

ktMan
07-18-2003, 06:59 PM
well just doing this myself, iremoved the carrier and cleaned it good and put some anti-seize on it, there was lots of dirt in there that prevented mine from moving too, it wouldnt budge now it works great

svwildcats
07-29-2003, 04:05 AM
Its defenently a good idea to take it off and clean it every once and a while. Mine ended up breaking and the berings were all screwed up do to lack of cleaning. About $400 in repairs.

svwildcats-