PDA

View Full Version : ? for those of you w/o airbox lids

tants
07-02-2003, 12:16 PM
on my 250r... the owner befor me cut bascally the entire middle out of my airbox lid... so all i have is about 1/2 inch left on each side of the lid... so bascally its like running no lid...

last time i went riding at ruasch creek, it was very muddy. when i got home to clean the quad, there was clumps of mud inside the airbox, the filter wasnt too muddy, my question is, what do you use to keep the majority of the mud out of the airbox? i know the small dirt particles will get in no matter what, i herd bad things about the outerwears airbox cover... i was thinking of just putting down like spandex and putting the remander of the lid to hold it down...

any ideas :confused:

07-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by tants
i was thinking of just putting down like spandex and putting the remander of the lid to hold it down...

either do that or buy a new 250r lid and when tis muddy out...rejet and use the new lid..and when its not so muddy....go back to normal jeting and run the hackep up lid

bpimpdaddy21
07-02-2003, 01:38 PM
www.ehsracing.com , they have the kits to mod the airbox for your wheeler, might have enough material left on the edges to try it. Check out his site, I am satisfied with the one for my 400EX.

SLB400EX
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Have you seen the EHS Racing lids???
My husband kinda set our air boxes up like that, using thin aluminum and the outerwears cover.
Works nicely.... took a little time on Rob's part but it pretty cheap to do. We've been in a good amount of mud and water and NO problem as of yet(knock on wood).
Will say that I have to spray silicone on the outerwears every so ofter to keep them water repellent.

Here's a thread on the EHS lids..
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50212&highlight=EHS%2A

Later...Sher

SLB400EX
07-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by bpimpdaddy21
www.ehsracing.com , they have the kits to mod the airbox for your wheeler, might have enough material left on the edges to try it. Check out his site, I am satisfied with the one for my 400EX.

sorry..I musta been typing as you were posting...

tants
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
the EHS is very nice, but expensize...

anyone else have any ideas? think the spandex idea will work :confused2

SLB400EX
07-02-2003, 02:07 PM
It's breathable...should work OK.

Nylon panty hose .... cut a leg, slip it over the lid, slap the lid on the box ... ???

AndrewRRR
07-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Just get a lid. $23 from service honda. I don't think the spandex sandwich would be a good idea. If you were getting mud in your airbox before, you will have mud collecting on that spandex, hurting airflow and letting water drain into the airbox and onto your filter. I'd just get a new lid. Unless you want to try the redneck duct tape/chicken wire method. lol

TC17
07-02-2003, 07:36 PM
i drilled 5 holes in the top of the airbox lid and put in these air vent-things they had material in them to trap dirt but suck in air. they work pretty good for me and mud doesn't get in the airbox. if it's real muddy it just covers them but doesn't go through. they're only a couple bucks.

Baley69
07-02-2003, 07:47 PM
I made one exactly like the one you can buy for 60 bucks for 20. I bought the outerwears airbox cover, cut my lid, cut my alluminum, cut the outerwear to fit and I was done. I'll post pics of it finished later.

racerx573
07-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Tants, I'll be making EHS style lids soon.

lil400exman
07-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Tants, I'll be making EHS style lids soon.
i'd buy one then lol..........:D

excess
07-03-2003, 09:40 AM
I bought a 10 dollar outwewear for the filter itself and that has held up great.

bandit390
07-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Or go the cheap way and buy a big outerwear. Cut it ,spread it over your airbox and find an way to strap it down (big rubber band / etc)

RytM1
07-03-2003, 10:50 AM
I went to a fabric store, and bought some flag nylon (the same stuff outerwears are made from) and made my own. It cost about $10 for a 3' x 3' piece (this way, in case you screw it up, ya got lots more left over to try it again).

Scott-300ex
07-03-2003, 03:50 PM
thats kinda stupid, that guy shoulda just ran without an airbox lid

if i were you i would use screen from like a screen door or something, it won't restrict your airflow hardly at all and you will block most the big dirt, as long as it doesn't make like a sifter and take the big clumps down, but i would do that