PDA

View Full Version : How well does carbon fiber hold up to crashes?

RIDER11X
07-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Stuff like scoops and tank covers.:confused2

Diedrich
07-01-2003, 08:10 PM
the carbon fiber stuff i've seen is pretty strong

racerx573
07-01-2003, 09:32 PM
My hood scoop cracked the first wreck I had with it. It cracked in like 3 or 4 spots where the opening is, btu then again my quad id cartwheel about 4 times.... I'd recommend a quad tech naca hood.

XANDADA
07-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Stuff like scoops and tank covers.:confused2

It doesn't hold up to crashes very well and scratches fairly easily. The painted ones seem to hide the scratches better than the clear at least that's what I've found with my stuff.

OutlawEX
07-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Ive had my hood scoop for about a year now and no problems. Also have a tank cover no problems. Also have carbon fiber side covers and still no problem

Fibe Industries
07-02-2003, 04:34 AM
I Have done alot of testing and carbon will break alot easier than fiber glass. carbon has a higher tensilty strengh that allows for strong holding ( like an air tank) and fiberglass is more flexable, for the wait and what it cost Fiberglass is the better material for riding but if you want the look that a chance of it breaking. That why I make my metal flake, there is only a little bit out there, and tons of carbon.
just my 2 cent worth

RIDER11X
07-02-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Fibe Industries
I Have done alot of testing and carbon will break alot easier than fiber glass. carbon has a higher tensilty strengh that allows for strong holding ( like an air tank) and fiberglass is more flexable, for the wait and what it cost Fiberglass is the better material for riding but if you want the look that a chance of it breaking. That why I make my metal flake, there is only a little bit out there, and tons of carbon.
just my 2 cent worth

How much is you Naca duct style fiberglass hood for a 400ex? Do you also do , or plan to do plastic hoods?

Fibe Industries
07-02-2003, 02:10 PM
I dont now if it will work or not but you can try Ill sell one to you for 80$ to try it out. Thanks:p

racerx573
07-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Plastic hood scoops would be sweet. I dont see why Full Bore or Maier hasn't done that yet. I'm sure it would be more expensive to make them (mold's and stuff), but once the ball got rolling they would easily pay themselves off.

RIDER11X
07-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
Plastic hood scoops would be sweet. I dont see why Full Bore or Maier hasn't done that yet. I'm sure it would be more expensive to make them (mold's and stuff), but once the ball got rolling they would easily pay themselves off.
Just Emailed Maier. We'll see.:)

XANDADA
07-03-2003, 01:56 AM
It would be dirt cheap for them to make a decent plastic hood as long as there are no undercuts in the mold. It could be manufactured from a mold that cost them less than $2k and $1.50 a hood to produce. What am I sayin, I should design one myself. Anyone wanna lend me $2k? :devil: