PDA

View Full Version : TIGHTENING REAR AXEL --WOBBLE--300ex-info quick please

"BLAHH"300!!
01-13-2002, 08:58 PM
tomarrow i'm going to have time to strip it down and go after those hard to reach places on my bike but i have a few questions first......
..1st...my rear axel is a little loose..not enugh to make a deffinate differance.."but any wobble is not good"..how do i go about tightening it up..it has a little play in it not sliding from left to right but i can grab it wiith the chain loose and give it a shake....i tried figureing out where a the place was to tighten it but i'm lost...one side has the chain tightening thing and the other realy doesn't have anything...what do i tighten or loosen or how does this work...i have a new set a berrings ready to go in if thats what it needs but i don't think so..i just had the rear axel replaced about a year ago....

...2nd....sqeeky front end....it's either the shock or the bushing in the front end of my bike making it sqeek when i either hit a bump
or shake the bike from left to right while sitting on it...has anyone found a good way to get in there and lube this up and make it stop...it doesnt realy bother me.it just sounds cheep.....

...3rd...trimming fender's...what did you guys use to trim em' up...i already have the fronts shaved and i used a jigg-saw for that..is that what you guys are using.?? i'm getting a new set of rears soon and i'm going to shave a little off the bottom...and the fender's that are on there now i'm going to scalp....a freind of mine broke my right rear off and it broke with a little point coming off towards the back...kinda like the seat on the old..suzuki lt500 or like on the new ..suzuki z400...either way..i'm going to trim that side up a little and round it off then shave the other side to match it....and use the new set for everyday ridin' and the super "scalped" set for riding in sand and other times when i know there's no mud or water to worry about.....

..4th..let me get this streight....the only 2 places to grease a 300ex is at the front brakes...where else is there a place to grease that i way have looked over.....what do you guys use to fix the squeeky noise coming from the front end....

..5th..what da' ya' think..i have my rear sprokett painted white..my rear hubs painted white..and that thin piece of metal behind the front rim.with the holes in it.painted white...now i'm thinking about going ahead and sanding that ole' rusty bar that holds your nerf bars together..in the center front of the bike..paint that and my foot pegs white......all the things that i already have painted white look clean and are holding up real good.better than i thought....so i'm not worried about it chipping...

..6th..what have i missed..let me know of some other things i should probably do while i'm at it...yes i'm chainging oil and filter while i'm at it.and i'm hitting the chain also...but what else..breather...<..did that today...

knighttime
01-13-2002, 09:27 PM
2nd ? : Take the bushing apart and grease it to make it stop squeaking.

4th ? : Dont grease it. What looks like grease fittings by the front brakes are actually brake bleeders.

Good luck dude,

mike

MikeL250X
01-13-2002, 09:39 PM
#1 - it's the axle bearings, if you can move the axle (not side to side, but forward to back) then the bearings are indeed shot, do it now before it gets too lose and the chain jumps and breaks the case cover, that thing is $110 :(

Don't forget about adjusting the valves if you haven't anytime recently.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-13-2002, 10:03 PM
......knightime.....how do i go about taking the front bushings off
....i havn't even begane to look at where this noise is coming from and i'm clueless as to where they are "exactly" located..if i have to remove my a-arms...too bad i'll just enjoy the squeeking...

.and the brake bleeder's..yes i'm a moron.i greesed those like the third day i had the bike..bought used..so if i's messed up then i'm alredy screwed their.thanx for the reply's

......mikel250x.....how do i go about getting the axel out i didn't replace the axel last time and din't watch the guy who did it...should have i guess...how do i get to the bearings....elaborate for me....
....valves.i'm not going there...i don't have the tools or the know how...but good sugestion...

.......i need more info.....thanx again

SGA
01-13-2002, 10:53 PM
Go get a haynes 300ex service manual, read through it & have at it! Have rebuilt plenty of engines & such, but I won't put it together/service it until i check the manual. Save your self some grief, go get the book.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-13-2002, 11:06 PM
by any chance have a scanner would you??....scann the picture's
and instructions for the questions i'm asking and email em' to me would you.....i'm pressed for time and would like to get this over with tomarrow.....i shoulda posted all this earlier but once again i was swammped with the time thing...and i don't know where to get a haynes manuel from....

if you would..... w1de5preadpanic@aol.com

or if anyone else out there has a manuel with this info in it and a scanner.please e-mail it too me if you could.....

MikeL250X
01-14-2002, 07:20 AM
to get the axle out you need to remove the wheels and hubs. undo the rear caliper and rotor. Remove the axle lock nut (you will need either a large wrench I think 45mm, or just get 2 pipe wrenches) I think that's about everything. Then unbolt the 2 bolts that lock the bearing carrier in place and it will slide out the left side. Getting the bearings out is tough, I used a long screwdriver and a hammer and tapped them out from the opposite side (I have a RAD housing though) make sure to put plenty of grease in with the new bearings.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-14-2002, 04:18 PM
I got it all fugured out today....just by using common sence and remembering what went back on/in first..thanx for the reply's

although i din't get into the bushings in the front a-arms....
how do i get to them...i can't figure this out..do i have to remove the a-arms..lube the bushings..then put them back on?.....and would wd-40 be ok to just squirt around the edges there.?..i'm lost again....

...and i went ahead and painted my.foot pegs and that little rusty bar that holds together the nerfs....looks tight man....if the paint holds up as good as the rest of it.then it should look good for a while......wish i had a scanner or a digital cammera...

400exRacerX
01-16-2002, 03:47 PM
I would say your axle bearings are shot, it is fairly common for this to happen on a 300ex.