PDA

View Full Version : diffrence between elka and works rear shocks. my freind thinks they are the same.

quader400
07-01-2003, 03:49 PM
ok so my friend thinks elka and works rear shocks are the exact same. no diffrence. so i want to see pictures of both rears and what do all of you think?

racerx573
07-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Theyre definitely different!!! The works is a preloaded shock, and the elka is a "zero preload" system which allows the machine to have sag , giving it a lower ride height. Bolt them both up and you will see the works will make the bike site higher, and be a lot more springy.

07-02-2003, 02:52 AM
There is no comparison... The elka will out perform the works in all situations.... Tell your freind he's an idiot and doesn't know chit from chinolla....:eek:

:devil:

quader400
07-02-2003, 03:08 AM
thank you. thats what i needed. because i was looking for an aftermarket rear shock and my friend told me he saw a works rear and i said i did not want that beacause i wanted something to match with my fronts so then he said that there is no difference. and he said that both triple rates, both zps and both have rezzies. so he had no idea what he was talking about.

QuadTrix6
07-02-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
Theyre definitely different!!! The works is a preloaded shock, and the elka is a "zero preload" system which allows the machine to have sag , giving it a lower ride height. Bolt them both up and you will see the works will make the bike site higher, and be a lot more springy.

ELKA is NOT a zero preload shock...its self sagging

BigThumper33
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Preload is tension on the springs!!! if you can turn the springs then it can basically be considered a "zero preload" shock! My elka springs can turn...thus zero preload.

I believe we had a discussion on how no shock is an exact zps system because if there was not any preload of any type the springs would rattle...

QuadTrix6
07-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by BigThumper33
Preload is tension on the springs!!! if you can turn the springs then it can basically be considered a "zero preload" shock! My elka springs can turn...thus zero preload.

I believe we had a discussion on how no shock is an exact zps system because if there was not any preload of any type the springs would rattle...

my spring rattle!! :confused:

BigThumper33
07-02-2003, 04:49 PM
I believe I remember reading in a shock thread that Motowoz said that no one actually runs a complete zero preload because the springs would rattle when fully extended...and it wasn't good or something...

I figured he'd know alittle more than you.... :D

racerx573
07-02-2003, 09:06 PM
My Axis rattle, and my friends PEP ZPS rattle.

07-03-2003, 02:02 AM
PEP ZPS is different than Elkas SSD spring. Big difference.. Handle alike but different for sure...