PDA

View Full Version : How to bleed brakes?

Ty's400
07-01-2003, 03:41 PM
I was just wondering how you bleed your brake lines. Just want to further my knowledge in working on four-wheelers and that. Any help would be great. thanks

RoadkillerRyan
07-02-2003, 01:08 AM
i think you just need a brake bleeder that connnects to the end of the brake line and pumps out the air or somthing

MOFO
07-02-2003, 05:24 AM
We found that an old turkey injector, the one you would use for injecting fluids into food work well. Just get a piece of flexible hose and attach it to the "bleeder" valve on your caliper. Take your reservoir cover off. Make sure the injector is full of fluid and there are no air bubbles. Open the bleeder valve with an open faced wrench then "inject" the new fluid through the bleeder. Watch for the air bubbles to leave via the reservoir...

bakerboyz
07-02-2003, 01:40 PM
First clean the reservior cover then remove it. Open the bleeder valve and depress the pedal (watch the fluid and air squirt out - Close the bleader valve and then release the brake. Repeat a few times. refill the reservior as needed between steps. Make shure to clean up and brake fluid as it can eat paint. Use DOT 4 brake fluid.

Ty's400
07-02-2003, 03:45 PM
thanks for all the information:D

Scott-300ex
07-12-2003, 08:00 AM
fill up the resivoir with brake fluid, dot 3 or 4, 3 is definetly enough, then pump your pedal for about 15 seconds and hold it down, then have your buddy or you open the bleeder screw while keeping the pedal held down, let the air bubble out or the fluid run out (which ever happens) then close the bleeder screw and then once it is fully tightened, you can then release the pedal, then pump again and repeat

repeat this until only fluid comes out with no air bubbles.

IF YOU RELEASE THE PEDAL WHEN THE BLEEDER SCREW IS OPEN, YOU WILL SUCK AIR INTO THE LINES AND HAVE TO REPEAT THE WHOLE PROCESS AGAIN!!

;)

07-26-2003, 05:57 PM
i have to pu8sh my rear brake pedal almost all the way down b4 it starts to work

MOFO
07-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i have to pu8sh my rear brake pedal almost all the way down b4 it starts to work

have you ever thought about bleeding your rear brakes or even checking them??????

07-28-2003, 05:12 AM
yah....every time i would bleed them it would shoot fluid out to the wall & i would hold it down and tighten it back up & then they wouldnt work at all & I would have to fill the rear master cylinder up....you know whats wrong? my brake pads are still good too.

JD400exrider
07-29-2003, 07:15 PM
If it shooting fluid out to hit the wall it sounds like you have the air out. Is it leaking around the caliper or master cylinder?. Sounds like you may have to rebuild the master cylinder. Try bleeding them with a vacuum pump. It is hand pump you hook up to the bleeder and it works killer. Try that before you rebuild.

I tried bleeding mine after installing some new break lines. I could not get all the air out untill i used this mighty pump. Bought it at Napa

cheetah
07-30-2003, 10:44 AM
You did check your brake pads right? Mine did that, but because I was running metal to metal on my pads.

07-30-2003, 12:16 PM
my pads are fine

07-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Oh yeh, don't let the fluid get too low when your bleeding your brakes or air will get back in and ur Fooked :mad: and have to start over again, don't ask me how i know this.

mr250quad
08-05-2003, 04:38 PM
check your rotor to make sure it is not bent. When a bent rotor is turning it will push the piston back into the caliper a little. Then when you apply the brakes the piston has to travel the extra distance to squeeze the rotor which in turn the pedal has to travel further.

08-06-2003, 10:22 AM
my rotor doesnt have any obvious bends....i can't tell that it is bent by looking at it so I dont think that is the problem..

craftyex
08-12-2003, 07:48 AM
run the end of the tube that is connected to your bleeder screw into a jar filled with some brake fluid. this way air does not get sucked back in.

Scott-300ex
08-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
my rotor doesnt have any obvious bends....i can't tell that it is bent by looking at it so I dont think that is the problem..

just get you and a friend and lift the back end of your quad up on a crate or bucket, or stool...something strong enough to hold your wheeler, after that, you can spin your back tires fine and look at your brake rotor and see if it spins side to side or looks straight. Now, this is a cheap and easy way to check it, but for better service, you can take it off and take it to an automotive shop, a good one, and have them check it on there machine;)

08-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by craftyex
run the end of the tube that is connected to your bleeder screw into a jar filled with some brake fluid. this way air does not get sucked back in.
this is good advice