PDA

View Full Version : how lond would it take...

Stevie-D
07-01-2003, 12:47 PM
my 400 engine's makin a knockin sound, and im havin either the dealor or a small engine repair shop look at it. im thinkin new piston kit, and boring the cylinder. how many hours would it take (on average) to find whats wrong, fix it, and reassemble?:confused:

dam shop charges $50\per hour:eek: :grr:

Bill Fuller
07-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Do the work yourself Stevie.The only thing you need someone else for is the bore,other than that it's a couple of hrs to take it down to the rod (plastic,valve train,cylinder etc...)Save the shop charge and get a manual,as long as you got patience and basic metric tools you can do it.:macho I think there was a post about down loading the manual for free if you want to save even more.

Bill Fuller
07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
By the way if you have been riding her rough(did I say that?) you might want to think about a transmission rebuild(2nd&3rd are the ones to go)Also a job you can do yourself,save yourself some time and money and order through ServiceHonda you can also use thier web site to get a complete microfish(sp) of the bike.

Stevie-D
07-01-2003, 01:02 PM
ive got the manual, but dont know exactly whats wrong. i dont wanna rip the top end apart, only to find out that its something in the bottom end.

Bill Fuller
07-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Gotta start somewhere.Would you rather the shop be trying to figure it out at 50 bucks an hour?You don't have to take the tranny apart just yet,rebuild the top end and put it back together and you should be able to pinpoint your problem.If your not having any problems shifting or if the motor still making noise at idle with it in neutral than you probably have tranny problems.Don't get discouraged do the top end and see what happens.

YZROOSTINYA
07-02-2003, 02:33 AM
if you can find a prob with the top end then its the bottom end.

most likely its the main bearings or rod bearing

you prb need a full rebuild.