PDA

View Full Version : sprockets

BigDave
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
I have a stock 01 300ex. What gearing can I get to walk my buddys 400ex on top end. We both hit our rev limiter and he is BARELY 0.5mph faster than me. I mean in about 100ft of wide open, he crawls all of a couple feet. I just hate running out of gear before power. All of my rides are top end anyway. We run 5th gear for miles at a time and are hardly ever in the lower. What combos should I look for and what websites are good on prices. I have a 38t on the back. I cant count my front right now, it started raining.

BTW, his 400 has a diff sprocket and 20inch tires

im stock with 22inchers

killer03_300ex
07-01-2003, 12:11 PM
i no u can put a 14 tooth on the front thats what i have and it add alil top speed now im wondering if u can put a 15 tooth 400ex front sprocket on the 300 if u can it would move and if anyone nos can let me no

wilkin250r
07-01-2003, 12:43 PM
I think stock gearing in a 300EX is 13 front, so a 14t front is certainly taller. This won't necessarily give you more top speed, though, because there is no guarantee that you will still hit the rev limiter.

You may want to try a few different setups, like 13/37, 13/36, or 14/39. If he is just barely creeping ahead of you, I'd try the 36t rear before going to a 14t front.

I'd give C&D racing (the primary sponser of this site) a call. They gave me a great price on sprockets, cheaper than I had seen anywhere.

BigDave
07-01-2003, 12:55 PM
it has a 38rear already on it. So my next and cheapest is the front.

Scott-300ex
07-01-2003, 01:25 PM
a 14 tooth WILL neccasarily give you more top speed, you will hit the rev limiter either way, you quad isn't like,"oh, i got a 14 tooth on so now i will not hit the rev limiter, only with a 13 tooth" no, its not like that, you quad will hit the rev limiter if you have enough area to get toped out and if you got it burried

so a 14 tooth is ganna give you about 4-5 mph faster over a 13 because the rule of thumb is 1 tooth up front is 4-5 mph faster, now you will lose some bottom end but a pipe and filter will take care of that with the proper jets, or if you don't want to get that you wont lose to much especially since you say you run at top speed a lot

also to gain some speed on him, make sure your tires are inflated correctly and make sure your quad is well maintained and duck down and put your weight towards the back a little :p......................but seriously do it

wilkin250r
07-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
a 14 tooth WILL neccasarily give you more top speed, you will hit the rev limiter either way, you quad isn't like,"oh, i got a 14 tooth on so now i will not hit the rev limiter,

It's possible to over-gear your quad. Try putting a 20t front sprocket on, and I guarantee you will not hit the rev limiter in 5th gear...

Scott-300ex
07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
oh, and you will need to modify or get a different case saver.

if you don't have enough power to move the machine then you won't hit the rev limiter if it bogs it down to much, but with a 13 or 14 you will hit the rev limiter cause you ain't boggin it down, but different terrain is different