PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjust

BigDave
07-01-2003, 11:10 AM
My clutch is now at the end of my lever. And is very short...at the very end to the end and it engages....its still tight. But id like to order a new one soon. A webpage for a new one and maybe a detail on how hard it is to put in might in store for me.

2001 300ex.

One more thing, what about a cam. Is this gonna be a shop instal or my backyard?

remlapr
07-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I just put in a new clutch a couple of weeks ago and it hooks up great - but it still engages when the lever is almost all the way out. I tried to think about it in terms of a car, when you put a new clutch in a car - it engages near the floor board, then as it wears the point that it engages moves out away from the floor board, I thought it would be this way with the bike on my clutch - but nope, all brand new plates and heavy duty springs and it still engages when the lever is almost all the way out. The only thing I can think - and this is just a theory - is that if I would have torqued down the five spring bolts more maybe it would engage closer to the grip - does this make sense to anyone?

BigDave
07-01-2003, 11:25 AM
I actually bought it used. The clutch has been at the end of the lever since ive had it. I guess ill just wait till it slips :ermm:

Castor-426ex
07-01-2003, 05:25 PM
cable stretch

MOFO
07-02-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
cable stretch

This is your answer. Adjust your cable....

BigDave
07-02-2003, 07:14 AM
how is this done. Im a newbie here....ive adjusted the one near the lever...like on a bicycle....

hondarider2006
07-02-2003, 07:27 AM
thats all I had to do and it worked fine after that. Theres some bolts down by the end of the cable by your engine you can adjust. Try those and see what happens.

remlapr
07-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Yeah - I can adjust it and move it in towards the grip, but that's not really changing the engage point of the pull - that's just putting slack in the cable so that when you begin to pull it you are just taking out the slack before the actual lever on the case starts to move. What I was saying is that I wish the clutch would grab later in the motion of the lever on the case? Does that make sense? Oh and BigDave - adjusting it down by the case and adjusting it by the lever has the same net effect. I think the idea is to do major adjustments down by the case and use the adjuster on the lever for small adjustments.