PDA

View Full Version : needle jet holder???

cals400ex
07-01-2003, 08:49 AM
i am not sure of the proper name for this piece, but i am talking about the piece that the main jet skrews into and the needle is held in place by it from the opposite side. it is adjustable and has a nut on it to hold it in place. does anyone know where this needs to be adjusted at? i know that sometimes when you remove the main jet, this piece comes out with it. thanks

JOEX
07-01-2003, 09:01 AM
I don't know of any adjustment but maybe this will help get some answers...

cals400ex
07-01-2003, 08:10 PM
well, thats the correct name. i was talking about the needle jet holder. this piece is adjustable and the locking nut holds it in place. i can give one hint though, i had this piece skrewed all the way in and i lost power up in the higher gears. i guess it was skrewed in too much and was not getting enough fuel. if you can picture this, with the needle jet holder skrewed all the way in, the main jet will not be as far down in the bowl. it made a pretty big difference too. i went one day from getting beat by my friends 400ex without the throttle cable even adjusted to beating him pretty easy the next day after i adjusted this piece so it would sit farther down in the bowl.

also, has anyone even changed the needle jet before?

also, whats the deal with their being a pilot and a slow jet? i thought they were the same thing. i know i have a 42(pilot or slow jet, whatever it is called). in this diagram, i changed the slow jet. can you even change the pilot jet? oh, boy there is more crap in there than i ever saw.

JOEX
07-01-2003, 08:33 PM
This does seem confusing and i'm definatly no expert at this.

From what I understand what is shown in the diagram as the pilot jet (#24) is actually the fuel or air screw (I can't remember which)
And what is called the slow jet (#26) is usually called the pilot jet.

Joe

cals400ex
07-02-2003, 06:24 AM
oh, i think you may be right. i bet that is the fuel skrew. however, i still don't know what the deal is with that needle jet holder. thanks for the help though.

Greg Z
11-04-2003, 09:59 PM
what number is the air fuel mixture screw?

JOEX
11-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
This does seem confusing and i'm definatly no expert at this.

From what I understand what is shown in the diagram as the pilot jet (#24) is actually the fuel or air screw (I can't remember which)
And what is called the slow jet (#26) is usually called the pilot jet.

Joe
:)

cals400ex
11-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
oh, i think you may be right. i bet that is the fuel skrew. however, i still don't know what the deal is with that needle jet holder. thanks for the help though.

#24 is what we refer to as the fuel skrew. it is a bronze skrew on the very bottom of the carb that is tough to get to unless you have the carb. i think it is easiest seen from the right side of the bike when looking for it with the carb on the bike. you use a flatblade skrewdriver to adjust it.

Greg Z
11-05-2003, 01:28 PM
so the air fuel mixture screw is number 24?

cals400ex
11-05-2003, 03:22 PM
correct.

WickedRider
03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
i took apart teh carb on my 250 this past weekend. when i ot it off the bike & unscrewed the 3 screws holding the carb together i was expecting crap to fall out & go everywhere, nothing fell out & i was suprised to only see a few things in there.& its easy because the stuff on the inside would only go back together on way. now i cant wait to get my hmf to i can rejet.

cals400ex
03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
yeah, not too much crap can fall out.

by the way, this post is an old one. :eek2:

JOEX
03-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
yeah, not too much crap can fall out.

by the way, this post is an old one. :eek2:
Yea it is:p