PDA

View Full Version : Too rich, too lean, too ???

hardtime
01-13-2002, 07:01 PM
Need some help.

My 2000 400EX has been getting hard to start lately. I would have to pull the plug and clean it before it would start. I'd replace it but after a few days, same thing. The plug comes out wet and black so does that mean too rich? How do I correct that? In laymens terms please. :D

dirtclog
01-13-2002, 07:47 PM
to rich

...you didn't give enough info, is the quad stock?

buy a new plug and gap it correctly to start with.

hardtime
01-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Stock as it could be. I have bought more plugs and gapped them and that hasn't helped yet. Thanks for the reply.

MOFO
01-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Are you using your choke when you start the quad? When you pull the plug, is it after you attempt to start it with the choke on? Remember, when you use the choke, that cuts off air to the cylinder but keeps the same amount of gas. This will give you a false reading. The only way to get a good plug reading is to get the quad running at normal temp with the choke off....then start checking your circuits in the carb. This is the only way to get an accurate plug reading.

Eric

01-14-2002, 10:44 AM
I have to recommend not using the choke at ALL...pump the gas about 4 times and hit the starter,,,I found that the choke on a 400ex is a high tech,,latest greatest,,top of the line,,plug fouler. Never EVER use mine,,you could also go up 1 sixe on your pilot jet to fix the cold start issue,,leave the choke alone. It's 30 degrees here and I still don't use my choke..

Scott
01-14-2002, 11:09 AM
I think people might be over-diagnosing the problem. If you're trying to start the quad and then pulling the plug when it doesn't start and the plug is wet, you flooded it.

If you're flooding it, don't hit the gas the next time you try to start it and see if that helps. If it still floods, I'd check for dirt in the carb, specifically dirt in the seat of the needle or pilot that's preventing the floats from shuting off the gas when the bowl is full.

hardtime
01-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys!

I haven't used the choke any lately and no problems.

HaRdTiMe