PDA

View Full Version : Carb Selection

08-09-2001, 08:56 PM
I want to get the eldebrock carb for a 400ex. I think they call it the "qwiksilver" or somethin. Does anyone run one of these? Han any problems? Is it wirth the cash?

Thanx A LOT

08-10-2001, 06:33 AM
I also had considered the Quicksilver, but after a great deal of research I opted to buy the Keihin FCR and am very pleased with the results. Although I have no personal experience with the Edelbrock carb, I would highly recommend spending a little extra cash and going for the proven FCR. Search this forum, as well as the old for good information on both. Also check www.sparksracing.com for more info on the FCR. Or check www.edelbrock.com for more info on the Quicksilver.

I believe it was Gabe who said in a previous post that the FCR is the carb of choice on almost all new high-tech 4 stroke motors such as the yz400, yz426, cr450f, among others. If Honda doesn't let me down, I'm dying to see them introduce a 450EX this fall with an FCR from the factory.

Hope this helps!
Bumpy

08-10-2001, 04:57 PM
Thanks Bumby.

But i have one more question i think i read that the FCR requires modification to the air box in order to attach it. Is that true? And im getting a K&N power kit with the jets but if i get the FCR will the jets be useless?

TDBRPH
08-10-2001, 05:13 PM
I may be wrong but I think you have it backwards the FCR requires no modification to install but the edelbrock does! Check out the review on atvconfusion otherwise know as atvconnection I think they discuss what needs to be done to install the edelbrock!

Later,

Triston

08-11-2001, 08:57 PM
Rest assured the FCR is a direct bolt in replacement - absolutely no fitting modifications whatsoever. You will however need a different throttle cable. Most places selling the carb for the 400EX include the new cable. The FCR uses the same style main jets as the stock carb, so you will be able to use the Dynojet jets that come with the K&N power kit. In either carb, the Dynojet kit requires you to install the 'Jet Adapter' so you can use the Dynojet jets which are a different style.

Hope this helps!!
Let us all know how it works out!
Bumpy