PDA

View Full Version : cannondales

ex kid
06-30-2003, 03:18 PM
for my next quad i'd like to get a dale. just a canninbal and i'd put a pipe and map it and probably a few other things. does anyone have any good mods for a dale? and what year should i look for? i really like them beacsue there feul injection and alomost race ready. there a trick bike. how do the do power wise against raptors and preds?

bradley300
06-30-2003, 03:43 PM
dead even in a drag against a pred w/ the pure polaris exhaust (blaze map on the dale) really, you dont need any motor work, the other usual stuff is out like shocks from all the big companies and houser and LSR make a-arms.

look for late 02 and 03 models only. nothing older.

Derno24
06-30-2003, 04:28 PM
They never made anything older than an 02 Cannibal...If you are going to get one a map and a pipe is a good start. I would look into an aftermarket suspension down the road. This really makes the bike fly. I own one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

RIDER11X
06-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by ex kid
for my next quad i'd like to get a dale. just a canninbal and i'd put a pipe and map it and probably a few other things. does anyone have any good mods for a dale? and what year should i look for? i really like them beacsue there feul injection and alomost race ready. there a trick bike. how do the do power wise against raptors and preds?

Why? The YZF450 is here and the Honda is rumored to be coming in September. I'm not a Yamaha fan, But that would be in the garage long before a Dale that OEM parts are not being produced for. :huh Not flaming dales, just everything with them seems so uncertain right now. JMO:cool:

Derno24
07-01-2003, 02:25 AM
That is a valid question why? For the reason that the Yamaha is $6,999 and you can get a new cannibal for less than $4,000. Power is there and you still have money left over. Parts aren't a problem you just have to know where to look. Just go to Cannondaleriders and Haydug has all the parts necessary to keep your machine running or go to Cannondaler and Maz is another guy keeping a good parts supply. They are also getting new parts made for them too. I am not worried about getting parts. They still make parts for alot of machines that no longer exsist.

bradley300
07-01-2003, 03:01 AM
dont buy any cannondale older than a late 02.

i also doubt the yfz and elusive new honda are much different in performance, being as the all probable have the same front end geometry. they are all right around the same cc, but the dale has efi which i would think helps.

the new yammi still has a normal frame which i doubt is as strong as the dales aluminum.

www.cdaleparts.com should have all the parts you need

danyeo
07-02-2003, 02:50 AM
These guys have some mods for the Dales. But don't their HP #'s seem low for the stock model, maybe because it's at the tire and not at the crank.

http://www.southbaymoto.com/html/pages/cannondale_parts.htm

RIDER11X
07-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
dont buy any cannondale older than a late 02.

the new yammi still has a normal frame which i doubt is as strong as the dales aluminum.

www.cdaleparts.com should have all the parts you need

Not flaming Dales', but that is the reason that I didn't buy a dale is because of their frame is the oil tank in their dry sump design. If that frame does fail (break) you will possibly lose oil and not know it until it is too late. Quad frames are known to break, and repairing a frame and motor would be rough.
Honda was smart in using a tank to hold the oil.:cool:

danyeo
07-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Those frames on the Dales are very tough and i still have yet to see one person report a broken frame on any of the boards, i still do see your point though. The 2 main things are getting the updates done and just keeping up with the maintenance. The motor mount update is 30 bucks and takes 10 minutes, I am getting my stud-update done probably this coming Winter. The new Yamaha does look good though!

Dale512
07-02-2003, 05:14 AM
I see your point about the oil tank, but I have never seen the top spars of a frame break, its not like its circulated in the front shock mounts or anything that is prone to break, also IMHO the Dale frame is probably the strongest ATV Frame ever built OEM or Aftermarket, except for that Ti-Frame, but I'm still not too sure it may be too brittle to do anything but Drag & TT.

PS. I have only heard of one C-dale Frame crack, and it wasnt the actual frame it was the Engine Cradle, but even then it seemed to be under suspicious circumstances. IE: I beleive this kid was lying about every thing, he was talking about it on a different forum, but I think he was on this forum as Sleeping Catfish.

RIDER11X
07-02-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Dale512
I see your point about the oil tank, but I have never seen the top spars of a frame breakPS. I have only heard of one C-dale Frame crack, and it wasnt the actual frame it was the Engine Cradle, but even then it seemed to be under suspicious circumstances. IE: I beleive this kid was lying about every thing, he was talking about it on a different forum, but I think he was on this forum as Sleeping Catfish.

I didn't know that oil was only in the top frame spars. And, most frames seem to give ay either the shockmounts of low near the pegs. So that may be possible, however John Natalie told me that he couldn't break one so I doubt most average riders could.:uhoh: :)

Derno24
07-02-2003, 05:49 AM
You guys are killing me. The frame on the cannondale is one of the toughest sob's I have ever met. From personal experience: I have smacked a tree stump that was hidden in high grass at about 30-40 mph. Frame came out without a scratch. I had to replace the bumper. Hit a tree going down hill about the same speed with the same results. These frames were designed really well. The only issue I saw was with mx guys. The rear swingarm bushing gets oblonged with big air. we are talking about top riders hitting 90' every weekend. There is a fix for this, but if that is the only problem you have bigger issue than that with every other machine out there. Try any this with the other newer machines and I would have bought 2 frames by now.

Southbay's numbers are at the wheels. They aren't trying to inflaet numbers just trying to be realistic. Alot of companies out there are claiming massive gains for small things, but they aren't true. If you really want to have a serious dale discussion call Dustin from Southbay and he will tell you everything you want to know.

Back to the Dale Danyeo is right just maintain it and you will have no problems. By the way a late 02 or early model 02 doesn't matter there are some people out there that will tell you the early 02 model was the one to get. The one's with the cable clutches have had less reported problems than the others.

roostin_dale
07-03-2003, 04:50 AM
I agree with everything Derno just said!! Cannondales are some of the best quads EVER produced!! In about 10-15 years they will be just like the 250R and still racin!!