PDA

View Full Version : Practicing whoops

400grl
06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
OK - I need to step it up a notch in my class, and my biggest weakness at this point is whoop sections. I suck at whoops. I have to be reeaaaaaally fast everywhere else to make up the time I lose on those little *******s......

So - what is the best way to practice doubling whoops at the track without killing myself? How can I tell which whoops are even doublable (ablbablabllable):D lol! Seriously though - I don't have any land where I can build a couple and practice and then add more - I'm stuck with what I have at my local tracks.

I don't want to break any bones, but I need to step it up.......there has to be a way to do this without hurting myself! :)

trx400ex
06-30-2003, 05:00 PM
There is really only one way. If you want to double them and think it is possible then you probably can. JUst hit them as fast as you would, if its not fast enough you will clip your backend on one and it will kick you. Im not going to gurantee saftey, but you probably wont get hurt too bad if you do wreck. Just use your head and alot of times i question my own judgement, but then i make myself do something and it turns out you do it perfect the first time like you know exactly how fast to go....hard to explain, just trust yourself and hit them faster, let your bike level out at first then after that let the front end drop and you will have it mastered

You will be surprised how the stuff you suck at turns out to be the stuff your best at after a while..

micah
07-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Can good or pro quad riders do the peaked whoops like dirtbikes where they skim over the top just hitting the peaks?

I have only seen them double them and not float on top of them.

QuadRacer041
07-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
OK - I need to step it up a notch in my class, and my biggest weakness at this point is whoop sections. I suck at whoops. I have to be reeaaaaaally fast everywhere else to make up the time I lose on those little *******s......

So - what is the best way to practice doubling whoops at the track without killing myself? How can I tell which whoops are even doublable (ablbablabllable):D lol! Seriously though - I don't have any land where I can build a couple and practice and then add more - I'm stuck with what I have at my local tracks.

I don't want to break any bones, but I need to step it up.......there has to be a way to do this without hurting myself! :)

this is how i learned and it worked very well for me....
start to double the last set first and work your way backwards, roll through all of them and when you get to the last set then double it, once you got that one down move back a set and then double that one then the last one, and keep work back, that way I THINK you get a feel and know what to expect when the next one in line comes up.
like i said i worked awsome for me and i can go through whoops pretty good, maybe not the fastest but i can double through them all as opposed to rollong them.
but it all takes practice and patience(sp?).

good luck and let me know how you make out.

at the left of this pic is our whoop section and i can double through all these whoops no problem

F0URZER0ZER0
07-01-2003, 01:53 PM
at this one track i couldnt do it either but i followed some1 through...thats how i learned....at a different track i did what quad041 said and did it backward (last set first)

400grl
07-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Dayum! Those whoops are great! :) Yeah - I am going to start practicing it last set first, I think. That way if I screw up I don't do it in the face of 10 other whoops! :)

Thank you so much for your help everyone - I'll post back here when I'm a whoop expert! :)

proquad_20
07-02-2003, 05:08 AM
That looks more like a rythm section to me,, but still looks fun !

infantry317
07-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by micah
Can good or pro quad riders do the peaked whoops like dirtbikes where they skim over the top just hitting the peaks?

I have only seen them double them and not float on top of them.

I've seen Daryl Rath skim em on his Pred before at a local race, I'm sure Cody A. did too (can't remember, but Cody won on his 265), it was cool.

I just hit the throttle lean back and go like h3ll :devil:

proquad_20
07-02-2003, 05:53 AM
ive seen a certain pro i know skim woops that i wouldnt take a kayak across lol:D

400exBro
07-02-2003, 06:04 AM
to skim across the whoops you have to hold it wot, and lean way back so your front end doesn't hit the other side of the whoop... but they are spaced far apart just do what Lou said...

here is Jasmin Plante flying over the whoops at gopher dunes...

400exBro
07-02-2003, 06:10 AM
also check out www.douggust.com he has a whole bunch of tips in there like whoops and taking jumps...

ledofthezep
07-02-2003, 06:19 AM
I just hit the throttle lean back and go like h3ll

Works for me!:rolleyes: I personally love haul'n arse over woops...:devil:

QuadTrix6
07-02-2003, 06:37 AM
practice practice practice :macho

07-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Depends on the size of the whoops also..

Some of them you can hang over the back end and hammer down.. Try that on big whoops and I promise you that you'll be joining the over the handybars club.

All whooops very,,,,if they are big,,double thru them,, if they're small enough,,hammer down,, and sometimes you migh have to do both.. I know I hate whoops...:mad:

400grl
07-02-2003, 06:45 AM
OK - what about long whoop sections that are squared off, deep and inconsistent? We have a track here up at Verde Valley that has the nastiest whoop section I have seen......I think there might be a few whoops you can double, but they are spaced apart all different and literally squared off at the bottom and very deep - close together.....the bike guys can hammer over the top of them for the most part, but geez.....ALL the quads have a hard time with those.....any ideas for how to go through them except how I do.....slow! :) Just curious how the pros would handle a section like this.....

07-02-2003, 06:49 AM
F it...go around the mofo's....:tired:

400grl
07-02-2003, 06:50 AM
LOL!!!!! That's legal as long as I don't pass anyone - right? :) LOL!

wilkin250r
07-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Being a girl, you're probably lighter than they guys, so it will be easier for you to skim over the tops, so long as you can hold on. Maybe strengthen your arms by doing pushups. It may make it a little easier to muscle the quad around, and to hold on if you make a small mistake.

400grl
07-02-2003, 10:45 AM
mMMMMmmm-good point! I have little tires up front though and +3 a-arms with no damper...do you think that is going to be something that will go against me? Or do you think it won't make any difference?

Razorback
07-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
mMMMMmmm-good point! I have little tires up front though and +3 a-arms with no damper...do you think that is going to be something that will go against me? Or do you think it won't make any difference?

Hit the first part really, really fast and jump everything :D I also like Rico's idea ;)

QuadJunkies
07-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Depends on the size of the whoops also..

Some of them you can hang over the back end and hammer down.. Try that on big whoops and I promise you that you'll be joining the over the handybars club.

All whooops very,,,,if they are big,,double thru them,, if they're small enough,,hammer down,, and sometimes you migh have to do both.. I know I hate whoops...:mad: I hate whoops too.......:grr: and talk about kill your hands!!!I dunno about all of you, but too many whoops and Im swelling up:( Troy even had a heck of a time with the whoops but then again he was on mine stock suspention too:o ...... I asked a friend about a dampener ans he said once you get used to it, you will love it and wonder how you lived w/o it........Good luck 400grl!!