PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it??

400exbiggun
06-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey, i really want to get a raptor, but i guess i will take a z for a lil. But until then, i want to make the ex something to ride. But my question is that i ride tons of trails, and hillclimbs. I really want better throttle response, or more power off the line. I don't really want too much topend, not a rip your arm amount of power, yet.
But anyway, will a hotcams fit my needs. It has to be reliable, and good low-mid power, with some topend effects. I don't want to mess with the reliability too much, caus i know the most reliable way is stock. i want the power to pull through mud, snow, get up better hill climbs, and mostly smoke my friends off the line.:D :cool:
so really will a cam work.?
i don't want to even touch the piston, or anything else, so can i just pop the cam in and go?
if so, what brand... hotcams? what stage, 1or 2??:confused:

crap-banshee32
06-30-2003, 01:26 PM
dont, its a yamaha

400exbiggun
06-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
dont, its a yamaha
don't what?...Get the raptor???
i was talking about the cam for the ex...

methyman
06-30-2003, 01:38 PM
All you need to do is a higher compression piston with cam and mild port job and it will do a great deal more power to the old ex. I built my 416 with 10.8-1 JE piston with TC racing GNCC Cam with mild head porting and it rips. The cam with help with more power of course but a higher compression piston with compliment the cam.

400exbiggun
06-30-2003, 01:42 PM
yeah, but see, i still have to get a car soon, so i cant dump $3000 into this like i did the blaster (i will NEVER do that again)

how much did all that run ya?
i gota check with my friend, his dad built his race bikes, maybe i can toss a couple hundred $$$ his way, since he get discounts on all his parts ....hehehe:D

j37
06-30-2003, 04:15 PM
In my 400ex i have a 416 piston and hot cam stage 2 cam. I noticed alot of mid - top end power. I like the power of it now and I still have a stock pipe and silencer but im getting a used Duncan Racing Double Barrel complete system very soon so I should notice a pretty good difference hopefully.

400exbiggun
07-01-2003, 12:05 AM
but are these mods good on the trail, not just the track??

YZROOSTINYA
07-01-2003, 01:13 AM
i run a 416 on the trails and i love it.

looks like your wanting a stage 1 cam.

If you dont want to touch the piston throw in a XR head gasket and get a hot cam stage 1. also remove your choke and throw in a 42 pilot.

cam iis like 115 plus 15 for the gasket 10 for a new pilot and main jet.

remove the core out of your stock air filter and plug the hole in the end. put som eholes in your lid and add a slip on.
this should make your quad a bit peppier.

otherwise get you cylinder bore and throw in a je 10.8:1.

my cam was 145(cheaper now)
piston/rings 150 (cheaper now)
boring was 55
jetting and k&n was another 50

porting was 175

Made a HUGE differance in power.

You dont need the porting but it makes it revvier.

YZROOSTINYA
07-01-2003, 01:15 AM
I build 416's for $175 if your interested. I live 45 north of philly

Did steve-0 400ex's and his buddies.

have it done in a couple days

400exbiggun
07-01-2003, 11:26 AM
wo wo wo wo, i was just thinking of you then on my ride home......i saw in another post that you said you built 416's, and was wondering who it was....guess i found ya...i am not really up to date on my prices, but what does the $175 consist of? Do i have to supply the piston also???