PDA

View Full Version : Attention All Gncc Racers

gncc35
06-30-2003, 02:12 AM
I need your help. It was always my understanding that if during a race a rider was to catch up with you very quickly and stick right with you, and is obviously faster, you should let them by. Maybe if they are in the same class and if it is towards the end of the race, or possibly the whole last lap, or the beginning of the race where you are all bunched up and there is no place to go anyway, or if you make a little mistake and someone catches you but you pull right back away from them, then i can see not letting them by. The situation I was in, it was the first lap everyone had thinned out and was working my way through the pack when I came up on a rider that was obviously running slower at the time. We was in the tight stuff and there was no safe place to make the pass without risking taking both of us out. There was no one in front of him in sight so I patiently waited for him to find an easy place to get out of the way, but he was not budging. So i began to yell, still no result. I need all of your opinions !!!!!!! Should of this rider got the heck out of the way, or was he right by not budging? What would you do in that situation?

needaride
06-30-2003, 02:24 AM
I am not a racer, but i have several friends that race, and i used to race MTN bikes, wher eyou run into the same problem. To my understanding it is proper race etiquette for the slower rider to let you by no matter what lap. Especially if you were yelling.

Sounds to me as if he should have pulled over at the first wide spot.

Kudos to you for not pushing the issue and taking yourself and the slower rider out.

ZRacer
06-30-2003, 02:39 AM
You will find a racer at every race that will not budge no matter what lap it is. Most racers will move over if they know you aren't in their class right away, but others won't. I just constantly yell at them and constantly search for a line to pass. I eventually get on their nerves or pass them on another line.

I had 3 guys this weekend that slowed me down for a couple miles because they wouldn't move and did not want to let me by and even tried to block me. I just had to wait to be aggresive when I could get by without wrecking both of us.

400exmom
06-30-2003, 02:43 AM
i would just yell at them then 1st chance ya get go around him not alot of options i suppose ya could go kick his a** after the race:D

bradley300
06-30-2003, 03:05 AM
i give them a healthy love tap on thier grab bar if yelling dosnt work

Pappy
06-30-2003, 03:12 AM
a slower rider should never intentionaly slow a faster rider...regardless of the class. ive been on both sides of this and usually when someone wants around me i pull over and if i cant i signal to them that i will move as soon as theres a spot. in this picture the rider on teh R was so in the 300ex's arse that the kid couldnt get off the track. i watched him ram him about 20 times thru a very very tight section.....the 300 literally didnt have room to get off the track at the point i was watching them. id like to see the issue addressed tho....lappers need to move and if they are intentionally blocking they should be called on it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=634829

BUCK442
06-30-2003, 04:04 AM
99 % of the time most people will move especially if you catch up to them from outta sight and give them a shout. But it's the 1% that are brain dead and think that they are Bill B that just wont move. I had this problem at the wisp. I had a flat about 2 miles after start and I was letting people by left and right till I got to the pits. But when I caught back up to those same people almost no one would move. I was following 4 strokes behind a pack of 2 smokes just cruizing I yelled at 4 st guy to try and get him to yell at the trail riders in front of him, he looked at me like I was stupid. Finally I get around them all and they were gone. Please Move slower riders!

gncc35
06-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Thanks for all your replys. I think most of you feel the same as I on this situation. As for the rider who I am referring to in my post,(I won't point out a name but I know you will read this and you know who you are) that you got what you deserved when you ended up stuck in the biggest mud hole at the wisp.

465Stroker
06-30-2003, 05:05 AM
I know were your comming from with the same thing happening just about every race for a little. I usually find that comming up fast and revving your quad is the best solution besides yelling. So what kind of quad was he riding?

quadman21
06-30-2003, 05:14 AM
Oooooh, I like this post. I too have been on both sides and some riders just make my skin crawl:grr: The riders I hate are the ones in your own class who yell at you on the first lap. Fortunealty, I don't have to deal with that nowadays BUT I still see it in other classes. In this case I don't at all feel as if he should move because they are racing against on another at that point. This is refered to as "sucker passing". On the other hand I also don't believe ramming is proper racing edicate. Our quads cost money and the kid in front of you might be scared as heck and just can't get out of the way at that time. So give him the benifit of the doubt. I was rammed once a few years ago and to this day I still want to kick his arse. I look at it like this. to me is only respect to move over when a faster rider comes up on you. I will allways motion to a rider that i will let him by. Most of the time I will point on which side i intend on letting him by. In return, when I have to yell at a rider, I will always yell "thank you" as I pass them to show the curtosy. I was once a slower rider at one time as we all have been.;)

gncc35
06-30-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by quadman21
Oooooh, I like this post. I too have been on both sides and some riders just make my skin crawl:grr: The riders I hate are the ones in your own class who yell at you on the first lap. Fortunealty, I don't have to deal with that nowadays BUT I still see it in other classes. In this case I don't at all feel as if he should move because they are racing against on another at that point. This is refered to as "sucker passing". On the other hand I also don't believe ramming is proper racing edicate. Our quads cost money and the kid in front of you might be scared as heck and just can't get out of the way at that time. So give him the benifit of the doubt. I was rammed once a few years ago and to this day I still want to kick his arse. I look at it like this. to me is only respect to move over when a faster rider comes up on you. I will allways motion to a rider that i will let him by. Most of the time I will point on which side i intend on letting him by. In return, when I have to yell at a rider, I will always yell "thank you" as I pass them to show the curtosy. I was once a slower rider at one time as we all have been.;) I understand on the start of the first lap when there is a line of bikes to where if when you let them by there is no where for them to go, but I am talking about when it is only you and him and no one in sight, front or back, and you have followed them for at least 10 minutes not leaving their bumper the whole time. Most of us are not really racing for the class title, Yes that would be great but I think the majority of us are trying for a good overall and national number for the end of the year, because this compares your ability to all the racers, including the top pros. This is also why there is always an argument as to which A class should start first. So when every second counts for overall position it kills you when someone doesn't let you by.

quadman21
06-30-2003, 06:13 AM
This is a good subject but the issue is a double edged sword. Unless your a beginner, I think all of us have experienced both sides of this at one time or another. I will always let a faster rider by if they come up on me quickly but I will not let a fellow class rider by if I can help it. Even if it's only us on the trail at the time. If I have no wrecks or mechanical trouble I never get lapped. I believe racing for an overall finish is fine but I also race against my class. That's is another whole thread but there are certain situaitions where you let someone pass vs. when you don't. To your exact situation you mentioned; two riders alone in the woods and one is faster; than I completely agree that he or she should let you by. It's only proper race edicate. Let me through another question out there, How do you tell who is who when you have a mud race like forida?

toby400ex
06-30-2003, 07:50 AM
if you dont have a big intimidating buper get one, i usually get out of those peoples way. i think i need one of them

TJL
06-30-2003, 09:32 AM
yeah that sucks. i always let people by when they catch me....if their not in my class. but if your in my class no matter what lap you have to earn your way by me

gncc571
06-30-2003, 09:41 AM
I don't think it matters if thier in your class or not, if they are faster, you should pull over.I don't think you should pull over as soon as someone yells at you, but you know when they are faster, if they stay right on your arse and keep yelling for 10 or 15 minutes, let them bye.Yes sometimes it might back fire on you and you end up riding his arse,but if they have any sense they will realize you are the faster one and let you go.
The ones I hate are the lappers that pull over for the guy in front of you and look right at you and pull out in front of you and won't get out of the way. :mad:

QuadRacer041
06-30-2003, 09:42 AM
i havent done many xc races but i think its just common sense, if someone is noticiable faster(yelleing....up your *****...or reving his engine) you should move over and let them by. i try to move over as soon as i i find enough room for him to go around me.

i have a question though.......a few of you guys said that if they were in the same class you may not let them by or make the fight there way around you....if they are behind you how do you know what class they are in???????:confused:

gncc571
06-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by TJL
yeah that sucks. i always let people by when they catch me....if their not in my class. but if your in my class no matter what lap you have to earn your way by me

But what if its like he said,you yell and follow on his ***** for 10 or 15 minutes and they won't get out of the way.I think that most people would realize that the person behind them is faster.But I guess there are some people that just want be a idiot and hold someone up.Just my 2 cents.:confused2

ex kid
06-30-2003, 09:58 AM
i know most of you guys posting race nationals. i only race harescrambles for now ,but id like to comment anyway. i think he should have moved right away. at the jack frost harescramble there was a little punk ona predator in front of me. low and behold on the 4th lap chris borich and mike krachen come by to lap me and the kid on the pred that was in front of me and woudnt move. chirs and mike were stuck behind him for about 2 miles revving their bikes to the rev limitter and yelling all kinds of stuff. finally chris pretty much ran him over. then of course i got stuck behind him and after another mile found a better line and smoked him. heres another one from the same race. on the last lap about 5 mintutes after mike and chris came by i had gotten around the leader of my class and was in 1st with like 4 miles to go and open A racer mike lucas comes up on us. i turned around saw hima nd yelled to the other kid in my calss that we better pull over so i pull over right away and the kid in my class passes me with lucas still behind him screaming for him to move then moves a minite later. it cost me the win to be the nice guy. after the race i was like what should i have done?

popo
06-30-2003, 11:52 PM
I am too dahm busy getting stuck to get in the way:huh.

gncc35
07-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by TJL
yeah that sucks. i always let people by when they catch me....if their not in my class. but if your in my class no matter what lap you have to earn your way by me Does "earn your way by me" mean, do whatever it takes???

07-01-2003, 07:09 AM
So how are you guys finding out the guy behind you is in or not in your class????:confused:

I'm concentrating on trees more than turning around and looking to see what color sticky he has on his helmet. If the person is behind me and is faster then I move over no matter what class he's in. And if the person in front of me stays in my way after lots of yelling...A good shove outa the way normally gets the point across...

ON a MX track my views are alot different....your gonna earn your way around me but during a 30+ mile race in the woods..who gives a chit if a faster guy is behind you and you have to get out of his way...:ermm:

quadman21
07-01-2003, 07:38 AM
If your a true woods racer you'll have a "feel" if that person behind you is in your class or not. An example wood be that the flag has dropped, your 3rd in the woods and your chasing second. you don't hear anyone behind you for 3 laps than all of a sudden someone comes up quick. Chances are it's someone form another class or your being lapped by a pro. This is only a hypothetical situation. A sure way is if your racing a four stroke class and you hear a two stroke behind you than he's most likely not in your class. It's all racing and you'll get to understand and get a feel for things. here's what happened to me a few years back. A pro come up on my and was yelling. So I immediately start looking for someplace to get out of the way. I even motioned that I acknowledged him. He cursed and than rammed me going down a hill. I really had no where to get out of the way at the time and I was honestly trying. I did not forget his number nor his name. What goes around comes around. I eventually got to an open area and he passed and through a few choice words out. This behavior I will not tolerate. Sometimes you just cannot get out of the way right away.

dirtriderex
07-01-2003, 01:40 PM
The guy might be new, my first xc I would not let anyone by. LOL But from reading your posts every race i'm at I let the real fast guy by. It's only the right thing to do unless your a:cuss: . I just hate it when you get stuck and people yell, it's like go around or wait!!! Believe me I don't wanna be stuck:grr:

rowlrag
07-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Yell at me to get by only upsets me:mad: You gotta sneak up on em and have a loud pipe. If your on a 4st and a 2st comes up behind you can't hear it. Last when lappers let me by, though I don't have much trouble but when I do everyone wants to hold me up, anyway DON"T yell, ask Yokely how it helped him, yell thanks at them. Only my 2cents

popo
07-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Yell at me to get by only upsets me:mad:

Your just an old grump!

Meek
07-01-2003, 09:19 PM
The ones I hate are the lappers that pull over for the guy in front of you and look right at you and pull out in front of you and won't get out of the way. Or they t-bone you right into a tree.

07-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Yell at me to get by only upsets me:mad: You gotta sneak up on em and have a loud pipe. If your on a 4st and a 2st comes up behind you can't hear it. Last when lappers let me by, though I don't have much trouble but when I do everyone wants to hold me up, anyway DON"T yell, ask Yokely how it helped him, yell thanks at them. Only my 2cents

Grouch azzzzz :mad:

cdalejef
07-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TJL
yeah that sucks. i always let people by when they catch me....if their not in my class. but if your in my class no matter what lap you have to earn your way by me YOU NEVER LET ME BY!!!:mad:

J/K:blah:

400exmom
07-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
YOU NEVER LET ME BY!!!:mad:

J/K:blah: he-he