PDA

View Full Version : trade 400 for new yfz450?

Martin Blair
06-29-2003, 03:44 PM
what you all think that yamaha looks pretty damn sweet if my dad will agree to it me and him got in this huge argument on sport bikes hes one of those di hrd honda guys and cant see past that that hoda is starting to get outdated

250x#93
06-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm the complete opposite my dad is yama this yama that, and I'm like no god damn it I want honda and nuttin else period:devil: Some of us just have better morals;) U should really listen to ur dad:D

flyin#5
06-29-2003, 04:13 PM
if it were me id wait on honda

crazybuffalo
06-29-2003, 04:13 PM
he11 yeah. jk i dont know if i would yet. i think i would wait for a few weeks until we can hear about its performance.

06-29-2003, 04:14 PM
i wouldnt do it, wait an dsee if honda comes out with something, the yfz looks like a detuned wr 450f motor in a raptor frame with some new features

Nausty
06-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
what you all think that yamaha looks pretty damn sweet if my dad will agree to it me and him got in this huge argument on sport bikes hes one of those di hrd honda guys and cant see past that that hoda is starting to get outdated

Have you even ridden one? The 400ex isn't outdated as you think! Its just a little bit better all around imo. I still have a stock bore and width 400ex and I still don't think i'm pushing it to its limits. I do pretty good with it too against all these new age quads that are supposedly wayy better than the out dated 400ex.

Just keep in mind a new quad isn't gonna make up for bad riding skills...

Still even if you were gonna go with it, it wouldn't hurt to wait a while for prices to go down and see how they hold up reliability wise.

Martin Blair
06-29-2003, 04:59 PM
i know its 90% rider and the bike only give you the edge but my dad dont let me modifie the 400 at all only thing i can do is a pipe and filter he yells at me if i even metion getting shocks.

I dunno about waiting for honda the yzf is hell of alot better then a raptor it is a true race ready bike so i could put a filter and pipe on it and me and my dad would argu about shocks and motor mods. Yamaha put alot into that bike honda might come out with a better one but the yzf motors are better imo then the crf anyway, it revvs quicker and has been arround longer.

Nausty
06-29-2003, 05:03 PM
yeah your pry right about that. My dad didn't want to hear about it either until he asked me what the loud popping noise was every time I landed and then I started a thread on the internet posting a picture of me and everyone telling me I would do damage to my quad if I kept jumping it like that.

Still though if you get some good works shocks and mx tires you'll be set imo.

Martin Blair
06-29-2003, 05:21 PM
if i can get my dad to go for that i would also like a bigger carb for a bit more power.

06-29-2003, 05:28 PM
from what iv'e heard the 450 isnt what its all cracked up to be & def. not for that price...id wait untill sept. to see what honda comes out with (if anything :( ) & then make a decision....thats what im doing, if honda dopesnt come out with a new one in sept. I'm selling mine for a kfx700.

Martin Blair
06-29-2003, 05:32 PM
the honda will be more pricy then the yamaha, i wish all these damn companies would stop detuning the damn motors when they go from the dirtbike to the 4wheelr

JUSTINcredible
06-29-2003, 06:45 PM
to get the yfz to the yzf 450 specs all u have to do is add a pipe, remove the air box cover, increase the timing 1 notch, and put in a yzf cam... doesnt sound like it was de-tuned to much to me, and them bringing it down to 439cc's was probley for the best so it is still legal to race with out having to race open class

300exTJjeeper
06-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
from what iv'e heard the 450 isnt what its all cracked up to be & def. not for that price...id wait untill sept. to see what honda comes out with (if anything :( ) & then make a decision....thats what im doing, if honda dopesnt come out with a new one in sept. I'm selling mine for a kfx700.

So what have you heard about the new YZF 450 that it is not up to par???

I think for the price is pretty good. I mean people that do these conversions on there Honda to put YZ engines spend a hell alot more.

As for me I'm just waiting for the dealer to get them and maybe get a ride in or too.

But I like to get peoples thoughts on the quad. So what have you heard??

Nausty
06-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
So what have you heard about the new YZF 450 that it is not up to par???

I think for the price is pretty good. I mean people that do these conversions on there Honda to put YZ engines spend a hell alot more.

As for me I'm just waiting for the dealer to get them and maybe get a ride in or too.

But I like to get peoples thoughts on the quad. So what have you heard??

maybe not considering the chasis and about everything would be better. Even stock it could use a lot of work, tires, bead locks, exhaust, filter, cam, shocks, a-arms, rear end, stem, ect.

Striker49
06-30-2003, 10:12 AM
This is MHO...

Wait for a month or two. The 400ex will still hold its own out in the world right now so dont jump the gun on anything you're not certain on. So far I have heard no problems with the owners who are posting at YFZcentral and they really like the bike. Stock for stock it is somewhat limited, but the pipe is a big cause. The tip of the stock slip-on looks to be penny-sized :huh
On the other hand it appears to be an all around great quad. For factory shox, it has some of the best out there and the power-to-weight ratio is the industry leader at the moment.

Just sit back a while and see if any problems start to develop on the YFZ over the next couple of months with the reliabilty and durabilty overall, then make your decision.

BTW, I wouldnt hold my breath too long on Honda either. We all expect something to be released at the dealer show this fall but we all were expecting the same thing last year. :ermm:

Just my .02 cents. :)

06-30-2003, 12:22 PM
i love it when people say the 400ex doesnt have enough power and they want a newer and better quad when all they ahve done to their quad is a slip on a filter....i love my 416ex...it has more than enough power for any applications that i ride in...if you get suspension and a good set of tires...you will be a happy camper and wont want a new quad.....basicaly the people that buy first year productions quads are ginny pigs for the factory.....

400exrules
06-30-2003, 12:34 PM
NO NO NO, KEEP THE 400

all i hear about the yfz is that its not wut its so cracked up to be, its not as good as everyone thought

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
i love it when people say the 400ex doesnt have enough power and they want a newer and better quad when all they ahve done to their quad is a slip on a filter....i love my 416ex...it has more than enough power for any applications that i ride in...if you get suspension and a good set of tires...you will be a happy camper and wont want a new quad.....basicaly the people that buy first year productions quads are ginny pigs for the factory.....

:macho