PDA

View Full Version : what to buy?

Stevie-D
06-29-2003, 02:50 PM
im tryin to sell the 400ex. gettin kinda bored with it. im wondering what to buy with the $$$ i want a dirtbike, like a cr...something mx...not a trailbike...and i dont know jack about what bikes are good, etc...so fill me in!!!

Yellow2001400ex
06-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Get a CRF 450F bike. That is the best four stroke bike Honda makes.

CHAUNCY
06-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Do you want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. If you want a 4 I would go with a yzf450 or yz250f depending on your size. If you want a 2 stroke KTM is the way to go IMO:cool:

crazybuffalo
06-29-2003, 04:30 PM
go with a honda, you wont be disapointed

FourFiftyFour
06-29-2003, 10:17 PM
KTM all the way...as far as I know.. down here they are really startin to support their riders with big rigs and professional mechanics.... Id look into the KTM thumpers..... I am impressed with them.... Im not as impressed with the Honda bikes... well the two strokes.... their 450 is a pretty nice bike, but IMO their 2 strokes arent as great as Kawasaki's

250EXking
06-30-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
KTM all the way...as far as I know.. down here they are really startin to support their riders with big rigs and professional mechanics.... Id look into the KTM thumpers..... I am impressed with them.... Im not as impressed with the Honda bikes... well the two strokes.... their 450 is a pretty nice bike, but IMO their 2 strokes arent as great as Kawasaki's

KTM are the best bikes out there.

06-30-2003, 04:52 AM
^^^overuses im with stupid sign like a crackhead does crack^^

i like my cr250 and its stock and beats most others that are modded so i aint complainin, and my frame is awesome..

flyin#5
06-30-2003, 05:04 AM
go with a cr250 or a ktm for 2 strokers... then the 450's for 4's. ive heard they all rip!

bansheeguy77
06-30-2003, 05:11 AM
im looking into getting a bike soon too...after everything ive read theres not that big of a difference in them all. if you plan to race look and see who offers the best support...right now id say suzuki, ktm and kawasaki offer the best. yamaha's is good too.

FourFiftyFour
06-30-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
^^^overuses im with stupid sign like a crackhead does crack^^

i like my cr250 and its stock and beats most others that are modded so i aint complainin, and my frame is awesome..

Well I wasnt sayin all of the Hondas gave problems....not all the Honda bikes are bad, but down here we have A LOT of dirt bike racers...... a normal race has 300-500 people easy every weekend... and Ive noticed a lot of my friends having trouble with the Honda bikes.... at first the KTMs were a hassle b/c gettin parts but now you can find parts much easier..... the Suzukis are really nice this year (at least I know the 250s are) the Kawasakis are still good (125 and 250) and the KTMs are just awesome all the way.. since Im a four stroke person... I love watchin the guys on the KTM thumpers and everyone has given god reviews on them

CHAUNCY
06-30-2003, 05:46 AM
I know on the 2003 ktm 450's they had a problem with the bike clicking iinto nutrual while in gear. A guy was riding at a local track and went for a triple in third and on the lip it just clicked into nutrual. He got a consussion from that. Then the KTM mechanic fixed the bars and what ever else was bent and went for the jump and the same thing happened to him. They are great bikes but that was the only flaw that I know of on the 03 450's:ermm:

Stevie-D
06-30-2003, 10:06 AM
im thinkin a 250 s-stroke. i want to try out a 2-stroke. ive ridden my friends old yz250, and it was a blast. but i aint sure bout which brand. i aint too honda loyal, and would also go with kawi or yamaha. seems to me that the majority of racers around here are running kawasaki's

Chino
06-30-2003, 10:19 AM
You wouldnt' be dissapointed with a brand new rm or kx imo they all blow the cr outta the door when it comes down to it but i still like all of hondas bikes/quads....

Stevie-D
06-30-2003, 02:41 PM
i cant afford a new one. i want a bike for around 2 grand, then save the rest for a truck

hondafox440
06-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick

KTM is starting to support thier riders. FACTORY riders. Thier contingency program is crap. And their bikes are very nice engine wise, but the suspension is crud. And Kawasakis (03s are different, but he is looking for a used bikes) just plain suck. They are slow and unreliable and handle like a sea cow. According to the moto-tabloids the Hondas are slow, but that is a bunch of BS IMO. I have ridden my share of bikes, and the Hondas hit so damn hard. They are definitely not sluggish. Myabe lacking a little on the bottom end, but careful jetting and some new reeds fixes that right up. They pull forever too, like a 2 stroke should. And the suspension and handling of the Hondas is unmatched. The CRF is like the utimate bike. All the YZs I have ridden have such a short and torquey powerband, they get annoying to ride.

Any 125 or 250 will feel fast coming off a 400EX, so you are not going to be dissapointed. 00/01 was the best year (in many peoples opinions, not just mine) for the CRs. Pre- 2001 Suzukis suck, along with pre- 02 Kawis (except the 98 KX250, that was an amazing machine). The YZs are rider friendly, and real cheap to pick up. They are basically unchanged from 96-01.

EvilJester400EX
06-30-2003, 08:16 PM
If you want a good bike for mx, try and find a KTM. They come from the factory with a FMF pipe and silencer combo, Magura Hyrdaulic clutch, wave rotors, White Power shocks/forks, Magura bars, Excel Rims.... race ready from the factory pretty much.

If you're looking 4 stroke, go with the Honda CRF450.