PDA

View Full Version : Sneeky Pete NOS System

*FoX*KiD*
06-29-2003, 02:48 PM
hey does anyone know how to put a sneeky pete nos system on a 400ex

Can you have the nos injected into your air box jsut like the Boondockers Nitrous Kit?

wilkin250r
06-29-2003, 05:41 PM
You can do it into your airbox, but you will get better results the closer you get to the intake. I put mine in the little rubber boot ( the insulator) between the head intake and the manifold. This is the closest thing to direct injection.

The reason is that between the airbox, carb, and insulator, the nitrous will expand from liquid to gaseous form. If you inject it AFTER the carb, it will get into your cylinder while it is still in liquid form, and be much more effective.

Diedrich
06-29-2003, 05:57 PM
how much does that kit cost? i was looking at buyin a nos kit for my quad

4wheelboy
06-30-2003, 03:15 AM
bump:blah:

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 04:31 AM
I really wish I had some pictures for you guys of my installation. I started back before I got my 250r, and since then I've been putting all my time and money into my R. I think in the Fall I'll re-visit my nitrous quad as it needs a complete rebuild, and I'll write an article in the tech section, complete with pictures. Until then, just PM me with questions, or ask them on the message boards, I always respond to nitrous questions.

The nitrous kit I bought was from Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) which is a division of Holley (Holley carburetors) but you won't find the motorcycle kit on the website, you have to order the catalog.

The kit runs somewhere in the ballpark of $500 new, I got mine for $200 off ebay. They have kits for four stroke and two stroke, and for personal watercraft. In all reality, the kits are all the same, it's just a nitrous bottle, two solenoids (one for nitrous, one for fuel) a relay, a nozzle, and hoses. The watercraft kits have a waterproof activation switch. The kit I bought was for a two-stroke watercraft, I put it on a four-stroke ATV.

thejeepdude
06-30-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I really wish I had some pictures for you guys of my installation.

So do I! :devil: There seems to be so little talk about nitrous on this board. I was toying with the idea of grabbing a NOS system off ebay as well, but having no experience with it, didn't want to get something that would just end up sittin on the shelf. Was the installation difficult? How does the fuel system connect to the NOS solenoid? Does it have its own fuel pump as well? Was it hard to dial-in? I am only really interested in it for those times when I'm at Sand Mountain and my poor little 400 gets bogged down towards the top of a 500' dune... thinking a little nitrous punch would keep me from having to use 1st gear as often. How does this stuff affect the engine temps? If used in small quanitites, I assume it's pretty safe... do you notice a big seat of the pants difference? Does it help more on the top or bottom end? Does it have a timer, so like when you hit the button it goes for x seconds, or does it stay on while you hold the button down? I'm thinkin this might be the cheap power I need until after I save $ for shocks and can spend more on the motor. I'd really love more details! :D

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Jeepdude, you're actually not too far from me, so I could help you with the installation if you needed it. My first nitrous test was out at Sand Mountain. I figured that sand is a little softer in case the quad jumps out of control and I fall off, I didn't know what to expect. As it turns out, my nitrous jetting was WAY too rich, so instead of a boost, it bogged and died.

I highly recommend getting a kit that has a fuel pump, they sell some kits that don't. The fuel pump adds about $80 to the price, if I'm not mistaken, and completely worth the extra money for consistency and reliability.

The nice thing about nitrous is that it is tuneable. You can get a 5hp increase, or a 20hp increase. You can set it for a timer, or a ramp-up, but the easiest installation is just a button, so it stays on as long as the button is held down. A manual will give you a basic start for jetting (which is usually rich) and you can tune it from there. It took me only about 4 trials to dial in my jetting.

I noticed a BIG seat of the pants difference. I have it on a little 250X, and I hit the button in third gear and nearly stood it up!

Nitrous helps most on at low RPMS. If you look at the engine and nitrous together, you can see why. Nitrous is fed into the engine at a constant rate. Let's pretend that rate is 2 lbs per minute. At 6000 RPMs, you get 2/6000 (or 0.0003 lbs) in each stroke. At 3000 RPMs, you get 2/3000 (or 0.0006 lbs) per stroke. More nitrous PER STROKE at lower RPMs means more power (duh).

I highly recommend (it seems I recommend a lot of things, doesn't it) doing a web search on nitrous and how it works, you will get some great background knowledge. I'll try to scan my NOS catalog and post it so people can read a bit up on it.

4wheelboy
06-30-2003, 05:56 AM
hmm sounds cool what did u type in for the search on ebay?

thejeepdude
06-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Wow, sounds like it'd be worth it for that extra boost in the sand. What kind of luck have you had with reliability? What parts of the engine is NOS stressing the most? I plan on doing a bore and piston eventually, so I wouldn't even care if I just ran the crap out of it and maybe screwed up the rings/piston/bore... however I don't like the idea of snapping a rod and destroying my whole case in the process. I have a basic understanding of how NOS works, I just am not familiar with how much our little 4-stokers can handle before reliability becomes an issue... ie: is the cheap power worth it, or am I going to spend big $$ on a new engine 6 months from now?

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 06:58 AM
It will stress the rings and rod, but I would imagine that you can get a 10hp boost without fear of breaking anything. If you think about it, the stock Honda rod will handle a high compression 440kit, which will give you over a 10HP increase, so a 10HP increase with NOS shouldn't be a problem.

I heard something interesting about nitrous and engine tempurature the other day, so I need to do a little bit of research on the subject.

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
hmm sounds cool what did u type in for the search on ebay?

I just did "nitrous" and sorted through all the listings. It's rare that you see a small kit on ebay, but occasionally one will pop up. Most car kits come with a 10lb bottle, so you can't use a car kit, you need a 1lb or 2lb bottle. I'd even say that a 5lb bottle is too big for a quad.

4wheelboy
06-30-2003, 08:25 AM
yay i found a sitehttp://www.magnumforceracing.com/nitrous_oxide_systems_motorcycles.asp#Fogger%20Nit rous%20Systems%20for%20Motorcycles%20and%20ATV's (nos.com)

mikeboone
06-30-2003, 09:10 AM
here is the Holley kit:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSPS/ATVFog.html

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 09:11 AM
You might be able to get away with something like thisTHIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2421171254) but only if you know what you are doing...

mikeboone
06-30-2003, 09:12 AM
**4 wheel boy--your link is the url to NOS communications not a nitrous system

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 09:12 AM
or THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2421289100)

06-30-2003, 09:18 AM
:o

Chef
06-30-2003, 09:23 AM
What would you recommend for my Banshee?

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 09:28 AM
It seems that NOS has upgraded their website to include the motorcycle nitrous kits.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NM/PS-NOSNS.html

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Chef
What would you recommend for my Banshee?

Chef, if I were you, I'd call NOS or Nitrous Express. The banshee is obviously a well-known quad. They sell a standard 2-stroke 2-cylinder nitrous kit that will fit, but they may have a few tricks and tips for the banshee that won't show up in a standard catalog. :devil:

Chef
06-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Chef, if I were you, I'd call NOS or Nitrous Express. The banshee is obviously a well-known quad. They sell a standard 2-stroke 2-cylinder nitrous kit that will fit, but they may have a few tricks and tips for the banshee that won't show up in a standard catalog. :devil:

:D I like the sound of tips and tricks for my Banshee for some reason...I actually got beat the other day by a Banshee with FMF's...and that cant happen anymore.

wilkin250r
06-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Indeed. Little things like plumbing, bottle and solenoid locations, things like that. The length of tubing from your solenoid to your nozzle can rob HP out of your system. The longer your tubing is, the more the nitrous will expand, reducing it's effectiveness.

northeast400
06-30-2003, 12:32 PM
any questions pm me I have built many a car and bike set up. I also work at a performance shop

northeast400
06-30-2003, 01:28 PM
fox kid empty your pm box it is full

northeast400
06-30-2003, 01:35 PM
I can not pm you the number until you delete messages from your pm it is full

wilkin250r
07-01-2003, 05:29 AM
Same here, clean your PM box.