PDA

View Full Version : Foam AirFilter?

DESDAK4
06-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Do you guys run the stock metal cage installed in your foam airfilters or an aftermarket thng of that sort? Or do you just not run one?

Thanks for all the help in advance I really need to know before I put this thing back in.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

yellow400rider
06-29-2003, 02:11 PM
when i ran the stock filter i also ran the metal thingy in it. now that i run a UNI i also run the metal thingy that came with it :D

hondafox440
06-29-2003, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't monkey with the stock setup unless you replace it. Put it back the way it came apart.

Evan400ex
06-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Get a K&N!

DESDAK4
06-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Ok I am not sure if my first question was clear. I have a WB foam airfilter and I want to know if you guys out there are running the metal thing in them. My WB did not come with one I was told to put the one from the stock filter in there. Does this sound right. I can't run a K&N, it does not fit in my CFM airbox ( I have the lid type).

Thanks again,
Jay
USAF
AMMO

Diedrich
06-29-2003, 06:05 PM
i would put it in there if they said too

White_Knuckles
06-29-2003, 06:22 PM
The stock mesh screen core is a flame arrestor (if it backfires through the carb) and holds the foam surround under vacuum so it doesn't collapse. Yeah, you need it.

Those aftermarket airboxes are often designed around the K&N.

UNI filters ship with an inner core with a lot more open mesh than stock for better flow.

DESDAK4
06-30-2003, 12:58 AM
That is the answer I was looking for, thanks. Now would you guys say the Uni flows allot better than the WB foam filter?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadTrix6
06-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
The stock mesh screen core is a flame arrestor (if it backfires through the carb)

what if u backfire with a UNI? Would it melt the foam? And how likely are u to backfire through the carb? Thanks

wheeltrax
06-30-2003, 03:15 PM
the uni and the WB filter probably flow about the same. I dont run the stock mesh thing in my filter. I have never heard anyone having it backfire and do harm that way.. i mean anythings possible..:rolleyes:

White_Knuckles
06-30-2003, 05:08 PM
It's not likely a flame will ever occur. Honda has used that heavy mesh stuff for years, might be a saftey standard the Feds demand. I liked UNI's more open wire core.

You wouldn't want a terrible airbox fire to ignite the seat and burn your arse would ya now?

The Feds saves us, butt again. :p

RIDER11X
06-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Also the metal insert serves to support the mouth of the air tract wher the filter clamps on to keep it from collapsing when the clamp is tightened. .......................like the reinforcing rings that Nac's sells for the 250r.:cool:

DESDAK4
07-01-2003, 01:05 AM
So I take it that the UNI just has a wire cage like setup rather than the full mesh like the stock filter? I guess since I can't get my K&N in my airbox I will just run the WB stock mesh setup until I can get a UNI. I just feel like all that mesh my be taking some of my power.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
07-01-2003, 01:23 AM
I run the stock filter WITHOUT the cage when it is dusty.

you dont need it

dont torque the piss out of the lip and youll be fine.

after 100 hours I have no probs

DESDAK4
07-01-2003, 01:26 AM
So if you don't run the cage then what do you do with the hole in the end of the filter where the cage goes?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YZROOSTINYA
07-01-2003, 01:31 AM
DUCK TAPE.

I was going to use a a bolt but I didnt want to run the risk of it vibrating loose and entering the carb.

I used the duck tape temporarily as I thought it would come off but after 6 months it is still hoding strong.

I use No-Toil filter oil, not petroleum products

DESDAK4
07-01-2003, 01:45 AM
I use the Bel Ray oil and I thought the same thing about a bolt so maybe I will try the Duct tape thing.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

RIDER11X
07-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
I just feel like all that mesh my be taking some of my power.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

You really can't exceed the filter's flow rate as easily as most people think.

Think of it this way, if you drill 6 one inch holes in your lid an are jetted for that, then you remove your lid all together, you will be running very lean and it would throw off your jetting considerably. So, considerably more air is entering the filter to cause it to go lean, so the filters flow capability was not maxed out. ;)

DESDAK4
07-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I got it figured out, I got my K&N in the box so I should be good to go.

Jay
USAF
AMMO