PDA

View Full Version : serious question please reply

brame2003
06-29-2003, 06:44 AM
okay i went to the dunes this weekend and my wheeler is new me and my dad changed the oil the day before to make sure it was good. we put the right amount in and everything. well i got home cleaned it up and put it up for the night when i went to go check the oil in the morning there was hardly any in the oil resvoir the place right in front of the engine. and maybe half of that did not have oil. the dip stick did not reach the oil either it was so low so i added some oil to its right level im runnin 20 50 by the way someone please help thanx

brame2003
06-29-2003, 06:45 AM
by the way its a 400ex

powerslider
06-29-2003, 07:11 AM
You have to check the oil after it's runs a couple minutes not after setting overnight. The oil will drain from the tank into the motor so you think it's low but it's not. It's probably overfull now that you added some.

brame2003
06-29-2003, 07:15 AM
well we let it run for a couple of minutes after we put new oil in then checked it this is the day before we rode. then we went ridin the next morning and day and when i got home i cleaned it off and put it up then the next morning there was hardly any oil in the tank the dip stick couldnt even touch it. it never did this before i put new oil in.

powerslider
06-29-2003, 07:18 AM
You have to check the oil right after you shut it off for a correct reading every time you check it, if it sits a while the oil moves from the tank into the motor until it's started up again and pumped back into the tank.

brame2003
06-29-2003, 07:28 AM
okay i think i see what ur sayin but i dont think it did that when i checked it before i changed the oil but do u think there is to much oil in it now and do u think something is wrong with it

powerslider
06-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Check it like I told you to then you'll know if it's over full or not, if it's not smoking out the exhaust there's probably nothing wrong with it. If you have the owners manual you would be wise to read it so you'll know your quad.

brame2003
06-29-2003, 07:43 AM
okay yea thanx it is over filled now and no there is no smoke and hasnt been any smoke thanx for all the help now i kno what will need to be done next time.

powerslider
06-29-2003, 07:48 AM
OK, good luck!!!

JOEX
06-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engiine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

wilkin250r
06-29-2003, 05:46 PM
I can't agree more with what everyone has said. When in doubt, consult your manual. If you buy a quad used, then buy a manual separately, ebay, dennis kirk, your local shop, there are numerous sources for owners manuals and repair manuals.