PDA

View Full Version : i rode th new yfz

dukeboy
06-28-2003, 09:16 AM
just got back from the yamaha shop with my buddy, we picked up his YFZ450. we took it to a friends track to test it out and see how good the power is. NOT IMPRESSED. however i was reading kory ellis' coments about it and he said after a pipe and jetting, along with removing the air box lid, it came to life. we'll see. the suspension needs some dialing in at the very least. the thing still feels like a raptor to me. has anyone in the mid west got one of these yet, because this little shop in Hubbard, Iowa was the first i've heard of.

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 09:17 AM
hmmmm this new yamaha sounds like its not all it talked up to be......

MOUSE
06-28-2003, 09:24 AM
jusy like a 400 the engine didnt impress me till i did some tweaking :devil:

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 09:25 AM
but i dont like the part that it handles like a raptor.

dukeboy
06-28-2003, 09:30 AM
there was a totally stock raptor out there and they feel similar to sit on except for the ultra hard seat on the yfz(which i like) but in stock form the raptor was out running it on the top end. the yfz revs very quick so i'm sure with some minor mods it will be fast as hell. i'll keep wait'in for the honda

Narly R
06-28-2003, 09:31 AM
MAN!! You guys get bikes before I get the magazine that tetes that bike!:mad: No fair will they even ship a new yamaha to Oregon? Prolly not...:(

MOUSE
06-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Sporttrax400ex
but i dont like the part that it handles like a raptor.

im not defending it but if its going to be on a track you more than likely will put on some wider a arms and axel and drop the ride height with some new shocks, i havent seen to many stock bikes that handled great off the floor.

dukeboy
06-28-2003, 09:35 AM
i think there is one for sale in oregon on ebay for like $8500 or something

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 09:35 AM
true..

MOUSE
06-28-2003, 09:36 AM
plus advance the timing alittle and youve got a yz spec motor just like the yzf, and ive rode one of them and even stock those jokers are fast as heck :eek2:

dukeboy
06-28-2003, 09:39 AM
mouse what have you rode the quad or the bike? i hope the quad can be as fast as the bike cuz the bike totally hauls

crap-banshee32
06-28-2003, 09:44 AM
:eek:

MOUSE
06-28-2003, 09:45 AM
im refering to the bike, and the motor is virtually identical just the timing is retarded and a slight dcrease in cc's but that is easily taken care of and like i said youve got a full blowan yz spec motor, but while your in it go ahead and raise the compresion and a port job and youve got yourself a a monster, a buddy of mine has a yz426 powered quad that has been bored and the compresion raised and that things haulz ***

cabex
06-28-2003, 10:39 AM
but you shouldnt need to do all this stuff to it.
arnt they calling it a race ready quad?
If its race ready youd think you wouldnt need to do anything to it

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 10:58 AM
thats wat i thought its purpose was to be race ready.

Wired
06-28-2003, 11:09 AM
just wait till your buddy gets a pipe, rejets and takes the airbox cover off you'll feel a night and day difference!

these arent exactly race ready. its just like a dirt bike... sure you can race them straight out of a box but you'd be crazy to show up to a race without the basic mods.

Ryan
06-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Jon, do you know if there is a better way to get more air flow without removing the airbox lid? If I bought one, I sure wouldn't wanna be entering a muddy cross country event with no air box lid.

Thanks.

Bud88
06-28-2003, 11:34 AM
i live in astoria oregon and some kid bought one down the road i havent riden it but he said it has lots of power it sounds like a street bike almost

batgeek
06-28-2003, 11:45 AM
ummmm...is that thing broke in yet?

i don't expect a fresh off the showroom floor bike to haul ***.

give it 10 hours...lets see what it can do after that.

Striker49
06-28-2003, 12:33 PM
First off break the sumbich in first, let it loosen the engine up a little and change the oil periodically for the first couple hours then see how it does.

Ive heard both sides of the story on the bike...that it sucks and that it hauls ***. Heck, if you put in the YZF cam, remove the airbox lid and put a pipe on it the motor is supposed to be as powerful as the YZF motor. :ermm:

Tell your buddy to drop by yfzcentral.com ;)

QuadJunkies
06-28-2003, 01:17 PM
We had a guy bring one out to the track today.Hes thinking of buying one, the dealer let him bring it out for us all to see.....

QuadJunkies
06-28-2003, 01:18 PM

QuadJunkies
06-28-2003, 01:18 PM

QuadJunkies
06-28-2003, 01:19 PM
////////

Jekyl_22
06-28-2003, 04:39 PM
He didn't say that it handled like a raptor, he said the suspension felt the same.

I bet that it handles better than a 400ex. It has a lower center of gravity, lower seat height, and it's wider. Sounds pretty good to me.

Plus, everywhere you read, it says that it isn't very powerful stock. But with light mods, it is suppossed to be very powerful. Kory Ellis took 3rd in the pro-production class with a slip on pipe and suspension mods against decked out Z440s and riders like Tim Farr and Doug Gust.

Doesn't sound like a crappy four-wheeler to me...:D

06-28-2003, 06:37 PM
looks crappy, sounds crappy:ermm: wr450 motor

Nausty
06-28-2003, 06:41 PM
i made a thread about it if you guys didn't know.

Narly R
06-29-2003, 06:41 AM
It looks the same as a Z from the back!:ermm:

kawiman273
06-29-2003, 07:04 AM
u should know narly r since thats all u ever see when u race z's lol
j/k

i think its gunna be a great quad but its not what i would call race ready, but it sounds like it wont take much work to make it race ready

Chef
06-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
MAN!! You guys get bikes before I get the magazine that tetes that bike!:mad: No fair will they even ship a new yamaha to Oregon? Prolly not...:(

Go to Florence Yamaha. I know they have atleast one blue one. A guy I race with just went and picked up about 4 from somewhere down in Portland.

06-29-2003, 07:21 AM
:o just another,,,,,,, NON- handling "YAMMI" POS! :devil:

kxrider
07-07-2003, 06:01 AM
i couldnt resist i went to the yamaha shop today to see, and they had one, man that thing is awsome, i would def. take it over any quad on teh market, the front shocks look like yz 85 rear shocks, they got rezzies. and very adjustable, and it is a wider and lower stance than the raptor, and it looks alot better in person, the owner of the shop, punk wouldnt let me ride, he said it has alot more torque, and bottom end than the raptor, and a new pipe, jets, filter, will get you at least 20 percent power gain, after that it is race ready the factory a-arms and stuff are fine i think it is def. worth a lil bit more money to spend if you plan on seriously racing:D pro rider barry hawk said the power is a 10 on scale of 1-10, and he said the back end doesnt kick up on buimps, like his 310r, he also said it is very close to his custom leagers quad, all this is quoted in atv sport

cody anderson
07-07-2003, 08:00 AM
i rode the yfz at the press release with kory, trust me this thing rocks with a pipe and taking off the air box lid!

Martin Blair
07-07-2003, 09:19 AM
shawnee cycle got one in i dont knwo fi they style ahve it down here south of kansas city i was going to buy one and trade in the 400 but after riding it i wasnt to impressed me and my dad thought it was goign to be awsome from waht dirtwheels said, its all hype im sticking with the 400 and modding it probably a 416 this winter. Honda wont ahve to do much to beat yamaha on this one.

forum
07-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by freeride132

some people don't know a damn thing. makes me laugh.

kxrider
07-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by forum

exactly man, didnt the yzf450 come from teh wr, and i think it anything but crappy, i think it is the only race ready quad off the showroom floor, the only quad you can competetivly race stock

Joecool1264
07-07-2003, 02:19 PM
The new yammie looks cool and sounds ok, but whats going to break first the tranny AKA crapter or the frame AKA KFX/LTZ??? Just my 2 scents. Did anyone else smell that or just me?

cjpoole1
07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Joecool1264
The new yammie looks cool and sounds ok, but whats going to break first the tranny AKA crapter or the frame AKA KFX/LTZ??? Just my 2 scents. Did anyone else smell that or just me?
The KFX/LTZ is Suzuki not Yamaha

trx400ex
07-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Some people are so stupid its pathetic....Just admit that the yamaha will beat your hondas without trying, i race a 400ex now and yes it is slow, i think yamaha like cannondale, gave people what they wanted, but noo... people have to complain about everything....most of the people that make fun of it and say it sucks probably just say it to make themselves feel better, thats what im doing untill i can get my hands on one

cjpoole1
07-07-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm not complaining, but only time will tell. I'll be sure and fill you in on any problems I find.:D

07-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by forum

yeah same here, in my opinion its another over priced pos from yamaha

the motor is a wr motor and they say its yzf based because it is but its even more detuned than the wr , i looked at one today and sat on it, its really comfortable and i like how narrow it is and the seating is the nicest of any quad out there, the controls are nice, the brake lever is awesome the motor looks awesome too , unless its gonan have the problems the wr 450fs have been having of shearing the flywheel key, the things i dont like is the frame, the pivot area is beeffed up but the front shock mounts dotn look any different from the raptor, the frame actually reminds me of a raptor , the subframe makes me nervous, the frame is still flat bottom, no kick up like the hondas, youd think yamaha would do something about this but well see once i ride one, the axle and wheels look like there off a warrior and just look junky i dont know how there gonan stand up, the front motor m ounts look junky as hell and there is no headstay, the front shocks arent all that great from what i hear either

for 7 grand you can get alot better quad, there are so many things on it that make me wonder, i definetly wouldnt buy one til theyve been out for a few years

but i dont know anything i guess:huh for xc racers this is gonna be a quad worth buying but from mx you can buy alot nicer quad for 9 grand i figure thats what youd have into it to make it competitive.........
its sad to say if i still had the cash in my hand and was gonna buy a quad it would still be a 400ex:ermm:

07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
i dont know i guess since handling and reliability are the most important to me is why i like 400exs still:confused2

250x#93
07-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Some reason it seems that everyone was so excited about this new quad, but then got very disappointed, My question is: WHATS NEW? when in a long time has yamaha actually come out wit somethin that was worth lookin at:confused: I new off of the bat that this quad would be worthless:cool: The raptor was obviously a disappointment and the warrior and blasturd both have bad reps, but the banshee is a hit in the dunes but there handling isn't the greatest;) So I don't get why everyone got so excited seems to me that it would have took a hell of a miracle to produce a new quad from yamaha that nocked ya off there feet:devil:

Just wait I guarantee that honda will knock ya off and spin ya around twice backwards, Heck thats what we all expect and also get from honda, Guys just have some faith;) :cool:

07-07-2003, 03:50 PM
some of u guys that hang off every pro riders last words need to take a step back and look, do u think yamaha is gonna have anyone come test it thats gonna tell the mags oh yeah the ****in shocks blow, the a arms suck, to be honest its way over priced and i dont like it.... yamaha pays barry hawk to ride for them so all nice things you have to wait til real riders get them before you knwo the truth

cjpoole1
07-07-2003, 04:04 PM
Actually it does have a headstay. I want get in the middle of the "Its better or not better" arguement. I bought one because I wanted a new quad and It feels real comfortable to me since I'm a small guy. If Honda comes out with a better quad than whats available now then I'll get one of those too:devil:

07-07-2003, 04:27 PM
:eek2: i didnt see that on the quad or on there site

dukeboy
07-07-2003, 04:34 PM
in my original post i wasn't impressed, we did the air box removal and the baffle and it does have some power, however why does the pipe get so damn hot? also the thing pulls forever with these mods. i can't wait til it has a pipe and proper jetting.

cjpoole1
07-07-2003, 04:39 PM
:eek2: i didnt see that on the quad or on there site
no problem, Theres also another motor mount on the bottom that is hard to see.

QuadJunkies
07-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Im gonna se one in action this wk end at the dunes.:cool: I hope I get a chance to ride it!:blah: just getting to look at one at the track was nothing but tease.....:p

cjpoole1
07-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Im gonna se one in action this wk end at the dunes.:cool: I hope I get a chance to ride it!:blah: just getting to look at one at the track was nothing but tease.....:p
Come to Tennessee and you can ride mine :p

QuadJunkies
07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by cjpoole1
Come to Tennessee and you can ride mine :p :eek: Ill be right over!!!.....:p ;)

trx400ex
07-07-2003, 05:23 PM
cjpoole- have you jumped with your new yfz yet? I am curious to see what its like compared to a 400ex or whatever you had before the yfz? DOes it feel alot lighter?

07-07-2003, 05:31 PM
i like it just not for the price, when your paying that much for the quad i just expect more, when i first saw it tho i was like:eek2:

Dune Surfer
07-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I raced a couple this weekend at Pismo. They are pretty fast but in the end my predator still out pulled them on the top end. The guys that had them didn't seem real happy with them, said they are rough. The one guy said he likes his raptor much better.
So hang onto your $$ guys it is just ok ( ok, way faster than a EX)

Flip)(stick
07-07-2003, 05:38 PM
It does seem pricy for how big and how it was built.

kxrider
07-08-2003, 03:44 AM
i think that anyone that says it is crap....ect. is just jelous becuase it is so much better than there quad, i mean for the price i think you are gettin a hell of a deal, but you wanna know a bad deal is 5600 for a 400ex, when it would be in your best intrest to get one of these for 6600, becuase it will take alot more than 1000-1300 to make a 400ex equal to one of these, suspensoin, ,power....., and as for them tuning the motor down, they put it down to 440cc so it woudl be race legal, but now they changed the rules so next year it is movin back up to 450, and the compression goin from 13.1 to 11.1 if they left it at 13.1 it would require race gas, and thats just overkill for a stock quad, but you can buy kits from yamaha to take it back up to 13, and the suspension, looks to be very adjustable, and feels pretty good just pushing it, but i didnt get to ride one yet so ......:D

07-08-2003, 05:32 AM
im not jealous of it at all and i wouldnt trade my quad for it, i think my quad is better setup than that is stock for 6800 , anyone who races mx knows thats not ready to go stock, bars, nerfs, wheels, tires, shocks, a arms, axle and your pushing 9-10k depending what you buy, to me thats not a deal, im sure you could find a aftermarket crf for the same price that will outperform it in everyway, i think the yfz is aimed a xc racers and its gonan be able to win out of the box in xc

motor isnt everything and it being a yamah makes me wonder how good it really handles,as for the 400exs id pay 5600 for one again

kx rider i take offense to your statements ,youve been quite angry at me lately for correctiong your statement about graphics and i know your mad, its obvious your targetting me, and even worse your wrong, your making a jackass out of yourself, you barely know anything about quads,pushing on the front suspension and seeing its adjustable says nothing at all , no doubt its a nice quad but not the wisest choice for building a mxer and the quality doesnt appear to be up there with honda

although a kawi rider might find the yamaha has outstanding fit and finish:eek:

kxrider
07-08-2003, 05:40 AM
im not jealous of it at all and i wouldnt trade my quad for it, i think my quad is better setup than that is stock for 6800 , anyone who races mx knows thats not ready to go stock, bars, nerfs, wheels, tires, shocks, a arms, axle and your pushing 9-10k depending what you buy, to me thats not a deal, im sure you could find a aftermarket crf for the same price that will outperform it in everyway, i think the yfz is aimed a xc racers and its gonan be able to win out of the box in xc

motor isnt everything and it being a yamah makes me wonder how good it really handles,as for the 400exs id pay 5600 for one again

kx rider i take offense to your statements ,youve been quite angry at me lately for correctiong your statement about graphics and i know your mad, its obvious your targetting me, and even worse your wrong, your making a jackass out of yourself, you barely know anything about quads,pushing on the front suspension and seeing its adjustable says nothing at all , no doubt its a nice quad but not the wisest choice for building a mxer and the quality doesnt appear to be up there with honda

well im sorry if you take offense, but it is not aimed directly at you, i am speakin to anyone who is close minded, and thinks that if it is not a honda it is no good, when in reality......... if i wanted to race quads, and i had enough money to get anyone i wanted, i would get the new yfz, becase it will take less money to get it race ready, nerfs, rear tires, and axle are the basics, bars, front tires, a arms and all that othre junk is not a nesesaty, becuae it is already very good stuff off the floor, how many quads come with suspenson like that, or stock compression that high.....?

o and freeride you said that i am makin my self look liek a jackass, when you are the one that says its another yammi pos, wat is it that makes it a pos, im just curious to see wat im over lookin is it the fact its not a honda or wat, just fill me in please

trx400ex
07-08-2003, 05:42 AM
ok alls i got to say is DONT GO OUT AND BUY A YAMAHA, then maybe ill be able to get one cheaper

07-08-2003, 05:50 AM
WE will be hearing something within the next 2 weeks on the new honda so hold your horses and your money....:eek:

From what I've heard from a respectable national racer that the new yamaha with airbox mods and silencer mods will run with a cannondale..:eek:

i know the motor is strong but i'm waitin to see how the chassis handles. We all know a Z400 frame is made of tinker toys...I seen a predator nose dive off of a 2 foot high jump and bashed the entire front end in like it was made of plastic....:ermm:

07-08-2003, 05:51 AM
the front shocks nausty or someone has said arent as good as works and works blow, i dont know around you but here and alot of other districts everyone rides totally worked quads with the best stuff, that quad isnt competitive unless your a super rider without the stuff i said, therefor its not a deal, wait til the hype dies down and, by looking at it you can tell its not as well built as a honda the quality just isnt there, i have nice things to say about it and if i raced xc id be down at the dealer buying one,
what you dont seem to understand is the parts out there now are really good and running those stock shocks is putting you at a disadvantage, thats the prob with mx, places like nacs, k and k arent there to help the racer there just tere to make money and if honda or yamaha did produce something good it would put them out of business or cut there sales and they dont wanna backoff and change the rules so that honda and others can release there new quads and have racers buy them and until the rules are diff its not worth honda and them getitng into mx racing, i dont know if thats confusing to you guys or what

excess
07-08-2003, 05:55 AM
Rico why do you say 2 weeks?

TheRedRebel17
07-08-2003, 06:00 AM

:scary: :mad: :grr:
Ok thats it :mad: :cuss: :grr:

kxrider
07-08-2003, 06:00 AM
so you say that we need to stop listing to wat the magazines say(the experts) their pro test riders, and take nausty's advice, i got nothin with nausty i think hes pretty cool, but i am goni to take the advice over the points leader in gncc, ,over him, barry hawk i think thats his name, said that the quad handled better than his custom leager quad, adn it didnt chase ruts liek his 310r, and lots of other good stuff, and you can race a stock quad, if you put james stewart on a stock kx125, adn put him in the same class he runs now i bet anythin he would still dominate, racing is just as much rider as it is quad,....... and i know the quad will be better modded out and everythin and it will cost more but yo dont have to do as much as you would another quad, or so it looks i cant say anything i havent gotten to ride it yet

Chef
07-08-2003, 06:03 AM
the front shocks nausty or someone has said arent as good as works and works blow,

Yea, Works Blow. Then you go look at what Honda sends stock on their quads. :rolleyes:

The front end has ZERO camber gain. Do any of you even know what camber gain is? Well, its bad, to say the least. Yes, the Godly 250R Chassis has camber gain, as well as the 400. The 400 has extreme camber gain throughout the wheel travel. Most people dont even notice because they dont ride the bike to its limits. Yea, Kory Ellis said this quad is sweet. Who cares what he said, I whipped his arse last September. I might know just how great this quad is by Saturday, I might get to race against one. It will probably come in dead last, unless another Predator shows up.

UglyMotha™
07-08-2003, 06:03 AM
your posts are becoming like the screeching of nails down a chalk board

07-08-2003, 06:04 AM
see what i mean you dont understand a damn thing, nausty has no reason to lie about it either does any other average rider, but barry hawk is being paid, just like kory ellis said his stock cannondale would tear his yzf 440 race quad to pieces and they were so awesome then he went to a z 400.......quads are nothing like bikes you just dont understand and you wont listen

07-08-2003, 06:06 AM
works do blow, i rode my cousins elka econos and there so much better, there is really no comparison i cant wait to try pep or axis

kxrider
07-08-2003, 06:11 AM
i understand everythin your tryin to say, but i dont know why you all dont even give a new quad a chance beacue its not a honda, you are all so close minded, if we were talkin about a new cfr450 ................... i dont understand how anyoen can dis somethin they have never even tryed, when yall ride one then i wont say a thing when you dis it or watever maybe when i ride one i will be dissin it to you never know im just sayin til then, just by statistics, and looks i think its pretty good, who knows wat i wil think if i ride one

lil400exman
07-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Yea, Works Blow. Then you go look at what Honda sends stock on their quads. :rolleyes:

The front end has ZERO camber gain. Do any of you even know what camber gain is? Well, its bad, to say the least. Yes, the Godly 250R Chassis has camber gain, as well as the 400. The 400 has extreme camber gain throughout the wheel travel. Most people dont even notice because they dont ride the bike to its limits. Yea, Kory Ellis said this quad is sweet. Who cares what he said, I whipped his arse last September. I might know just how great this quad is by Saturday, I might get to race against one. It will probably come in dead last, unless another Predator shows up.
chef the r's are great no?!?! learning how to handle the psi motor now?:devil:

lil400exman
07-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by kxrider
i understand everythin your tryin to say, but i dont know why you all dont even give a new quad a chance beacue its not a honda, you are all so close minded, if we were talkin about a new cfr450 ................... i dont understand how anyoen can dis somethin they have never even tryed, when yall ride one then i wont say a thing when you dis it or watever maybe when i ride one i will be dissin it to you never know im just sayin til then, just by statistics, and looks i think its pretty good, who knows wat i wil think if i ride one
hey kxrider u do know the last time barry hawk rode his leagers 310r was in sept'99? laegers and ct racing has changed alot of there parts again and he wasnt running a t-pin front end (see how many ruts that thing takes:eek:) so just ride a real quad wit balls not a 250ex no flaming but ride a real quad for awahile before you bash quads that arent even in ur class:blah:

kxrider
07-08-2003, 06:16 AM
hey chef you got any pics of your quad, my friend said he wants to make his 400ex just liek it???????

cjpoole1
07-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
cjpoole- have you jumped with your new yfz yet? I am curious to see what its like compared to a 400ex or whatever you had before the yfz? DOes it feel alot lighter?
I've only jumped it a few times. Its very predictable and manuverable. It lands a little hard for me with the factory setting on the shocks, but i only way 140. I'm going to try messing with the shocks this weekend and see how it handles jumps then.

07-08-2003, 07:19 AM
so you say that we need to stop listing to wat the magazines say(the experts) their pro test riders, and take nausty's advice, i got nothin with nausty i think hes pretty cool, but i am goni to take the advice over the points leader in gncc, ,over him, barry hawk i think thats his name, said that the quad handled better than his custom leager quad, adn it didnt chase ruts liek his 310r, and lots of other good stuff, and you can race a stock quad, if you put james stewart on a stock kx125, adn put him in the same class he runs now i bet anythin he would still dominate, racing is just as much rider as it is quad,....... and i know the quad will be better modded out and everythin and it will cost more but yo dont have to do as much as you would another quad, or so it looks i cant say anything i havent gotten to ride it yet

Well said for sure.

kxrider
07-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Well said for sure.

thank you very much, someone who understands my side of the arguement:D

trx400ex
07-08-2003, 08:00 AM
works shocks arent that bad, they would work good enough for 95% of us...i get beaten by guys with works shocks every weekend.... o yeah the new yamaha is the best production quad out since quads were born....except maybe the cannondale

edgerat
07-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, I have ridden all the quads that have been discussed on here thus-far. I can say this, the Predator is a HEAVY poor-shifting POS. The 400ex is a heavy, outdated POS that doesnt handle worth a damn either. The z400 while having its frame issues is FAR better than either of the two quads I just listed because it is lighter and more powerful where you can use it. The predator is a bit faster but not much. I have never ridden a cannondale so I cannot speak for them but from what I have heard they were very good but they are not being made anymore and as of this day NO ONE is interested in building them. The YFZ 450 is the best thing to happen to ATV's since the R. It is NOT race-ready out of the box and like all quads requires some massaging to bring out its best points for any discipline. It is however the FIRST BIG 4 manufacturer quad to be as close to race-ready as it is. Yam didnt puss out on the engine and put a tame-*** lame-*** engine in it, they did de-stroke it so you could race it in the 250 class. Sparks Racing has an exhaust for it(I ordered one and they said next week but I know the history with Sparks) that they say with the cam re-timing and some airbox mods they are making 47hp at the wheels on their Dynojet Dyno. That is a FAR cry from anything else that has been produced from one of the BIG4 is recent memory. Honda guys that are die-hard Honda guys cannot be persuaded but John Arens said it best when he said, "It's a great quad… maybe the best ever. This is like riding a blue Honda, and if you liked the 250R I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this one. I've always liked my "R" better than anything else and it's never leaving, but this new YFZ is a great quad to ride."(thanx to yfzcentral for the above quote from JA) That is pretty impressive in my opinion. He also said in an interview with John Pellan(founder of ********.com) that the best that Honda can do with their alleged "new" quad's engine is to break even with Yamaha not surpass it. So, face it Yamaha set the bar and Honda will have to roll out something absolutely incredible to surpass it and even if they did I will be out riding my YFZ450 and wont have time to stop to ride the "new" honda. And besides the last time Honda was coming out with a new exciting MIND-BLOWING quad they released the 400ex which at the time was the first sport quad in a decade but that same impish effort is not going to be enough this time.
Course that's just my opinion I could be wrong.
Isaac

kxrider
07-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by edgerat
Well, I have ridden all the quads that have been discussed on here thus-far. I can say this, the Predator is a HEAVY poor-shifting POS. The 400ex is a heavy, outdated POS that doesnt handle worth a damn either. The z400 while having its frame issues is FAR better than either of the two quads I just listed because it is lighter and more powerful where you can use it. The predator is a bit faster but not much. I have never ridden a cannondale so I cannot speak for them but from what I have heard they were very good but they are not being made anymore and as of this day NO ONE is interested in building them. The YFZ 450 is the best thing to happen to ATV's since the R. It is NOT race-ready out of the box and like all quads requires some massaging to bring out its best points for any discipline. It is however the FIRST BIG 4 manufacturer quad to be as close to race-ready as it is. Yam didnt puss out on the engine and put a tame-*** lame-*** engine in it, they did de-stroke it so you could race it in the 250 class. Sparks Racing has an exhaust for it(I ordered one and they said next week but I know the history with Sparks) that they say with the cam re-timing and some airbox mods they are making 47hp at the wheels on their Dynojet Dyno. That is a FAR cry from anything else that has been produced from one of the BIG4 is recent memory. Honda guys that are die-hard Honda guys cannot be persuaded but John Arens said it best when he said, "It's a great quad… maybe the best ever. This is like riding a blue Honda, and if you liked the 250R I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this one. I've always liked my "R" better than anything else and it's never leaving, but this new YFZ is a great quad to ride."(thanx to yfzcentral for the above quote from JA) That is pretty impressive in my opinion. He also said in an interview with John Pellan(founder of ********.com) that the best that Honda can do with their alleged "new" quad's engine is to break even with Yamaha not surpass it. So, face it Yamaha set the bar and Honda will have to roll out something absolutely incredible to surpass it and even if they did I will be out riding my YFZ450 and wont have time to stop to ride the "new" honda. And besides the last time Honda was coming out with a new exciting MIND-BLOWING quad they released the 400ex which at the time was the first sport quad in a decade but that same impish effort is not going to be enough this time.
Isaac

exactly, ,very very very well put

cjpoole1
07-08-2003, 11:26 AM
He also said in an interview with John Pellan(founder of ********.com) that the best that Honda can do with their alleged "new" quad's engine is to break even with Yamaha not surpass it. So, face it Yamaha set the bar and Honda will have to roll out something absolutely incredible to surpass it and even if they did I will be out riding my YFZ450 and wont have time to stop to ride the "new" honda.
Isaac

I hope thats how it ends up:devil:

Scottie Mac
07-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Edgerat,

What, an insightful, intelligent and factual post? Man, I haven't seen one of them around here in a LONG time. For everyone dissing the new Yamaha, I have a good idea for you. Go out, get yourself a new YFZ450 and slap on a set of Honda stickers, THEN it will be the most awesome end all quad you guys have been waiting for. Some of you actually believe half the crap you write.

I forgot this is www.15yearoldhondariders.com (I stole that from you, Edgerat)

Scott

goin2shock
07-08-2003, 05:50 PM
well i wouldnt say the 400ex was that bad when released it started the 4 stoke sport trend i guess and by all means the next honda will have to set a new level to sport ATVing if it doesnt it'll be a let down.....i'll hold my breath and hope hondas got a ace up its sleeve!
I hope it'll be worth the wait

edgerat
07-08-2003, 06:24 PM
I agree with you that the 400ex re-ignited the normal rider sport enthusiast in quads back in '98. But like you said the industry has come to a time when the bar has been raised as you said and I for one hope Honda can come through with an answer for the YFZ because that will mean more new racers out on the track and that is we are all hoping for.
Isaac

nakomis0
07-08-2003, 06:34 PM
I only read the first and 6th page of this post but, .... I think a fuel injected 440 w/ reverse would own the current atv market. but ya I think the YFZ is very bad arse and would love to own one. There still a few huge leaps the atv industry could make.

Nausty
07-08-2003, 06:45 PM

by any chance do you know who barry hawk is sponsored by? Honestly the only reason I wrote that review is because I figured you guys would want a honest opinion on what it was like. With out all the bs and specs that mags have which seem to be swayed and not very accurate. I guess i'm not really saying this too you but everyone in genral. I just thought you guys would want a unbiased review from a decent rider who you know isn't being payed off or anything else.

kxrider
07-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
by any chance do you know who barry hawk is sponsored by? Honestly the only reason I wrote that review is because I figured you guys would want a honest opinion on what it was like. With out all the bs and specs that mags have which seem to be swayed and not very accurate. I guess i'm not really saying this too you but everyone in genral. I just thought you guys would want a unbiased review from a decent rider who you know isn't being payed off or anything else.

nausty i am very glad u wrote about your experience, becuase you actually rode one and you speak from experience, so......
it is everyone else who says it sucks and they havent even rode it yet, but it if were a new honda they would be sayin exact opposite

07-09-2003, 04:10 AM
whoa the 400ex is a pos? i think of all the sport quads out there its the most durable no one seems to understand my pt which is

for mx for the same money you can build a quad twice as good....for now

they did tame the engine and not even the yzf 450 bike puts out 47 hp if you look at yamahas history they have fast motors crappy handling, honda has reliable good handling quads

wow u think the 400ex doesnt handle good? yamaha couldnt copy there handling either could suzuki, and i bet the new yamaha they looked at hondas more and thats why it handles better from what you guys are saying

everyone of you know when the new honda comes out it will be better

kxrider
07-09-2003, 05:07 AM

everyone of you know when the new honda comes out it will be better

ya im sure it will be better when it does...., and then suzuki willl release a even better oen, then yamaha willl release a even better one, then....... it is kinda like the computer bussiness, the best isnt best for long

Honda4trax250x
07-09-2003, 05:10 AM
ya im sure it will be better when it does...., and then suzuki willl release a even better oen, then yamaha willl release a even better one, then....... it is kinda like the computer bussiness, the best isnt best for long

i dunno bout that, a company can make a classic ( 250r ) remember it has been around for a really long time and is still dominating at the track

07-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
i dunno bout that, a company can make a classic ( 250r ) remember it has been around for a really long time and is still dominating at the track

07-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Isaac

I cant agree with all that, and your referring to this and that machine as a POS isnt helping any.

The 400ex wasnt only the first real sport quad in over a decade but is solely responsible for all the higer perf more tech machines you see now, so love it or hate at least respect it for what it is and what it has done.

The one big thing that really ticks me off is how much attention the new YFZ is getting when there have been better more race ready machines like the cannondale that were allmost ignored by the average racer to the point they went under. I often wonder if cannondale actually put too much into their machine, and we all just missed the boat.

Now we also have the GasGas that though not fully represented everyware in the US it is still looking more "race ready" and is deff more hi tech with the FI and chromolly frame etc. and from what I have heard from the people who have rode them its one hell of a quad.

Otherwise you had some valid points and I am the first to say that the YFZ looks excelent by the specs alone and I am sure we will be seeing them racing competitively, but I also dont believe it to be the best quad ever built.

One thing is for sure is that we are all the winners when the mfg's get into performance wars and I look forward to the better built faster and better handling machines in the future, and I credit the beginning to the 400ex and the complete total upping of the ante 100% to Cannondale.

Now one big question...... when are one of you guys going get one of the YFZ's (local to me) so I can test her out :D

cjpoole1
07-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
Your half way right, A bone stock 250r wouldn't dominate very much. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge R fan and my YFZ gives me the same rush as riding an R.

Flyin#3-1/2
07-09-2003, 07:26 AM
don't you have to break in the engine before you really feel the power?:confused:

trueblue450
07-09-2003, 07:37 AM
i still see hondas up front in all the mx races around here.... :eek2:

I sure as hell hope a liquid cooled 440 engine could beat a stock 400ex. now come on. once you bore a 400ex to a 440 im sure the power diff isnt that big of a diff.. but what do i know i own a 300 :ermm:

edgerat
07-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
I cant agree with all that, and your referring to this and that machine as a POS isnt helping any.

The 400ex wasnt only the first real sport quad in over a decade but is solely responsible for all the higer perf more tech machines you see now, so love it or hate at least respect it for what it is and what it has done.

The one big thing that really ticks me off is how much attention the new YFZ is getting when there have been better more race ready machines like the cannondale that were allmost ignored by the average racer to the point they went under. I often wonder if cannondale actually put too much into their machine, and we all just missed the boat.

Now we also have the GasGas that though not fully represented everyware in the US it is still looking more "race ready" and is deff more hi tech with the FI and chromolly frame etc. and from what I have heard from the people who have rode them its one hell of a quad.

Otherwise you had some valid points and I am the first to say that the YFZ looks excelent by the specs alone and I am sure we will be seeing them racing competitively, but I also dont believe it to be the best quad ever built.

One thing is for sure is that we are all the winners when the mfg's get into performance wars and I look forward to the better built faster and better handling machines in the future, and I credit the beginning to the 400ex and the complete total upping of the ante 100% to Cannondale.

Now one big question...... when are one of you guys going get one of the YFZ's (local to me) so I can test her out :D

I can agree that me calling the EX a POS isnt a constructive criticism on my part but rather my opinion of the quad. The point I have made on the YFZ is that a BIG bike factory finally stepped up and delivered what we have all been clammoring for. Cannondale tried but couldnt keep above water and Gas Gas has made a really bad *** quad but they are still a little too small for comfort for me. And to be honest how many cannondale hybrid or Gas Gas hybrid engines have you seen lately on the race circuit? That is the point I was trying to make they took what the TOP racers were doing and made it affordable.
Isaac

2001 trx400ex
07-09-2003, 06:34 PM
chef did you say you beat cory ellis on a mx track back in september

yellowrider
03-22-2004, 08:57 PM
lol

i had to bring this post back cause alot of people that didnt really seemed to like the yfz now has one... lol

whats your excuse and why did you get it?

trueblue450
03-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
i still see hondas up front in all the mx races around here.... :eek2:

I sure as hell hope a liquid cooled 440 engine could beat a stock 400ex. now come on. once you bore a 400ex to a 440 im sure the power diff isnt that big of a diff.. but what do i know i own a 300 :ermm:

yea i read this post and wanna kick myself in the nuts :eek2: :p

LostCause439
03-24-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Sporttrax400ex
hmmmm this new yamaha sounds like its not all it talked up to be......

I guess the honda must really suck *** than :confused:

thomez
03-24-2004, 07:35 AM

Yah this guy owns one now, funniest thing I read all day yesterday :macho

quadrcr87
03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
i see that all you yfz bashers now own them and whats the opinion now that honda released a quad that can only be considered equal

AlaskaSpeed
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
LMFAO!!!
I never bashed....thank goodness!.....

Chef
03-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 2001 trx400ex
chef did you say you beat cory ellis on a mx track back in september

It was TT...This is one old thread.:huh

WOracing19
03-30-2004, 08:12 AM
haha this is why i ride red:D