PDA

View Full Version : What does porting & polishing do?

440ex dragger
06-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I have always wondered and does it help?

nismo
06-28-2003, 08:50 AM
i want to know too. i know it has to do with increased flow

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 08:56 AM
porting most typically refers to the smoothing of burs and casting flash in the intake and exhaust ports, and the matching of the intake manifold ports to the head ports so that there is no obstruction to hinder air flow. This is the minimum that should be done, and is pretty much the cheapest portjob you can do for minimal money with great results.

Porting can also refer to the enlarging of ports as well. There are ideal intake to exhaust flow ratios that a knowledgable machinist will try to obtain if he has a flowbench that can measure air flow, and the mathmatics involved would also take into consideration the cams if the guy is really into it deep.

Polishing refers to the polishing of the EXHAUST, but you DO NOT polish intake because too high a polish on the intake will hender air/fuel atomization. Polishing of the combustion chamber is also sometimes done. The polishing of the exhaust not only improves the exhaust flow, but also helps reduce carbon buildup. The intakes will sometimes get a spiral hone, to actually aid in atomization, I have this done on my head

440ex dragger
06-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. How much does this usually cost?

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 09:28 AM
they cost different prices depends on who you get to do it im not really for sure on an exact price..

440ex dragger
06-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Do you know of any one who will do it at a reasonable price? Also what should my next mod be for Drag Racing?
Here is what i have so far:Full Sparks X-4
White Bros. 440 kit-10.8 compression
No Lid (airbox)
Lowering Kit
Holeshots on Stock Wheels
Advanced Timing (Contemplating
putting in)
K&N soon!!

And what is reccomended for jetting?

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 10:12 AM
k@n filter,aftermarket carb,clutch kit,rev limiter.

and take off everything you dont need to save wieight and by stuff thats llighter than you got on there now

Sporttrax400ex
06-28-2003, 10:17 AM
umm just call around all the big motor places and see who has the best price is what i would probably do i will get you a list of companies that do it,

Black400
06-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 440ex dragger
Do you know of any one who will do it at a reasonable price? Also what should my next mod be for Drag Racing?
Here is what i have so far:Full Sparks X-4
White Bros. 440 kit-10.8 compression
No Lid (airbox)
Lowering Kit
Holeshots on Stock Wheels
Advanced Timing (Contemplating
putting in)
K&N soon!!

And what is reccomended for jetting?

A aftermarket cam!!!!!

440ex dragger
06-29-2003, 12:13 PM
What kind of cam would be reccomended I know of white bros., & Web Cam and Hot Cam are there any others? I will have pics of my old piston up soon that i cracked and then it got severed from my rod with the rod beating the bottom of the piston and making all those chips go down in to my motor ended up spending 1600 to get it back and running.