PDA

View Full Version : you cheap piece of honda...take a look

300exazzkikr
06-28-2003, 12:22 AM
Well first off, it's a 1995 300ex and i was going to fix the chain since i have 13/36 gearing and I have it all the way adjusted so i was going to take a link out and put another master link in so it'll act like a half link so the chain will become tight. Well i was loosening the carrier all the way and it moved about half and inch and then SNAP! I'm like oh golly gee what was that look down and i cracked the axle carrier. There was so much dirt in it that it got caught and broke, I found out that i need new bearings too.
Trying to get the antifade nut off it took two pipe wrenches with 4ft pipes on them to loosen them up. It has been 8 years since the bearings have been changed so it's doing good.

heres my thoughts what do you guys think of the lonestar bearing carrier?

300exazzkikr
06-28-2003, 12:23 AM
here's a pic i don't know if you can see the crack but it's pretty big.

300exazzkikr
06-28-2003, 12:26 AM
I put a red line where the crack is.

CBW
06-28-2003, 03:30 AM
yeah shame on honda for making a quad that has parts that can only last 8 YEARS of abuse and neglect...........man you would think they would step up and provide you a better quad:huh

anyway all sarcasm aside........i have had the LSR carriers in all my stuff..........and have had good luck with them,,,,,,,,,,but then again they get greased and cleaned;)

PS: not flaming just saying........a little TLC goes along way:cool:

GT300
06-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Make sure you check your bearings because mine were so bad that they heated up and melted to my axle. Grease them. Make sure that the bearing carrier has a grease zerk.

Diedrich
06-28-2003, 04:57 AM
i broke the whole end off of my carrier when taking it out..i got a durablue..it looks to be a pretty good one

300exazzkikr
06-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by CBW
yeah shame on honda for making a quad that has parts that can only last 8 YEARS of abuse and neglect...........man you would think they would step up and provide you a better quad:huh

anyway all sarcasm aside........i have had the LSR carriers in all my stuff..........and have had good luck with them,,,,,,,,,,but then again they get greased and cleaned;)

PS: not flaming just saying........a little TLC goes along way:cool:

abuse and neglect, i don't think so, i take care of my stuff. thats why it's lasted 8 years. I was thinking about replacing my bearings last month but never got around to doing it and i'm doing it.:blah:

CBW
06-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
abuse and neglect, i don't think so, i take care of my stuff. thats why it's lasted 8 years. I was thinking about replacing my bearings last month but never got around to doing it and i'm doing it.:blah:

:ermm:,,,,,,i am just saying that a yearly inspection/cleaning may have saved you some cash:o

TheX1992
06-28-2003, 01:13 PM
dont feel bad. at least your carrier came out in under 5 pieces

Elmo on PCP
06-28-2003, 01:36 PM
mine broke in to 2 seprate peices, now i have a LSR one in there

300exazzkikr
06-28-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm gonna order up an LSR on monday. :D I feel better that mine came out in one piece instead of 5 lol.

Ex'r Marlin
06-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear that you are thinkg of an aftermarket axle carrier. Very wise decision... If you can afford it. Not only is the maintenance easier, but the aftermarket carrier is noticeably smoother with less resistance!

NOTE: You lost me on the "half a link" thought... Hopefully it works for you! Good luck! :)

4wheelboy
06-28-2003, 04:48 PM
how do u greese ur alex carrier?:confused:

Ex'r Marlin
06-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
how do u greese ur alex carrier?:confused:
Most, if not all aftermarket axle carriers have a "grease zerk". Some have the grease zerk located outside the swing arm where you can easily service your axle carrier bearings.:cool:

Note: Rad Manufacturing, to name one, has a grease zerk mounted outside the swing arm.:cool:

BTW... The stock axle carrier bearings do not get greased... The stock bearings are sealed bearings. Although they are maintenance free, they are known to fail.

300exazzkikr
06-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
Glad to hear that you are thinkg of an aftermarket axle carrier. Very wise decision... If you can afford it. Not only is the maintenance easier, but the aftermarket carrier is noticeably smoother with less resistance!

NOTE: You lost me on the "half a link" thought... Hopefully it works for you! Good luck! :)

I had the stock length chain on with 13/36. the stock gearing is 13/38. leaving too much slack in the chain. I tightened it all the way and it was still loose. I only needed to take a link out but when you take a link out of a chain your actually takeing out two. Makeing the chain too short. SO, you can't buy half a link, so i bought another master link and was going to put two master links in there to act as my half link. so that the chain would be of right size. Did that make sense??

crap-banshee32
06-29-2003, 02:40 PM
:eek: :huh

300XFST4602
06-30-2003, 03:36 AM

A Honda would of lasted 8 years anyway. :macho

phatswinn
06-30-2003, 07:41 AM
I had the stock length chain on with 13/36. the stock gearing is 13/38. leaving too much slack in the chain. I tightened it all the way and it was still loose. I only needed to take a link out but when you take a link out of a chain your actually takeing out two. Makeing the chain too short. SO, you can't buy half a link, so i bought another master link and was going to put two master links in there to act as my half link. so that the chain would be of right size. Did that make sense??

you need slack or ull kill ur bearings in bumpy stuff, when i adjust my chain i have my friend sit on the grab bar and then tighten it so it has allitle slack in it (about half an inch) and ive had my bearings in it for a couple years now without prollems

300exazzkikr
06-30-2003, 02:13 PM
yes you need slack, but i had about two-three inches of slack. Too much slack wears out the sprockets.