PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Throttle vs. Twist

K2Snow
06-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Does anyone use a twist throttle for a quad? If so, how much would it cost to convert to a twist throttle. Which do you like better?

Flip)(stick
06-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Personally I love the twist throttle, cause I used to ride dirt bikes alot. With a quad in the air I feel I have more control on the handle bars. A thumb throttle makes your thumb sore. Just my 2 cents:macho

user101
06-27-2003, 06:17 PM
i think they r about 20-30$. if u have never rode w/ a twist on a quad stay away from it. it sucked so bad to me. stick with the thumb unless ur used to dirtbikes

Narly R
06-27-2003, 06:18 PM
*no flame intended* Youll find a lot of info if you search this topic!;) Just tryin to help...:ermm:

K2Snow
06-27-2003, 06:22 PM
i searched thumb throttle and twist throttle and couldn't really find it, mostly just people complaining about a thumb throttle or wanting a new one

ktMan
06-28-2003, 02:51 AM
i cant stand twist throttle, my brothers banshee has and its suicide. t oturn corners it seems like your always hitting the throttle when you dont wanna, but hey if your used to it like some people are then it can be good, but you havnt used it before so i recommend you stick to the good ol' thumb throttle:devil:

bradley300
06-28-2003, 04:28 AM
this topic is pretty well split between the guys that used to ride dirtbikes and the guys that have only ridden a quad. neither is faster, its just what your comfortable with.

exrider123
06-28-2003, 06:26 AM
I found this about thumb vs. twist throttle on doug gusts website

· Twist Throttle vs. Thumb Throttle

Q: I'm a big fan of Doug's accomplishments, and of ATV racing. To keep it short my questions is about a twist throttle over a thumb throttle, which do you prefer? I have had some thumb issues with the racing I do at the local MX tracks. I really love the sport and I find the competition to be great. I really want to stay in the sport, but I might have to switch to twist. My buddy installed one on his Raptor and I tried it, it would take getting used to, but......... Do you know of anyone running the twist that runs in the Nationals besides John Natalia Jr.?

Thanks,
Andrew Stettler #33A Dist.6

Hi Andrew,

Doug uses a thumb throttle. He has no problem with it because he also races Snow Cross in the winter.
I, myself race the women's class and I complained about the thumb throttle. We put a CRF carb in my quad and I thought my thumb was going to fall off. Doug called up Tom Carlson from TC racing and Tom suggested to stretch the spring in the carb. It made all the difference in the world. I also ride with my thumb throttle further down which help a lot. Doug told me it could be dangerous running a twist throttle. Reason is, if you get out of control like through the whoops it would be very easy to gas it. Cornering could also be a problem if you went it too hot.
Other riders I know of running twist are Kory Ellis and Angela Moore. Most run a thumb throttle, though.

- Cindi Hart

06-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Thats really funny cause my two fav riders are John Natalie and Kory Ellis and i knew John rode twist but i didnt know ellis did...I just htough they always seemed to be really smooth riders..But yeah i was also thinking of getting a swist b/c im used to dirt bikes however it can be scary riding a twist on a quad easy to loose control if you dont know what you are doing.... But i though if you got like a 38mm carb and up or something you couldnt use a twist....Is this true???

Evan400ex
06-28-2003, 08:40 AM
I just installed a twist throttle onto my 400 and I love it. Might be because I have been riding dirtbikes forever. I don't think I will ever go back with the thumb throttle. When I buy my next quad the first thing I will do is buy a twist throttle!:D

K2Snow
06-28-2003, 08:43 AM
evan, how much? and how easy was install?

Evan400ex
06-28-2003, 08:52 AM
It cost about $34(I think) from rockymountainatv.com. It was pretty easy to install just took a little time. They give you step by step instructions so overall it is pretty simple to install.

4TraxRider
06-28-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm used to dirtbikes, so a twist feels more comfortable to me and I can ride faster, but i get a lot more arm pump than with a thumb. I decided beng able to finisha race was more important, so i chose thumb. Try one, for 20 bucks how could you go wrong, if you don't like it im sure one of your friends would buy it.