PDA

View Full Version : The best of the 2 stroke 250's

Ranchertype1
06-27-2003, 05:53 PM
My Honda Rancher 4x4 doesnt get ridden half as much as it used to since i got my Z400. I was thinking selling it and buying a 250cc class dirtbike (2 stroke). I am by all means a quad guy, but it seems like a dirtbike would be fun. They always get more air off the same jumps and best of all they are relatively cheap compared to quads. I dont know a thing about dirtbikes (aside from the obvious) but if i buy one, ill learn. All this leads to my question.......Which is the best 2 stroke 250cc class dirtbike. The yz's, cr's, rm's,kx's, etc all look the same to me lol. Only thing i noted was that the cr's have Al frames. Is there even a "best" one in the ones i listed, or do they all have their own areas where their good at? Thanks for any help........

Glow Plug
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
IT all depends on what you are planning of doing wiuth this sort of bike. IF you want you do fmx or freestyle then you want to go with a cr 250 or even a kx 250 because the kx's and the cr's are well slow in racing tearms but for fmx they reposed to mods very well ( suspension pipe etc) That you do not usually spend on a bike if you are racing. The cr's are also very easy to cut grab holes in.

But If you plan on racing they you want to go with a rm 250 or a yz250 the Yz is usually the most popular choice due to handling and power and weight of a stock bike :)

Flip)(stick
06-27-2003, 06:02 PM
Its your desion. There all the same bike, now racing it wont mater, its your skill level. Ricky carmical dominated on cr's and kx's, chad reed owned on rm's. Jeremy Mgrath owned on yamahs. Its just what you like personally. Personally I would go with the CR.

toby400ex
06-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug

But If you plan on racing they you want to go with a rm 250 or a yz250 the Yz is usually the most popular choice due to handling and power and weight of a stock bike :) Hmmmm.... that must be why ricky does so well on his cr 250:huh

Ranchertype1
06-28-2003, 04:49 PM
CR's are the only ones with aluminum frames right? Are all the motors similar powerwise. Are any powervalved? :confused:

exriderdude
06-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranchertype1
CR's are the only ones with aluminum frames right? Are all the motors similar powerwise. Are any powervalved? :confused:

yea, CR's are the only ones with aluminum frames.

yea, id say the motors are pretty much more or less the same in power:ermm:

yea, they are all powervalved;)

GO WITH THE CR DUDE!!!!!

Ranchertype1
06-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Yea, the aluminum frame is looking like a big plus on my list!

Is there any online dirtbike forums where i can get good information on all the bikes?

Also, are 125's and 250's the same except for having lots more power with the 250, and a little more weight?

THANKS! :D

Glow Plug
06-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Hmmmm.... that must be why ricky does so well on his cr 250:huh

If you go to a local track I bet you are gonig to see alot more yz's around because out of the box they are said to be the best. At the level ricky is racing at it;s more of a 95% rider 5% bike sort of situation :)

hessianmx111
06-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Hmmmm.... that must be why ricky does so well on his cr 250:huh
*correction* thats why ricky does so well on his one off works, priceless, damn near everything hand built cr:)

if your gonna buy new go for a yz450f or cr450f. but if ya buyin used or have to have a two stroke. the cr and yz are both good bikes in stock form. the 2002 hondas did have major air filter problems though so if ya get an 02 replace the filter with a pc racing unit. the yzs are very good bikes and do put out more power stock for stock than a cr but honda does handle great but so does the yz. so id go yz or cr whichever you can find for the best price

06-28-2003, 05:26 PM
the hondas usually are the best handling bikes, if your gonan go 2 stroke the cr is a pretty durable bike, and there motors last, id go with a crf 450 if i was you tho

Ranchertype1
06-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Ive ridden four strokes so much, that i want a 2 stroke for once. Yea, im buying used. It sounds like the Yz or Cr is the way to go. I want to clean my rancher up real nice, put it in the trader, then see what i can get for it.

You guys know any good forums where i can get some more info? Thanks

06-28-2003, 05:35 PM
trust me, if all youve ridden is 4 strokes your gonan have a really hard time getting comfortable on a 2 stroke, new laws are gonna make it harder and harder for 2 strokes the 4 stroke power in the crf isnt like a rancher

06-28-2003, 05:38 PM
go to the freestyle mtx forums www.freestylemtx.com

250x#93
06-28-2003, 05:46 PM
i want a ktm:devil: My friend had a husquavarna and that thing ran good and he said it was his favorite bike but there dealerships are far and wide between so he sold it:cool:

06-29-2003, 04:51 AM
on a bike the power is so close i look for handling and durability, like the cr 125 is the most durable and best handling 125 class bike well, the i suppose the new 4 strokes are more durable but you get my point , i see it this way if your gonan be good youll be good on any bike