PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat PRO's.... need some help

anywhereEx
06-27-2003, 12:29 PM
I have been looking at columbia coatings illusion colors here latley and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them at all. I plan on getting a harley frame done in illusion lapis over black chrome. My biggest question is how does it hold up and does it look as good as they say it does.

anywhereEx
06-27-2003, 12:31 PM
This is the chassis that it will be sprayed on. (frame, oil tank)

CBW
06-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Well i bet it looks every bit as good as they say it does......sorry i dont have first hand experiance with their illusion colors.......

But with a clear coat it will have max uv protection, appear very deep and rich in color,,,,,,,and be very glossy and durable;)

danney f
06-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I have shot some on mirror black, It gave it a blue tint and has green and I think purple flakes in it, if I remeber correctly. It holds up great. If I have time/remember tomorrow, I'll through some pics on to show what it actualy looks like.

anywhereEx
06-27-2003, 02:25 PM
I was hoping to see if anyone has shot it. I did not want to go and buy it and spend a fotrune if it is not worth a chit:ermm:

I was thinking the black chrome, lapis, and clear would have a nice deep look.

Pappy
06-29-2003, 02:22 AM
anywhereEX.....

the illusion colors are basically a clear powder with the prizm of choice pre mixed. they work extremely well over any "DARK" base powder. when used on a lighter color its not as noticable unless veiwed in direct sunlight.

the biggest problem with these powders is that they will show the illusion colors "cast" on top of the base color. chrome smoke tends to turn a bit greenish when illusion emerald is used......and lapis will give black a purplish cast to the part.

the only way to help prevent the cast on black is to apply a very thin layer of the illusion followed by a regular layer of clear.....a but tougher to do but seems to prevent most of the color shift.