PDA

View Full Version : Help fast!

sly400ex
06-27-2003, 07:20 AM
Man, I'm soooo close to having my R ready for this weekend after 6 mos. I got everything together, warmed it up to change the oil, putting the drain plug back in and cross threaded it!!!:mad: Now it's strippped out. Do you guys usually retap to the next size or what? Any tips? Thank!!!!;)

MIKE400EX
06-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Re-tap it and then pour some oil in and just let it run out - so that it will flush out any chips. Oversize plugs are available at autoparts stores if you need to go that route (try just chasing the existing thread with a std. tap first).

Scott-300ex
06-27-2003, 10:30 AM
what you REALLY need to do is when you thread the new tap in, put some grease on it, that way, the little metal shavings stick to it and don't get lost in your engine, but then procede to rinse it out with oil like MIKE400EX said

sorry to hear though man, if it doesn't feel right, don't tighten her

im sure you will be dayum sure not to do that again

sly400ex
06-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys! I ended taking it down the road to Harley shop! They're really cool there. That tapped it and put a new bolt in for $20. I know it's a little costly for a 5 minute job, but I was angry and didn't feel like messing with it! You bet, this will never happen again!!!!:confused2 :D