PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoat question.

suck my pipe
06-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Ok dumb question but dont laugh. What is the reason you cant just use a paint gun to apply powdercoat, or can you use a paint gun? I thought that would be a great way to save money on it cause then all you need is a oven but I know its gotta be more complicated then that. Papy you seam to know what your talkin about let's hear it. :devil:

06-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
Ok dumb question but dont laugh. What is the reason you cant just use a paint gun to apply powdercoat, or can you use a paint gun? I thought that would be a great way to save money on it cause then all you need is a oven but I know its gotta be more complicated then that. Papy you seam to know what your talkin about let's hear it. :devil:

Complicated :rolleyes:

Just order some equipment and supplies and keep at till you dont mess up a lot. seems to work :D

suck my pipe
06-26-2003, 08:57 PM
So dose that mean a paint sprayer dosent work, or it's just harder or sumthing? I think some of the sights that you buy powder of off have small sample's, and I was planning to get just a small sample and try it in a paint gun on some kind of small scrap meatle just to see if it would work so just let me know if it would be a waist of my time or not. :rolleyes: :huh I think it would be decent if it works lol

danney f
06-26-2003, 09:08 PM
The powder coating gun has a rod that runs through the middle of the gun. As the powder is fluffed with air and pushed out of the gun, it becomes "+"ed charged by the rod. the part that you are shooting has been grounded makeing it nutraul or "-" so the powder is drawn to the part and sticks.
If you were to use anything other than a gun made for powder coating, the powder would just go floating off in the air.
Big waste.

Pappy
06-27-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Complicated :rolleyes:

Just order some equipment and supplies and keep at till you dont mess up a lot. seems to work :D

your pretty much correct. its not that complicated at all and with the cost of the hobby guns its not that expensive to get into on a small type basis. its like anything else....patience and the willingness to learn.

i will have the equipment to start chroming early next week....so ill be starting the learning process all over again:p

06-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
your pretty much correct. its not that complicated at all and with the cost of the hobby guns its not that expensive to get into on a small type basis. its like anything else....patience and the willingness to learn.

i will have the equipment to start chroming early next week....so ill be starting the learning process all over again:p

Ooooonooooo your gonna be a chroming too now :)

I have an old GF that can test out how durable it is for ya :D

Dale512
06-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Pappy, I saw your quad up the Wisp today.......its one of the nicests quads I've ever seen.

Pappy
06-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
Pappy, I saw your quad up the Wisp today.......its one of the nicests quads I've ever seen.

you should have come over and said howdy:p