PDA

View Full Version : Dune Riding

K2Snow
06-26-2003, 11:45 AM
What kind of precautions need to be taken when riding out in the sand? Any important mods or maintenance when riding a quad in the dunes? I am not mechanically inclined in the least sense, so let's keep the explanations easy to understand. Thanks ;)

oldsandman
06-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Get a flag...check the dune shapes before you blast over them (do they have slip faces if so which direction are they). Have fun!

300exTJjeeper
06-26-2003, 03:04 PM
yes be careful of the razors back. Never approach the top of sand hill unless you know whats on the other side.
I take it you will be heading to Pismo or Glamis. Pismo aint to bad with razors but wacth out for glamis it will eat you alive
FLAG will be the most important also if you don't have paddles yet air down really low to help you out.

Get out there and have some fun

sweet300ex
06-26-2003, 03:38 PM
dont ride behind rails:eek:

JOEX
06-26-2003, 04:33 PM
What everyone else said.......plus....

Clean your quad very well afterward...

Saltwater+steel=rust..... pay special attention to the chain;)

Also, I change my oil and filter before and after a trip to the dunes. Riding in the sand can be very hard on the motor.

Joe

300exTJjeeper
06-26-2003, 06:20 PM
another note if your heading to pismo it is a good idea to wd 40 the whole quad I mean everything before and after Pismo. At glamis no wd 40

K2Snow
06-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
another note if your heading to pismo it is a good idea to wd 40 the whole quad I mean everything before and after Pismo. At glamis no wd 40

I heard just the opposite when riding in the sand. You don't want any sand sticking to your machine anywhere. Yes? No?

oldsandman
06-27-2003, 12:56 PM
I know people who do the wd 40 thing but I never have. I'm not saying it not a good idea but in my experiance if you clean your quad well as soon a you get home you'll be okay.

Chef
06-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by sweet300ex
dont ride behind rails:eek:

Or Banshees.:p :eek2:

310Rduner
06-28-2003, 02:48 PM
the banshees arent too bad at pismo.... got to watch out for people like me tho
:o :cool:

mainly your flag,

wd-40 any type of joints.. especially spindles anb the ball joint area of your a-arms.. guaranteed first thing to rust besides your header pipe.. happens to everyone dont worry too much about it.

watch for sand rails and other trucks.

watch the ruts going downhill on the dunes.. those hummer tracks Hurt like a MUTHA!!

dont speed too much on the beach.. you WILL get caught.. on tuesday ranger pulled me over for doing 30mph barely on the powerband in 3rd and not 15mph..:rolleyes:
i was very polite tho and he only gave me a warning

be careful not to get lost if you night ride.. if you must just follow the fence and you will hit the beach eventually.. :uhoh:

if you try the whoops too fast.. you will get bucked eventually lol.... :ermm:

and dont jump repeatedly on a dune unless you have someone spotting you at the top, not a chance worth taking..many people get hurt for not following that simple rule...

mostly the whole thing about dune riding is a little bit of caution goes along way.. you dont need to be freaked out worrying.. once you are out there riding it will all be natural and you wont even notice yourself doing half of that..:macho

Narly R
06-29-2003, 09:15 AM
WOW! 310Dunner summed it up!;)

300exTJjeeper
06-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
I heard just the opposite when riding in the sand. You don't want any sand sticking to your machine anywhere. Yes? No?

ONly use wd40 only for pismo like i posted early.

I would use it because Pismo is salt water heaven on quads.
Which would you rather be on a nice non rusted quad after a weekened of riding or a rusted up quad in 3 days because of the salt ate your quad up.

310Rduner
06-29-2003, 08:27 PM
WOW! 310Dunner summed it up!

Thank You... ;)