PDA

View Full Version : Can you get more power out of a Big Bore or Stroker?

cheetah
06-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Which would have more power. I'm assuming the stroker would have more reliability. So if you went to say 440ccs, would you see more power from just boring it or stroking it?

Sporttrax400ex
06-26-2003, 06:29 AM
hmhm im not to for sure on that one..

but im gonna say stroker...

06-26-2003, 06:40 AM
u will have more top end with the bored out cylinder but more torque with the stoker...meaning u will be able to go fast all the way up to the top of ur gear but u will have more power up top with the bored out cylinder

rippen400ex
06-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi i have a 440 kit and a WB cam but didnt instal it what else should i get so it runs its best and is reliable.

hondafox440
06-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Hondaracer - you're backwards. Generally speaking, with two engines of identical displacement and compression (and for argument's sake, the same intake, exhaust, carburation, etc.), the one with the longer stroke thus the smaller bore will have more top end horsepower, but less torque, and the larger bore and shorter stroke engine will have more torque and less top end horsepower. It has to do with surface area of the piston. If done correctly, the stroker/big bore motors should be of about equal reliability, but the top end on the big bore will wear out just a little faster than a stroker.

Martin Blair
06-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Hondaracer - you're backwards. Generally speaking, with two engines of identical displacement and compression (and for argument's sake, the same intake, exhaust, carburation, etc.), the one with the longer stroke thus the smaller bore will have more top end horsepower, but less torque, and the larger bore and shorter stroke engine will have more torque and less top end horsepower. It has to do with surface area of the piston. If done correctly, the stroker/big bore motors should be of about equal reliability, but the top end on the big bore will wear out just a little faster than a stroker.

strokers have more torque man

trx400ex
07-01-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
strokers have more torque man

Back up your statement pleassse.

shaneb
07-01-2003, 06:43 AM
hondafox440

you are the one that is wrong ...

sly400ex
07-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440

You are wrong! A larger stroke will provide more torque, while a shorter stroke will provide more quick revving motor/ top speed. Think about it, have you ever looked at what the stroke of a diesel motor is? Very long stroke (for the size of the motor) and they are TORQUE monsters, but they ARE NOT know to be high mph motors!

hondafox440
07-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Hmm, I could have sworn short stroke = torque, but I guess not. Learn somethin new every day. Now I have to go talk to pops for giving me false information :scary: .. lol

oregonrider89
07-02-2003, 08:54 AM
The reason a stroker engine will make more torque is simple physics.

Torque = force x distance

In this case the force is the air/fuel exploding and the distance is the stroke. In both engines the air/fuel mixture will be the same, but the longer stroke of the "stroker" will enable it to produce more torque. Stroker engines make more torque.

cheetah- To answer your question, a 440 stroker does make more power or torque than a 440 bore. Hope this helps.

oregonrider89