PDA

View Full Version : High compression 426/cam question.

Drtridr18
06-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Hey, got a question about your opinions:

I want to wake up the 400 as much as I can for the money-look in my sig. to see what I already have, but at the same time not get too wrapped up into it incase Honda comes out with something new that I can't live without.

Busy lately but admittedly only ride every couple weekends-not too often as I would like, aggresive trail in all kinds of situations, love hillclimbs(within sane reason), don't ride much track at all, but would go for a nice easy jump every now and then, so I think the stock suspension can wait for a bit...don't want to sink too much dough for now.

For now, I was thinking of keeping it relatively bank for buck with a Ross 426 piston & bore (since i won't be porting, big valves or anything else that really makes 440 worthwile), a good gasket kit, and a stage 2 type cam, I'd really like an HRC cam...what do you think about that?

Also, last question, origionally I was just going to go with 11:1 compression so I could eek by on high test pump gas, but thinking for as often as I actually ride, I could go buy a couple 5 gallon cans and run a mix of race and high test if I could sneak it up to 11;12.5:1 or so. What can I safely get away with without stretching head studs like i've heard about, and if I ran a 50/50 mix for price sake, what compression could I take it up to, and how much/what difference would I notice from 11:1 or so to the 12:1 range.

My friend just did a 11:1 stock bore and stock cam deal, he is geared down 1 in front and has 18" tires and still pulls away in the long.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks a lot guys!

06-25-2003, 05:57 PM
sounds good...go hrc for sure...11:1 u can get away with a mixture...12:1 is str8 race gas...and i would go 416 in ur case...seeing anything 425+ tends to get hot without an oil cooler