PDA

View Full Version : backflip soon

400exrules
06-25-2003, 03:18 PM
in one of the bluetraxx forums i read where jon guetter said that there are 2 guys that are going to attempt the backflip on a quad before this summer is over...........:eek2:

Narly R
06-25-2003, 03:20 PM
O ya me too! Ill land it perfecly to!!!!:huh

Its easier said than done!;)

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 03:20 PM
i dout they will, but if they do, it will be everywhere.... i hope

Honda4trax250x
06-25-2003, 03:21 PM
i hope it happens, that might help our sport to get more publicized and maybe even into the X-Games

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 03:28 PM
it is almost physically impossible, the ratio to that of a quad = 2.497 times pi (3.14) to a 185 pound man. that in relationship makes the ramps angle half to be exactly 65.12 degrees with it being 89 feet in the air. in porportion the human must have a strength of 1.468797 bison.

then hope there is no wind

:blah:

2K400ex
06-25-2003, 03:31 PM
ok where the he!! did you come up with thoose fig's Are you a math genious or something??????? i know its going to be hard to do and i know the only back flip i do is when i fall off my 400... lol

Scott-300ex
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
nah dude, i was just jokin

hence the":blah: "

but i did get A's in geometry all year:D

cool 300ex
06-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Dude that would be sweet to see.I heard of peopel doing it on dirtbikes never quads.

300exracer
06-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah dude it would be awsome to see that! I seen guys do it on tv on dirtbikes and it looks preaty nuts.:devil:

trueblue450
06-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Its about time someone tries it. I'm not sure if it will happen, I'll have to see it to believe it. But yea it would be awesome. Guys on Dirtbikes and Snowmobiles have been doing it for awhile, It is definetly time quads jump into the ring.

mxdave28
06-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Oh im very cofident that it "can" be done...heck i made it almost 3/4 around while racing and crashed but, that wasnt my actuall purpose...throttle stuck WFO into the jump and around we went.
so lets see...busted the quad up and busted myself up even more :D :( WORD!:macho

dpizz450
06-25-2003, 04:15 PM
on the forum atv source theres a guy with the screen name rod blaster he has attempted it many times on his highly modded blaster but never landed but he said he came really close!

kicken250x
06-25-2003, 04:17 PM
i would deff try it if i had a quad i wasnt afraid to thrash! that would be the coolest thing ive ever done lol and im sure many could relate there to. if someone were to pur some really heave tires on the back and make the front REALLY light i think it could be done...:o

nacsEX
06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
the only reason nobodys done it yet is cuz none of us have the bean bag to do it, the way freestyles getting in quads i bet it will be done by the end of the summer like they said

kawasaki_ridah
06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
if they can do it on a snowmobile then they can do it on a quad

400exrules
06-25-2003, 04:26 PM
for real, and snowmobiles weigh what, 500lbs? I mean someone is gonna get tired of all the rumors an crap and just say f*uck it and do it..........but even if they attempt it and fail i think they should tape it and put it on tv for the love of god PUT QUADS ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :cuss: :cuss:

im tired of this, THEY PUT THE SPELLING BEE ON ESPN2 BUT NOT QUADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW WUTS MORE INTERESTING AND ENTERTAINING TO YOU AND EVERY OTHER ACTION VIEWER

:confused2

crazybuffalo
06-25-2003, 04:33 PM
didnt someone on here say they were gonna try it over a lake or something on a 400 about 6 months ago?

06-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
on the forum atv source theres a guy with the screen name rod blaster he has attempted it many times on his highly modded blaster but never landed but he said he came really close!

yes i have asked him before and the farthest he told me he could get was the top of the front wheels hitting the ground. kinda sucked. but hey 0 out of 4 aint bad when he seems to be the only one with balls

hondafox440
06-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Any proof this kid actually attempted it? The bull**** flag started waving when I read that. I think it would be easier on a sled than a quad because the drivetrain of the sled has so much more mass, hence more momentum to fling the sled over. I think only Jim Rippley pulled the backy on a sled, and several others have tried but failed. One guy got killed trying it. Hasn't Pastrana landed a backy on a little Quadsport 80 already?

kicken250x
06-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
if they can do it on a snowmobile then they can do it on a quad

you gotta think tho...there is a WHOLE LOT more rotating mass behind a slead than there is a 4 wheeler. that track weighs a good what...100 lbs give or take (more likely give) to the 4 wheelers...30 maybe? thats alot more to throw that slead around than for a 4 wheeler. JMO tho...

Honda4trax250x
06-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Any proof this kid actually attempted it? The bull**** flag started waving when I read that. I think it would be easier on a sled than a quad because the drivetrain of the sled has so much more mass, hence more momentum to fling the sled over. I think only Jim Rippley pulled the backy on a sled, and several others have tried but failed. One guy got killed trying it. Hasn't Pastrana landed a backy on a little Quadsport 80 already?

IMO its easier on a quad because the front of a sled is a lot heavier then the back where as on a quad it is more spread out

Narly R
06-25-2003, 06:27 PM
^ have I heard this story before?^:ermm:

Mxbubs
06-25-2003, 06:53 PM
[/B]
but i did get A's in geometry all year:D [/B]

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

UglyMotha™
06-26-2003, 01:50 AM
i tried a backflip a month ago and this is what happend :o

crap-banshee32
06-26-2003, 01:56 AM
thats 2 more guys that could possibly be out for the rest of the reason

xxg0tn0lifexx
06-26-2003, 03:44 AM
i think its phisically impossible, but if someone pulls it off, then... welcome to the xgames atv's

bansheeguy77
06-26-2003, 04:37 AM
its very easily done....just takes the bean bag to do it. i would try it if i had a quad that i didnt have to fix up till i got doing the backflip down. the bike guys had to practice alot but they did it. just put alot of preload in the rear shock so it kicks ya

TeamC&GRacer
06-26-2003, 04:42 AM
it will be done soon, or atleast tried

xxg0tn0lifexx
06-26-2003, 04:42 AM
ya, i hear ya

MojaveKing
06-26-2003, 04:56 AM
it will be done by the end of the summer like they said
yes it will!!:devil: and it will be in H6:devil: :D :D

it will be done

hessianmx111
06-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
its very easily done....just takes the bean bag to do it. i would try it if i had a quad that i didnt have to fix up till i got doing the backflip down. the bike guys had to practice alot but they did it. just put alot of preload in the rear shock so it kicks ya
if you just attempted it you would prolly pick up a few sponsors or get semi famous. everybody always says they would try if they had a crapper bike but i gotta call bullchit on 99.9% of them. a backflip is much harder than most would think. sure pastrana said it was easy but hes pastrana he doesnt know what its like to be any less skilled than he is. ive seen pics at freestylemtx message boards of a couple of dudes in aus that are awesome freestylers can bust out ssgs,rocksolids, and what not, and they didnt get any where near a full rotation and this was on bikes.

and about a sled pulling a flip they are basically automatic so when your upside down and panic revving youve got that huge track and when your pinned that track is basically going as fast as it can where as on a quad if you were in second gear all you have is those 2 tires and however fast your tires will move in second gear. and travis has claimed to have done it on a small suzuki atv.

stepupmx
06-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Ill try it on an old bayoo 300 :D

400exrules
06-26-2003, 05:51 AM
better yet, a utility :huh

how bout the polaris diesal :huh :huh :huh

JLanphear
06-26-2003, 06:02 AM
I think it was Huevos 4 where that modded Banshee was doing a hill climb and at the very top it caught traction and did a complete backflip. The rider fell off, but the quad did the whole rotation and landed on it's wheelies. It was really fast and it wasn't very high, but it did it. I wonder if it still would have flipped like that if the rider was still on....

What I just said doesn't really mean much, but every time I see that I wonder.

Oh, and yeah, somebody on here about 6 months ago did say they were gonna try it in a lake. I believe the person was from New Hampshire. haven't heard any more about it though.

Lots of people talk about it....

-Josh

UglyMotha™
06-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Oh, and yeah, somebody on here about 6 months ago did say they were gonna try it in a lake. I believe the person was from New Hampshire. haven't heard any more about it though.

yah i remember at they hype that dude created i thought it was mostly bs though, he was just looking for attention :huh

well either he tried and he's dead now, thats why we haven't heard from him or he pussied out and couldn't show his face back here :ermm:

400exrules
06-26-2003, 06:19 AM
ya i remember that on the hill climb segment, the guys quad popped up a bit and he had like the throttle pinned and when the back tires touched ground it just shot him off and launched into the air and did a backflip while he falls down the hill

cheetah
06-26-2003, 06:22 AM
I think it was Huevos 4 where that modded Banshee was doing a hill climb and at the very top it caught traction and did a complete backflip. The rider fell off, but the quad did the whole rotation and landed on it's wheelies. It was really fast and it wasn't very high, but it did it. I wonder if it still would have flipped like that if the rider was still on....

That's true. I never thought about that. The banshee did a quick flip and if a rider was on the far back that could only add weight for momentum.

RAGE
06-26-2003, 06:29 AM
If the guy said it 6 months ago and was in New Hampshire it would have been over a frozen lake.

JLanphear
06-26-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by RAGE
If the guy said it 6 months ago and was in New Hampshire it would have been over a frozen lake.

Haha...that's true. The one I am speaking of was probably more like a year ago....Good point ;)

Fast250EX
06-26-2003, 06:48 AM
I would think it wouldn't be quite as bad to do with a sport Honda. The weight distrubution that allows easy wheelies would also allow easier backflips than most quads. The first time I jumpes my EX I went totally vertical because I wasn't used to how the weight was spread out.

I think a nice, modded 250R with about 22-25 inch rear tires for more rotating mass could do it. The high revving characteristics of a 2 stroke combined with a larger than average rotating mass and someone with good upper body strength could pull it off.

Now we just need someone with balls to pull it off... and there lies the problem.:rolleyes:

kawasaki_ridah
06-26-2003, 07:02 AM

What I just said doesn't really mean much, but every time I see that I wonder.

Lots of people talk about it....

-Josh

even if he did land i dont think they would give him credit on account it was pure luck!!, he would have to say "I am doing a backflip" then complete it and have like 30 camaras watching him

400exrules
06-26-2003, 07:10 AM
i wanna c someone do a backflip on a 3-stroke dirtbike, or has it been done?

it seems like all the 2-stroker freestyle guy are gonna be moving to 4-strokes in a few years soon if they do ban 2-strokes

400exrules
06-26-2003, 07:10 AM
oops i mean a 4-stroke dirtbike

lmao i hit the 3

UglyMotha™
06-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i wanna c someone do a backflip on a 3-stroke dirtbike, or has it been done?

it seems like all the 2-stroker freestyle guy are gonna be moving to 4-strokes in a few years soon if they do ban 2-strokes

wwhhhaaaaaa :confused:

JLanphear
06-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
even if he did land i dont think they would give him credit on account it was pure luck!!, he would have to say "I am doing a backflip" then complete it and have like 30 camaras watching him

Correct, but it would prove that it was possible. Even though I believe it is anyway.

kawasaki_ridah
06-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Correct, but it would prove that it was possible. Even though I believe it is anyway.

im sure it is possible. but we will have to wait and see, someone should do it on a lt 80 or something

400exrules
06-26-2003, 07:22 AM
how about a blaster? light and 2 stroke

they need to start practicing in a foam pit like the dirtbike guys did

K2Snow
06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Dude Nausty is always posting pics of him doing jumps and tricks. Let's get a fund together so he can try a backflip ;) If (when) he wrecks, he can pay to fix his bike.

kawasaki_ridah
06-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by K2Snow
Dude Nausty is always posting pics of him doing jumps and tricks. Let's get a fund together so he can try a backflip ;) If (when) he wrecks, he can pay to fix his bike.

alot of ppl post pix of jumping and doing trix. but if nausty is up for it i will donate 10 $ :p

Fast250EX
06-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Nausty tricks are kickass but he just doesn't seem like a guy that would go out and bust a backflip. I don't think anyone really seems like it come to think of it. I can see him busting out a huge superman then letting go of the bars and waving at people easier than him doing a backflip. It just doesn't seem like his style.

I honestly think anyone attempting a backflip is sort of a dumbass in a certain respect. They are willing to go out and have a huge risk of seriously f***ing themselves up for a chance at fame. If someone even did do it, anyone that totally worshipped him would have someone else that knew the b*stard was lucky and wouldn't be happy until he did it again.

Anyone wanting to try it though, I'm not against it. It is indeed a lot easier said than done. What seems easy now has you soiling yourself as you hop on your quad right before launch.

If someone does decide to do it, more power to them and I just hope they don't kill themselves. Wouldn't that be a bad newspaper headline?

"Dumbass Kills Himself Attempting Backflip on Quad"

lol :p

Scott-300ex
06-26-2003, 08:12 AM
to the guy saying about preloading the back suspension, i think you would need to preload the front or the back end would kick up and you want it to kick down, for a front flip you would need to preload the back, see what im sayin?:ermm:

also, i to wondered if a 4 stroke quad would cut out if upside down like that, even though it wouldn't be for very long

quads cost a lot more to fix and have more parts to break than bikes so im sure that is a factor to it hasn't been done yet, also, im sure they wouldn't get it on the first time, so they would have to fix it after every attempt

and kawasaki_rida, people say that pastrana tried it on an lt 80 like you suggested

in about 10 years a backflip might be old news, who knows, then the tread title will state

"when are we going to see a double backflip on a quad"

lol

Nausty
06-26-2003, 08:20 AM
i'm pretty sure it could be done but I never get the feeling or confidence to realistically think I can pull a back flip on the ramps I have and even if I did i'd learn one on a bmx bike first. I think I gotta pretty good idea on how I need to preload it and what I need to do on the ramp which I would wanna soften up the rear shock a lot so that its easier to preload it the way I want and also I think i'd wanna some taller heavier tires. Still though maybe in a few years I might think about it but I wouldn't try it unless I was very confident I was gonna land it.

edgerat
06-26-2003, 08:35 AM
If it is attempted it should be attempted on a fast revving 2-stroke like an R so the quad is light enough to yank it around but also carry the revs to get the tires to spin. That is a big part of it. When we were first learning b/f's with our 8th scale race cars some of the idjits would let off in mid-air instead of keeping it pegged. The trick is keeping the tires going(DUH) so that they will wing you around. It can be done it is just a matter of when.
Isaac

Fast250EX
06-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Think of the stress the swingarm and rear would have to go through. The rotation force would all come down on the swingarm if you land it. I would definately beef up the upper shock mounts. It would be a bad situation if the upper shock mount let go. I don't think anyone would wanna have to yank an Elka out their ***, lol.:rolleyes:

I think if someone gets the backflip down pat, the next step would be doing tricks while also doing a backflip. You could do a no-footed can while doing the rotation of a backflip. Everything keeps on getting more technical!! AHHHH!!!

400exrules
06-26-2003, 08:43 AM
u know wut the sickest trick would be next to a barrel role

like a 180 degree spin and land backwards and keep rollin

or a 360 degree spin :eek2:

MxBlaster2x
06-26-2003, 09:03 AM
on travis pastranas movie it has him doing a 360 off of the bike and he could get on it but he couldnt land it it was sweet

Nausty
06-26-2003, 09:19 AM
i'm sure barrel rolls are possible, its all in the ramp though. I watch a thing on tv where they had a guy who did it in cars all the time until he retired he had done like 50 or so successful barrel rolls. He was also in one of the 007 movies.

born-to-race
06-26-2003, 10:04 AM
You guys say snowmobiles can do 1 because of the weight. But the dirtbikes they do them on would be really light. What's up with that? If someone does do 1 it will probably be done on an R.

Scott-300ex
06-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by edgerat
If it is attempted it should be attempted on a fast revving 2-stroke like an R so the quad is light enough to yank it around but also carry the revs to get the tires to spin
Isaac

still, a quad isn't that easy to yank and move it around like that

and ^^^, it would really suck to ruin a perfectly good R, but i know what your sayin, maybe a blaster should be used:rolleyes:

Wired
06-26-2003, 12:13 PM
haha you guys crack me up, seriously!!!

alright... here's what i have to say to everyone...

you guys have little faith.... it will be done, it will be before 2004, and it will be on a 4 stroke :bandit:

Scott-300ex
06-26-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Wired
:bandit:

don't smoke dude........its bad for your health

Fast250EX
06-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Wired, you seem awfully confident in your opinion. You don't know anything do you?:D

MojaveKing
06-26-2003, 05:19 PM
. it will be done, it will be before 2004, and it will be on a 4 stroke
hahahhahaha lol what did i tel u guys.......it will be done:D ...and on a 4stroke!! man....4stroke Power!!:D :D
wired.....barts goin to call ya....sometime....

Wired
06-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Fast250EX
Wired, you seem awfully confident in your opinion. You don't know anything do you?:D

i know nothing ;) or do i? :confused2

exriderdude
06-28-2003, 03:11 PM
id try it:ermm: